Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 07:01 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaViews View Post
Not sure why Republicans are getting so incited on the forums lately, not having even given our new President Biden a chance.

So many are talking violence, fighting, martial law and even civil war. I just went on NTD Live on YouTube, with some robot sounding news announcer & a chat room full of 37K people saying "Trump Won. Biden Jail. hearts galore for Trump" Just bizarre. I've always known Trump to be a mogul Playboy, who vacillated between Dem & Rep, was a charismatic comedian, and was known for being a con artist. I lived NYC during the 1980's when he was a fixture there.

I've been reading about Trump's plan since 2015 to claim rigged elections, either as a back-up plan if were to ever lose when running for the presidency, or on a darker more sinister level (and cynical), as an attempt to turn our Democracy into his own socialized dictatorship with everyone under his thumb. Wouldn't put it past him. I recall him pondering in interviews whether he would run as Dem or Rep if he were to run for President, but ultimately chose the party he thought he could have more influence over. He was correct, Republicans loved him. But in TV interviews, Trump always claimed the economy did better under Democratic presidents, and that he was pro-choice.
I’m not for a civil war, but Biden has had 40 years and he has proven time and again he is just part of the establishment elite like the rest of them. The problem is the establishment elite want globalism at the expense of Americans. They are taking it too far but as long as they are getting wealthy why would they stop pushing for it?

Old 12-04-2020, 07:38 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Good post. I will relish the day when they start investigating those posters here to see how many are really on the CCP/Big Tech/Globalist troll payrolls.
You really do have to wonder when they literally post 24 hours a day.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:59 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
This is one of those rare occasions where the OP and I agree. There's no common ground, there's no room for compromise, the chasim too great, and nothing left to say.

So skin them smoke wagons and let's boogie!

Old 12-04-2020, 08:00 PM

16,082 posts, read 10,747,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm wondering why the OP keeps floating these seditious posts.
OP is more than flirting with sedition and conspiracy or direct promotion of violence. Why are we coddling these whackos? The threat of civil war has nothing to do with the linked citation. That is tota!ly OP.

Old 12-04-2020, 08:44 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post
No we just need a fair election both sides can believe In. We need to know the truth . If Biden honestly won then so be it. But each state needs to explain the fraud and avadavit . Complete transparency is what is needed.
No, Trump is claiming fraud so it's up to him to prove it which he has yet to do. It's just been smoke and mirrors so far with Rudy in charge.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:11 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
People can argue till they're blue in the face about there being election fraud or not. In the end it doesn't matter what really happened. How people feel about it is of more importance. A substantial percentage of the population does not accept this as a legitimate election. A substantial portion of the population, and the vast majority of the country by land area, does not want to live under the sort of government Biden represents. The urbanites don't want to live under the sort of government Trump represents. Both sides consider the other a danger to certain rights they value. We can either find some sort of peaceful solution to the division (perhaps dividing the country up by county level, maintaining freedom to travel between the different areas for everyone, and turning the federal government into essentially a defense alliance to maintain our military power globally), or things will continue to smolder until someone willing to be the 21st century John Brown ignites the irreversible.

I'm not entirely sure it would be such a bad thing to actually allow everyone itching for a fight to go at it under some sort of semi-controlled circumstances. Bloodlust sometimes burns out once people see the reality of it and get it out of them. But I do suspect the country is on the path to civil war and when that takes off it will not be pretty. I suspect an economic collapse within the next year is likely and that may cut the last thread holding the country together.

Old 12-04-2020, 09:28 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,237,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
The American People! Sadly I just don’t see any other alternatives. For the most part our representatives only care about their own personal interests and the American people be damned!

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...l-pass-senate/
A lot of men and women died to keep America free. I am not ready to give up on it, yet.

There are unforeseen consequences to a divided America whether it is from political, economic, social divisions, etc.

The worst consequence, and the one most likely to happen, is an attack from Russia and/or China, either directly or through proxies, on a divided, weakened America. And this has me seriously considering retiring in Ecuador.

America better get it's **** together soon or we all may regret our childishness.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 12-04-2020 at 10:29 PM..

Old 12-04-2020, 09:34 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivenine View Post
We may disagree from time to time, but you've hit the nail on the head.

We elect the same people who put lobbying interests about the people they serve, who can't work together to save their own lives, who can't manage funds, and can't hold themselves accountable. You and I would be fired if our record was such, but yet we keep voting in the same folks because they have a D or an R by their name or because they said they were a good Christian man.

To add to that we also need to want better for our community as well. We can't say we need to change if we expect others to do that change for us.
Until we hold our own to the same level of accountability that we do the other side nothing will change.

Many of the same elected reps who caused the banking collapse, who spent us 23 trillion into debt, were just re-elected.

Why do we give Pelosi the free pass? The ACA is not a good law and never was. They had the super majority, we could have had Universal health care. Those same reps voted to do nothing when US citizens were killed in Benghazi but some how feel US military response is needed when it's Syrian citizens dying. WE re-elect them anyway.

Border security and dealing with illegals. These same elected reps have been kicking that can down the road for decades. Biden was one of them. We re-elect them.

I know this if I had failed to meet my employer's expectations so completely, I would have been fired for it.

Old 12-04-2020, 10:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Dont need a civil war. We need folks to hold their own party accountable. Stop playing the my team against your team game. That's how we got stuck with Trump. That's how we get choices like Trump or Biden, Trump or Hillary. If your candidate isn't doing what they promised fire them. If the country isn't headed in the right direction fire the bums. We give our elected reps a free pass for absolutely ignoring their employers. How many of you would get a free pass for the same job performance we see from Congress? We are in 2 forever wars and we tell our elected reps, Good Job by re-electing them. We are 23 trillion in debt and we reward our elected reps by re-electing them. They should be fired.
The problem is besides Trump, incumbents either A didn't run or B lost their bid for a second bid if there was a strong primary against the incumbent. As much as many say that Perot hurt H.W. Bush's re-election, Buchanan already put a heavy ding in the Bush armor due to running against the tax increases due to the S&L crisis write-off. Going back to 1912, President (and future Supreme Court Justice) Taft lost thanks to the Progressive Republicans aligning with Teddy Roosevelt after a contentious Republican nomination battle. Similarly LBJ declined a third term bid (he had an abbreviated first term of under two years) after McCarthy nearly beat Johnson in the 1968 New Hampshire primary. Ford lost in 1976, partially due to a hard fight in the primaries to future 1980 Republican nominee Reagan. Reagan won in 1980 after a contentious Democratic nominee fight between incumbent President Carter and Senator (Ted) Kennedy. Trump's 2020 loss bucks the trend due to the pandemic and racial tension. Some of this is a simplified and I am sure there was a lot of other issues (namely civil unrest, economic unrest and other political turmoil) but a lot of this would lead to incumbents being tried in the primaries.

I think part of the problem is most times people stick with what feels comfortable. This is why incumbents typically win. Presidentially, John Addams, John Quincy Addams, Martin Van Buren, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, Herbert Hoover, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush and now Donald Trump are the only ones to lose as an incumbent. Out of 58 total elections, only nine incumbents lost. Several more didn't seek a re-election bid or didn't get the party's nomination. Similarly, while many (especially on here) bemoan political dynasties like the Roosevelts, the Kennedys, the Bushes, the Clintons, etc. there are many who think of candidates in those family with high regard, especially if there are good feelings with them. For instance, Bobby Kennedy was a favorite to win the Democratic nomination after LBJ backed out in 1968, not just for his speaking, but that people associated the good of JFK to RFK. The Bush children were looked at fondly at the time they became governors due to their dad. Not that H.W. Bush was that great of a president (he had a lot of Reaganomic issues to handle) but Bush wasn't terrible. Now you have a number of those that were against political dynasties wanting Trump.

I do agree we need to be far less accepting of incumbents, but there is a bias towards going to familiar and not wanting to rock the boat too much. Rocking the boat often backfires on the party that goes to that. We saw that with Trump and also McGovern.

Old 12-04-2020, 11:25 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The problem is besides Trump, incumbents either A didn't run or B lost their bid for a second bid if there was a strong primary against the incumbent. As much as many say that Perot hurt H.W. Bush's re-election, Buchanan already put a heavy ding in the Bush armor due to running against the tax increases due to the S&L crisis write-off. Going back to 1912, President (and future Supreme Court Justice) Taft lost thanks to the Progressive Republicans aligning with Teddy Roosevelt after a contentious Republican nomination battle. Similarly LBJ declined a third term bid (he had an abbreviated first term of under two years) after McCarthy nearly beat Johnson in the 1968 New Hampshire primary. Ford lost in 1976, partially due to a hard fight in the primaries to future 1980 Republican nominee Reagan. Reagan won in 1980 after a contentious Democratic nominee fight between incumbent President Carter and Senator (Ted) Kennedy. Trump's 2020 loss bucks the trend due to the pandemic and racial tension. Some of this is a simplified and I am sure there was a lot of other issues (namely civil unrest, economic unrest and other political turmoil) but a lot of this would lead to incumbents being tried in the primaries.

I think part of the problem is most times people stick with what feels comfortable. This is why incumbents typically win. Presidentially, John Addams, John Quincy Addams, Martin Van Buren, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, Herbert Hoover, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush and now Donald Trump are the only ones to lose as an incumbent. Out of 58 total elections, only nine incumbents lost. Several more didn't seek a re-election bid or didn't get the party's nomination. Similarly, while many (especially on here) bemoan political dynasties like the Roosevelts, the Kennedys, the Bushes, the Clintons, etc. there are many who think of candidates in those family with high regard, especially if there are good feelings with them. For instance, Bobby Kennedy was a favorite to win the Democratic nomination after LBJ backed out in 1968, not just for his speaking, but that people associated the good of JFK to RFK. The Bush children were looked at fondly at the time they became governors due to their dad. Not that H.W. Bush was that great of a president (he had a lot of Reaganomic issues to handle) but Bush wasn't terrible. Now you have a number of those that were against political dynasties wanting Trump.

I do agree we need to be far less accepting of incumbents, but there is a bias towards going to familiar and not wanting to rock the boat too much. Rocking the boat often backfires on the party that goes to that. We saw that with Trump and also McGovern.
I think too many Americans act like groupies waiting outside a tour bus when it comes to politicians. The way they defend a Trump or a Biden but will try to crucify someone on the opposites side for the exact same behaviors.
Kavanaugh and Bill Clinton? The left was all in defending Bill and his accusers were 100% credible. Those same people tried to crucify Kavanaugh with far less evidence. Turn the page Biden is caused and the Lynch mob that screamed that all accusers deserve to be believed, suddenly turned into public defender for Biden. The hypocrisy is amazing.

Let's be honest. Forget Trump and Biden. Imagine if a nobody grabbed and sniffed young girls like the hundreds of photos show Biden doing. The outrage would lead to absolute action. Yet both Biden and Trump get a free pass from their supporters. It really is sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies