Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 09:29 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times

Advertisements

The real issue is that she didn't actually earn a spot as a kicker based on her own merits. They merely placed her there because she's a woman. That's not any kind of accomplishment. It's an embarrassment.

This is what a Division I kicker should be able to do.
"55+ yard field goal range off the ground. 60+ FG range off a 1-inch block.
70+ yard kickoff range off a 1-inch kickoff tee.
Solid fundamentals. Good ball rotation and height on kicks.
Many division one scholarship athletes can kick 60+ yard field goals off the ground. If your range is closer to 55, you are more likely to be a walk-on candidate."
https://thekickingcoach.com/kicking-scholarship/

Sarah Fuller's kickoff landed 25 yards away and bounced 5 more yards for a grand total of 30 yards. This is quite a distance away from the 70 yard recommended range. If there is a female able to accomplish this in the future and make a Division I team on their own merits, then Sarah Fuller will have ruined that accomplishment by being placed there previously, merely due to her gender.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 09:29 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times
In the video, the segment between 19sec and 24 sec is the appropriate response

"We all see it"... No need to say anything.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:50 PM

8,241 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Because not a single one of those lifelong extremely exceptional, multi-sport male athletes can place kick a football?

Are you reading what you're typing?
Vanderbilt approached her. They were having trouble finding someone to kick the ball for them.

It's Vanderbilt. What can you expect? Tennessee wipes the field with them every year.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Not really correct on "small" colleges. New Mexico is in the top division and has more students than Vanderbilt. Katy Knida was on Colorado's roster but didn't play, but transferred and did kick and score for New Mexico about 20 years ago.

And the stunt didn't help the Vandy coach. He still got fired.
Hadn't heard about that one. They had some in WV and VA.

Vandy's coach was toast for a long time. It won't really help much though. It's Vandy.

This shouldn't have been such media hype. I felt sorry for Fuller after I saw her kick. All she did was agree to help out the team and unwittingly opened herself up to be nationally bashed for it. It shouldn't have happened like that. I hope she at least gets more practice and improves some to save face a little.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:12 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Vanderbilt approached her. They were having trouble finding someone to kick the ball for them.

It's Vanderbilt. What can you expect? Tennessee wipes the field with them every year.
Do you really believe nobody on that team could do it?

Don't be ridiculous. That's so dumb it's offensive.

Old 12-08-2020, 10:32 PM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
She's a known quantity...she sucks.

She could not compete in 8th grade punt pass and kick. You don't need to see me pitch two games in the majors, or minors, or college, to know I don't belong there.
She miss hit one kick. If you threw one pitch in a high level of baseball I couldn't judge you on that.

Guys shank field goals all the time and even good kickers miss hit kicks occasionally. The difference is when they miss hit them they go to about the 10 or 15 yard line. My guess is that if she hit it well it would go to the 10 or 15 yard line.

But I bet if they had a guy on the team kick who hadn't practiced as a kicker he wouldn't kick it past the goal line on his best kicks and there is a good possibility they could miss hit it and look like her.

I think you need to look at her performance more like you do a walk on basketball player who gets in a game at the end of a game. They shoot airballs, miss layups, miss free throws and look awful. You know they do better than that in practice or they wouldn't even be walk ons.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:05 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:

Yeah, the whole story about her coming to the rescue when they had nobody else is total BS. Here's Vanderbilt's punter kicking 50-yard field goals in practice when he was in high school:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9z7E5CWz9g

Why couldn't he kick off? And there are certainly dozens of other guys attending Vanderbilt who can kick a football better than some girl soccer player.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:13 PM

Quote:

It's Vanderbilt. Of course they suck.

The story they put out there was that the kickers couldn't be cleared to play because of COVID. If it's a lie then it's their lie.

Peeps on the TN Vols fan page are enjoying this though. We've been hoping they get more soccer players that play just like she does.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Vandy never scored a TD in the first half...nor did they attempt a field goal in the first half because they never advanced the ball past the 50 yard line.

Her first opportunity to kick was the second half kick off. And in the second half Vandy never scored and when they advanced the ball into Missouri territory in the second half they never got it into field goal range.

Here kick was not very good but it's a shame she didn't get another crack at it to see if she could kick it better.

This article is typical of the Federalist though. Make a big deal about nothing.

And yeah, there certainly is a guy on that team who could probably "kick a football" but you have a team that has lost every game. The coach knew he was on his way out. Why not get the program some exposure by letting her kick.
Yes about 90% of girls playing football are kickers. I knew one who was a line player rather than a kicker at my high school. For this reason, I was fine with this. She played fine but didn't make college teams. Then again I think it would have been a rarity for our school to produce a D-1 star scholarship bait player, male or female. Maybe baseball, not football.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:00 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
It's attempted rape, show some respect!
I would encourage you to expand your diversity of experience and reflect upon the cultural aspects of sports.

Butt slapping is a part of both mens and womens sports and is not sexual.

What is your level of experience with the topic? Football? Those pants for example are loaded with pads fyi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies