Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:07 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
why does the federal government have any say in oil exploration on private property anyway?
Because your supposed "rights" as a property owner are strictly limited by the entity that devises, dispenses, and protects those rights for you to begin with. That would be the government. You have no interest or control over property at all that the law does not extend to you, and there are rights that one could imagine that are not, in fact, so extended. Get used to it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
---
You've heard of eminent domain, yes? It's the "going rage" these days, it seems...
It has been for millennia. Pretty much since societies first got started. It's in the Constitution, it was in the Magna Carta...

Old 05-05-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
---
Do you remember all the touting going on back in the late 70s/early 80s about the abundance of oil from shale in the Colorado Rockies? The cost to process was insurmountable, and accordingly dropped. But I guess if push came to shove, where there's a will, there IS a way.
More like where there's a BILL there's a way. First, it's a ten-dollar bill, then a twenty, then a fifty. Once you start talking about real money, a whole lot of stuff comes into play. Of course, a lot goes out of play as well. As the share of GDP devoted to energy (much of it wasted) goes up, something else gets pressured into going down...

Old 05-05-2008, 04:31 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
What I'm saying is, why are there restrictions on the drilling of private lands? seems like an invasion of liberty to me. you know some oil companies would be huge money just to put in a drill on some ranchers land. since when do the bureaucrats have control of how a rancher can use his land?
TexianPatriot -

I agree with Sanganista. Your rights are really defined solely by what the government allows. The reasons for this are manyfold, not the least of which is the necessity to define and regulate where one person's rights end and another persons' begins. The fact is, no one is allowed to any "whatever they want" on their land - and that's the way it should be. Afterall, would you want your neighbor to be able to put in a toxic waste dump right next to your house?

Ken

Old 05-05-2008, 04:32 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Here is a "cliff notes" version of the Shell project to extract oil from the Alberta Sands:

<b>Seebach:</b> Shell's ingenious approach to oil shale is pretty slick : Columns & Blogs : The Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/news_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_86_4051709,00.html - broken link)

Old 05-05-2008, 05:01 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
TexianPatriot -

I agree with Sanganista. Your rights are really defined solely by what the government allows. The reasons for this are manyfold, not the least of which is the necessity to define and regulate where one person's rights end and another persons' begins. The fact is, no one is allowed to any "whatever they want" on their land - and that's the way it should be. Afterall, would you want your neighbor to be able to put in a toxic waste dump right next to your house?

Ken
Spoken like a man who owns no property.

Is this the responsibility of the federal bureaucracy, or state and local governments? This is what I don't get. The federal government wants to pawn border control off to state and local governments, but wants to regulate how a rancher can use his own land? This is what I'd like to call fascism. My rights are defined by my Creater as outlined in the declaration of independence. Life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness are just a few of these rights. And yes, a neighbor is entitled to do whatever he pleases with his property. And people are entitled to leave find another place to live or pressure the owner of the property to lay off with the toxic waste (the property owner is fully liable for the safe disposal of such waste and could be targeted for various lawsuits if it's proven that he was negligent with hazardous material).

Old 05-05-2008, 05:04 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,873,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Because your supposed "rights" as a property owner are strictly limited by the entity that devises, dispenses, and protects those rights for you to begin with. That would be the government. You have no interest or control over property at all that the law does not extend to you, and there are rights that one could imagine that are not, in fact, so extended. Get used to it...
spoken like a true collectivist. I dare you to tell me what I can and can't do on my own private property. Alot of us native Texans fly this flag over our ranches, just to let the bureaucrats know who they are subject to (we the people).

Old 05-05-2008, 05:08 PM

An interesting number to keep in mind --- 20,000,000 barrels of oil per day. Twenty million. That's what the US is burning up right now.

Another interesting idea --- the US is actually becoming irrelevant. The combination of India, China, Russia, and Middle Eastern countries themselves now consume more oil than the US does. Their demands are all rising. Ours are falling, but it won't matter. Global demand will still increase. So we'll still pay more and more and more so that, while we scrimp and save, Ahmad can have his air conditioned apartment in Dubai and Boris can curse his way through daily traffic jams in Moscow. That's just how it goes these days...

Old 05-06-2008, 08:08 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
An interesting number to keep in mind --- 20,000,000 barrels of oil per day. Twenty million. That's what the US is burning up right now.

Another interesting idea --- the US is actually becoming irrelevant. The combination of India, China, Russia, and Middle Eastern countries themselves now consume more oil than the US does. Their demands are all rising. Ours are falling, but it won't matter. Global demand will still increase. So we'll still pay more and more and more so that, while we scrimp and save, Ahmad can have his air conditioned apartment in Dubai and Boris can curse his way through daily traffic jams in Moscow. That's just how it goes these days...
How do you consider over 25% of global consumption irrelevant?

It is also important to note that the estimate given in the OP is only the currently recoverable reserve. The actual estimated reserve is upwards of 300 giga-barrels (40 years of consumption at current rate), considered the largest reserve of any country in the planet and the only thing between it and us is research.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:46 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Spoken like a man who owns no property.
Actually I own property both here in Seattle and in SE Arizona.

Quote:
This is what I'd like to call fascism.
You can call it whatever you want - that doesn't mean that's what it is.

Quote:
My rights are defined by my Creater as outlined in the declaration of independence.
And clearly those rights must include skipping spelling in school.

Quote:
My rights are defined by my Creater as outlined in the declaration of independence. Life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness are just a few of these rights.
Since you are intent on referencing the Declaration of Independence, maybe you should actually READ it once or twice. Nothing about property in that document.

Quote:
And yes, a neighbor is entitled to do whatever he pleases with his property. And people are entitled to leave find another place to live or pressure the owner of the property to lay off with the toxic waste (the property owner is fully liable for the safe disposal of such waste and could be targeted for various lawsuits if it's proven that he was negligent with hazardous material).
Yeah, well, somehow I doubt you'd feel the same way if it actually happened to you.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies