Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:23 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times

Advertisements

Oil continued its record run over $120 per barrel today and some analysts are predicting $5 gas this summer. I think its time the people responsible for this mass robbery of the American consumer are held accountable. This may be far fetched but I think Bush and Cheney need to be arrested immediately, followed by oil executives and speculators. This administration has sold our entire country and way of life for profit. What ever happened to the government standing up for the consumer against corporate greed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 11:27 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Oil continued its record run over $120 per barrel today and some analysts are predicting $5 gas this summer. I think its time the people responsible for this mass robbery of the American consumer are held accountable. This may be far fetched but I think Bush and Cheney need to be arrested immediately, followed by oil executives and speculators. This administration has sold our entire country and way of life for profit. What ever happened to the government standing up for the consumer against corporate greed?
I don't know about Bush/Cheney, but Greenspan and Bernanke should probably be put in front of a firing squad for their crimes against the citizens of this great nation. Actually, Paulson should take the bullet. Greenspan and Bernanke should get the injection.

Gotta hand it to the Chinese, they knew how to deal with the fraudulent bureaucrats.

Pharmalot » China Executes Former FDA Head

Old 05-05-2008, 11:30 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
I don't know about Bush/Cheney, but Greenspan and Bernanke should probably be put in front of a firing squad for their crimes against the citizens of this great nation.
Forgot about them, they should go down too. Gas and food prices are a FAR greater threat to this economy than home prices. Bernanke is INCOMPETENT for not realizing that.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:41 PM

955 posts, read 2,157,642 times
Quote:
Well, the election is coming up so you can vote for a new team. Unfortunately, the new team will not be from China or India, the countries tha are forcing demand way up.

By the way, do you believe that if the oil companies were operating at zero profit, then gas would be at $1.00 per gallon? If you do, I would love to see the math. The oil companies are making about ten cents on a dollar of revenue. Exxon made $40B on $400B in sales. So if they only charged $360B for their product, they would have broken even, the Treasury would not have received the $29B in income taxes that they paid, and a lot of pension funds would be in much worse shape.

Be careful of what you ask for. The oil companies will just close up shop in this country and move overseas, taking jobs with them. Then who will you blame? The ultimate in outsourcing, but, never fear, we will retrain the workers to do something else.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:47 PM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
---
If nothing else, $5/gal will keep some of the riff-raff off the roadways in number. Hey, here's an idea! Let's go back to 55mph for another 10+ years! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Po' Bush, po' Cheney, get blamed for every thing under the sun, and yet, if something goes good/correct/right, they get blamed for that, too.

GO USA!

Old 05-05-2008, 12:56 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
---
If nothing else, $5/gal will keep some of the riff-raff off the roadways in number. Hey, here's an idea! Let's go back to 55mph for another 10+ years! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Po' Bush, po' Cheney, get blamed for every thing under the sun, and yet, if something goes good/correct/right, they get blamed for that, too.

GO USA!
Let us know when they do something good/correct/right. Only a few more months left in this administration. Time's running short.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Let us know when they do something good/correct/right. Only a few more months left in this administration. Time's running short.
---
"Only a few more months," eh? How about eight months. Time is long, sir, very long for all you naysayers.

Now, can we get back on topic? Like if gas DOES go to $5/gal, how will that effect/affect you and yorn? Me? I don't drive as much as I usta, and as much as it kills my soul to pay out that much, if I have to, I will, I have no other choice. Thank God I live in a small community, not in a metroplex. I can still walk - no wheelchairs for me - or ride a bicycle, or even hitch a ride, I'm confident. I'm also retired, so I have no driving need to get to work.

GO USA!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
---
"Only a few more months," eh? How about eight months. Time is long, sir, very long for all you naysayers.

Now, can we get back on topic? Like if gas DOES go to $5/gal, how will that effect/affect you and yorn? Me? I don't drive as much as I usta, and as much as it kills my soul to pay out that much, if I have to, I will, I have no other choice. Thank God I live in a small community, not in a metroplex. I can still walk - no wheelchairs for me - or ride a bicycle, or even hitch a ride, I'm confident. I'm also retired, so I have no driving need to get to work.

GO USA!
I take the Metrorail to work. I just laugh harder at the whiny SUV owners.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I take the Metrorail to work. I just laugh harder at the whiny SUV owners.
---
Well, be happy you aren't laughing at me, perhaps with me. I own three antiques: 82 Volvo 240, 81 Chevy pickup, 73 Volvo 1800ES. First one is the primary, second is for hauling stuff, third is, is, is, well, it's paid for and I like it, just need to ride it more.

Do you even OWN a vehicle?

GO USA!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
---
Well, be happy you aren't laughing at me, perhaps with me. I own three antiques: 82 Volvo 240, 81 Chevy pickup, 73 Volvo 1800ES. First one is the primary, second is for hauling stuff, third is, is, is, well, it's paid for and I like it, just need to ride it more.

Do you even OWN a vehicle?

GO USA!
Porsche 986
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies