Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 07:29 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to learn today that Canada separates refugee kids from their families too. 182+ kids last year alone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...cbsa-1.5832951

Old 12-10-2020, 07:32 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
They disappeared didn't they. They knew there was no chance with that guy in the white house. Masses of people trying to enter didn't happen under Trump. Get ready and make space in your house because under Biden* they have a green light the size of the sun! Good luck.
seems those caravans started before the election....

https://theconversation.com/migrant-...-border-146893
Members of a U.S.-bound migrant caravan from Honduras have been detained in Guatemala and deported before they could reach Mexico. Though their journey was cut short, the formation of a new caravan reveals that – as in 2018 and 2019 – Central Americans are still fleeing violence, hunger and climate change en masse.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:34 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I would say that if the only qualification is the immigrant has to say "I am in need", then yes you're in favor of open borders.

"Everybody's" ancestors were immigrants (except of course Indian/Native Americans). Like every other sizeable and successful nation, immigration laws and limits were eventually put in place. It is completely legal to immigrate to this day ... by following the laws.

There are laws that have been on the books for years. Frankly, pro-illegal immigration people have done a great job chipping away at them - be that Foley or actively NOT cooperating with ICE.
I agree with everything you have said except for your comment that the ancestors of the Amerindians were not immigrants. Yes, they were. They migrated here just as the Europeans did. No one was native to this country/continent hundreds of years ago.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:37 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
lmao...libs claiming there are no jobs for poor Americans. Their answer to fix the problem...... allow illegal people into our country who don't belong to work here ....you can't make this sh&& up!

Old 12-10-2020, 07:40 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
I was surprised to learn today that Canada separates refugee kids from their families too. 182+ kids last year alone.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...cbsa-1.5832951
It does seem that if the authorities cannot confirm that the adults are the parents of the children, they do place the children in....foster homes until they can verify.

Not exactly the blanket policy of separating parents and kids and not tracking them at all......but if you feel better about it -- that's all that matters right?

Old 12-10-2020, 07:41 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrobat612 View Post
Let them in! We have space, immigrants tend to be a net positive, and they are certainly better than the average rural bitter clinger "muh religion, muh guns, muh freedom" methhead type scattered throughout this country.
Do you not know the difference between legal immigrants and illegal aliens? And no, we can't be the flophouse and employment agency to the whole world's needy. Illegal aliens are not a net positive they cost us over $100 billion a year and take taxes, jobs and resources from Americans. We have annual quotas for legal immigration and rightly so! It's based on our ability to provide jobs and resources for them while keeping our population growth in check.

Oh stop with this demonizing of Americans to defend the undefensible of illegal immigration and rampant immigration in general. We have every right to follow our religion and our 2nd Amendment rights. Freedom? Isn't that the reason that many immigrants want to come here? Now all of a sudden freedom is a negative thing?

Old 12-10-2020, 07:44 AM

11,474 posts, read 11,559,641 times
I love that the caravan boogeyman is back. Are they full of al-Qaeda and MS-13 again?

Old 12-10-2020, 07:46 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
My ancestors were immigrants too - and dirt-poor. They came here legally.

I am in favor of immigrants coming here legally, as long as they do not qualify for taxpayer assistance such as food stamps, free lunches and breakfasts, and that stuff. They need to contribute to society, not drain it.
Let's focus first on how to help those who are desperate and in need. I have no problem with taxpayer resources going to help people who are desperate. That's a better use of funds than many of the things this country currently uses that money for. Again, "I got mine, so screw anyone else" is not an attitude I agree with.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:52 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
It does seem that if the authorities cannot confirm that the adults are the parents of the children, they do place the children in....foster homes until they can verify.

Not exactly the blanket policy of separating parents and kids and not tracking them at all......but if you feel better about it -- that's all that matters right?
I think a demonstration of how other countries utilize the same procedures as the US when dealing with underage refugees is rather germaine to the overall discussion of how to deal with all these kids.

You can take your little snark and run along now.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:08 AM

43,106 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
I love that the caravan boogeyman is back. Are they full of al-Qaeda and MS-13 again?
Africans and Haitians are going to South America to join the caravans. They have been doing that for a few years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies