Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2020, 10:01 AM

953 posts, read 740,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
It's suppression because many poor people do not have the means to pay for an ID, or to stand in line for hours at the BMV to get an ID.
How they get welfare, cars, cigarettes, booze, bank accounts, cash paychecks. you people are so damn stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 10:46 AM

24,623 posts, read 19,105,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Because not everyone has an ID, especially those living on the fringe of society, illegal immigrants, former felons, etc.

Sucks to be them.

That is not a valid reason not to have an ID.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:57 AM

52,007 posts, read 52,457,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My state will issue a free state voter ID for registered voters who do not have a valid ID. One can also cast an absentee ballot if you are 60 or disabled and if you can not afford a certified birth certificate you can sign a form stating you are indigent and can not obtain such forms.
These issues are fairly easily solved. Like you stated, sign a form or whatever. We need to have some control over who votes. This stuff should be fairly obvious to people. Some people for whatever reason seem to be hell bent on loosening the standards in terms of voting. I can't imagine anything but nefarious reasons, really, if we're to stand back and really take a look at things.

I'm to the point that people should be required to vote in person with valid ID and on paper ballots, nothing that can be hacked or manipulated like electronic voting can possibly be.

I understand that older people with poor health and infirmed we can see about making exceptions, but the vast majority we shouldn't have to.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:07 AM

1,768 posts, read 565,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Some real asinine arguments here in this thread, just like I posted earlier, my co-worker comes up with the most inane reason to not have to have an ID to vote.

When getting a hotel room or picking up a prescription requires more verification than voting, we've got some priorities wrong here.
I've never been asked for ID when picking up a prescription. I've picked up prescriptions for other people, and had other people pick up mine.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:12 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Sucks to be them.

That is not a valid reason not to have an ID.
Actually it is...Technically, Govt cannot FORCE anyone to purchase ANYTHING, as it relates to exercising one of their rights, and in this case, that would be voting.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:14 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,348,532 times
How is having to show ID voter suppression?

It's not. Liberals just don't like the idea of verifying voter ID because they can't win without their fictitious, non-existence voters. Liberals cheat to win.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:14 AM

88,788 posts, read 44,594,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
It's suppression because many poor people do not have the means to pay for an ID, or to stand in line for hours at the BMV to get an ID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
I've never been asked for ID when picking up a prescription. I've picked up prescriptions for other people, and had other people pick up mine.
I have, and do. Also have to show an ID when I check in for an MD appointment. Hell, I even have to show my ID when I board my dog. You have to show an ID and sign a log book to enter a public school, as well. ID needed for a lot of things... rent an apartment, buy land and/or a house, apply for public assistance benefits, etc.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:16 AM

11,208 posts, read 8,263,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Simple question.
I think it's not, IF you can remove the cost of getting said ID, and any logistical barriers.

Now that we've settled that, can you tell me what is the added value of showing an ID.

You don't have to be a resident to get an ID
You can easily get a fake ID (DL, SS Card, etc.)

So what does it really solve if someone shows you a fraudulent ID so they can vote. Does it make you "feel better"?

Old 12-07-2020, 11:17 AM

52,007 posts, read 52,457,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Ok.

I was just at the CVS near my house a while ago, and I had to show an ID, but whatever, it still doesn't change my post really.

We have to have ID for a host of reasons, voting should be one of them.

Old 12-07-2020, 11:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,514,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I have, and do. Also have to show an ID when I check in for an MD appointment. Hell, I even have to show my ID when I board my dog. You have to show an ID and sign a log book to enter a public school, as well. ID needed for a lot of things... rent an apartment, buy land and/or a house, apply for public assistance benefits, etc.
Gee, I wonder why and how it ever got to this point in the first place?! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies