Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 07:41 AM

5,070 posts, read 2,279,232 times

Advertisements

The problem is only half caused by the Dem/Repub divide.

Bigger issue is that the federal government has grown far too large and has been given powers it never should have. There’s a reason this country was set up as a collection of states under a wider umbrella, rather than one simple country.

The more local the decisions that are being made, the more input the individual citizen has. At the federal level, we don’t count and our representatives don’t represent in anything other than the D/R divide mentioned above.

The UK got to the same point with the EU. Sadly for us, we’re not set up for states to be able to leave the union. I’m not sure how we put the genie back in the bottle at this point. Once something has been given, it’s too hard to take back.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:42 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,198,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Well stated

However, this election was not free or fair. If we no longer have free elections, we are living in a totalitarian state.

The democrats have made an incredibly large gamble with this coup attempt. If they win and Biden is sworn in, why in the world would they ever allow any free elections going forward? EVERY election would be rigged (at least the ones that matter) and the oligarchs will have gained control of the US.

Whether you like Trump or not, this issue is far, far greater than one man. We are talking about the integrity of the republic itself.

We have about six more weeks to see if the US remains free or goes down like many other nations have done in the past. I am confident that Trump is the man to save the republic. He has the will, the intelligence, and the means to save the US from the oligarchs. Let's see what unfolds.
Thank you

Old 12-04-2020, 07:42 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Republicans and democrats aren't going to be fighting each other in the streets. You want progress? Take out the richest .01% of the global population. Even then some are good, some are bad. We are dealing with human nature here. What new system would be better than what we have? If you have a roof over your head you can't really complain. A lot of nations barely have functioning sewage treatment systems yet.... Americans whine when the government won't give them free I phones. We are victims of our own success and have become too entitled and don't know how to tough it out.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:45 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I'm as angry at the democrats as you, or anyone else on this board is. But I'd rather just suck it up and pay more taxes and let them have their "win", and get behind an effort to split up the country peacefully if anyone starts working on it. What possible good would come from Civil War II ?
Examine your hearts, people.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:46 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I will admit that I did not read your linked article so perhaps I shouldn't respond, but people seem to be throwing around this idea of civil war pretty casually. I don't think anyone who has been in a war would wish it on anyone. Civil wars I think are the worst of all. A civil war now with the firepower we have in the 21st century would make the Civil War of the 19th century look relatively tame. No, we have not reached that point yet. I think if you truly think seriously about what we'd give up if we had a civil war you'd realize there is no way it would be worth it.
I think too many people romanticize war especially the Civil War. Add that to having people actually believe the lie that Trump had the election stolen from him.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:49 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
been watching the mud sling from both sides for years--- ok boys and girls, time to get back to real life- go to work, plant a garden, find your kids, and check on the elderly. The show is over, the President is on his way in and Trump is on his way OUT. I just hope he doesn't tears down the pillars as he exits from the WH

Old 12-04-2020, 07:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
The American People! Sadly I just don’t see any other alternatives. For the most part our representatives only care about their own personal interests and the American people be damned!

https://www.breitbart.com/economy/20...l-pass-senate/
Instead of a civil war, why not remove the cap on membership in the House? With the cap removed, we would have more representatives, but the representatives would represent smaller numbers of people. With modern technology, representatives could be based in their home districts, where the people they represent could have greater access to them. By being in their home districts, it would lessen the influence of lobbyists (it would be more expensive to gain audiences with the representatives because lobbyists would have to travel more, and lobbyists would be competing with the representatives' constituents.) This would enable third parties to be more likely to get elected, as well. Our legislature is one of the smallest in the world, which some people seem to like, but it comes with a host of problems.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:50 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The left owns the education system in this country, the right handed it over to them without a fight. I'll know when someone is serious about true education reform when they call for schooling to be completely disconnected from political/govt influence.
How does that theory account for deep, long term red states?

Texas has been controlled by conservatives forever. First, it was conservative democrats who morphed into republicans.

The state decides what will be taught and how it is taught. Local districts can select their textbooks from those offered by the state.

There are no teacher unions, teacher cannot strike. And IMO, teachers are the low man on the totem pole when it comes to selecting curriculum.

As I have repeatedly said here, most of my neighbors have no clue what their local tax money is used for or how water gets to their houses.

Old 12-04-2020, 07:51 AM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I think too many people romanticize war especially the Civil War. Add that to having people actually believe the lie that Trump had the election stolen from him.
I think they have PTSD from something-- that's affected them, that won't let them come to a peaceful resolution. scary folks

Old 12-04-2020, 08:14 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Calls for a civil war now is anti-American. Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies