Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 05:14 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,531,165 times

Advertisements

Now...let’s compromise, people! First, let’s accept that the wealthy pay the majority of federal income taxes, and about half of Americans pay nothing. With that in mind, what about this first step:

1) Raise the top bracket (over $400k) 1 percentage point, from 37 to 38. This would be a mid-point from their drop from 39.6 a few years ago.

2) The additional percentage point goes toward paying down the debt. (It would be a drop in the bucket since so few people earn $400k, but it’s a start.)

Old 12-03-2020, 05:15 AM

45,293 posts, read 26,541,776 times
When you realize Republicans are no better than their counterparts, the Democrats.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
When you realize Republicans are no better than their counterparts, the Democrats.
Your response is so typical. This isn’t an all or nothing situation. It’s a matter of degree.

1) Republicans: provide a basic safety net for those incapable of providing for themselves that would allow them to live in very modest apartments and eat basic food. No extra money to allow for smart phones and expensive sneakers. (If they can afford those things, we are giving them too much free money.)

2) Democrats: Give free college, pay off student loans, provide housing subsidies so low-income can live as well as (or better than - take a look at Harris’ rent subsidy proposal!) than the middle class, reparations for black people, health care for illegal aliens, etc.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:34 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,314,002 times
How about a flat tax that everyone pays regardless of income; say 14%. No capital gains tax on assets held more than 3 years, 5% on 2 years, 10% on 1 year or less. No estate tax.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:44 AM

45,293 posts, read 26,541,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Your response is so typical. This isn’t an all or nothing situation. It’s a matter of degree.

1) Republicans: provide a basic safety net for those incapable of providing for themselves that would allow them to live in very modest apartments and eat basic food. No extra money to allow for smart phones and expensive sneakers. (If they can afford those things, we are giving them too much free money.)

2) Democrats: Give free college, pay off student loans, provide housing subsidies so low-income can live as well as (or better than - take a look at Harris’ rent subsidy proposal!) than the middle class, reparations for black people, health care for illegal aliens, etc.
If by typical you mean consistent

By saying the differences the between D's and R's are but a "matter of degree" you are all but agreeing with me. In the totality of govt the differences are razor thin.

I didnt see where you mention cutting spending or eliminating schemes and depts the very existence of which are in contradiction to the your own rulebook i.e. the constitution.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,846,216 times
Makes no sense to me for someone to earmark x% of their income to paying off credit card debt while continuing to use the credit card for discretionary expenses.

I am politically agnostic and don’t view the world through a political lens.

Old 12-03-2020, 05:54 AM

5,352 posts, read 3,241,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Makes no sense to me for someone to earmark x% of their income to paying off credit card debt while continuing to use the credit card for discretionary expenses.

I am politically agnostic and don’t view the world through a political lens.
Yes because Trump Conservatives are Fake Conservatives....bottom line.

The proof is in the original post.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:14 AM

299 posts, read 256,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Now...let’s compromise, people! First, let’s accept that the wealthy pay the majority of federal income taxes, and about half of Americans pay nothing. With that in mind, what about this first step:

1) Raise the top bracket (over $400k) 1 percentage point, from 37 to 38. This would be a mid-point from their drop from 39.6 a few years ago.

2) The additional percentage point goes toward paying down the debt. (It would be a drop in the bucket since so few people earn $400k, but it’s a start.)
Yeah that's a good start but I think the number of people who make more than $400k and the amount of income that would be affected by this suggestion is bigger than you think.

Along the same lines, I think bumping up the Corp Tax rate by a couple of percentage points and the capital gains rate by maybe 10% for people making over $400k would help too. I also wouldn't mind if some of the revenue gained by these tax increases went to improving infrastructure rather than just paying down debt.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
How about a flat tax that everyone pays regardless of income; say 14%. No capital gains tax on assets held more than 3 years, 5% on 2 years, 10% on 1 year or less. No estate tax.
I’d like that, with a large base (say $25,000) not subject to tax to allow low-income to people to pay for rent and food. After that, 17% on all income.

The reason I didn’t suggest that in my OP is because it’s a drastic change. We have a better chance making baby steps.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramer68 View Post
Yeah that's a good start but I think the number of people who make more than $400k and the amount of income that would be affected by this suggestion is bigger than you think.

Along the same lines, I think bumping up the Corp Tax rate by a couple of percentage points and the capital gains rate by maybe 10% for people making over $400k would help too. I also wouldn't mind if some of the revenue gained by these tax increases went to improving infrastructure rather than just paying down debt.
The number of people making 400k is only around 1 or 2%.

Yeah, I’d go for allocating a portion for improving infrastructure - but only those places, like old bridges, that need rebuilding. None of this LA-to-Vegas fast train stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies