Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 07:42 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,587 posts, read 17,927,273 times

Advertisements

Maybe COVID patients?

Medical researchers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 07:43 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,587 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
In 2000 and 2004 it was President Bush. In 2008 and 2012 it was President Obama. In 2016 it was President Trump.
Seems to be a pattern here. I would hope we break out of it. No offence to future president Biden.
I am thinking it could be a thing. Covid-19.
Regardless I will not buy the magazine and doubt I will read the article. Never did yet.
But I do like debating about the choice.
If it's a "thing" (unlikely) I would nominate "The Mask".

Old 12-10-2020, 08:16 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
Healthcare workers deserve it. They earned it and are still earning it.
Bless them and keep them safe.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:18 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I would get the greatest satisfaction with President-elect Biden. The Orange Man would go even further off the deep end

Old 12-10-2020, 08:20 AM

298 posts, read 116,898 times
The most reasonable choice would be Fauci/frontline workers, but I could also see them going with the racial angle.

With all of the other current ongoing issues, they will probably not pick Biden (plus, they'll have plenty of time to feature him - I suspect that he will be Time Person of the Year in 2021).

Selecting Trump would be laughable, given that all of the major problems going on in the US right now are at least partially his fault.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:26 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Today Time Magazine editors will pick their person of the year later today (7 PM pacific time during a special broadcast).

The editors had four individuals/groups to pick from this year including Joe Biden, Donald Trump, Frontline healthcare workers/Dr. Fauci, and "Movement for Racial Justice."

Previously, I had predicted that instead of directly picking George Floyd, Time editors would do the safer thing and nominate the entire movement and protesting group than individuals. And also previously, I had picked that whatever was associated with this racial 'woke' movement would get the honors.

But with the resurgence of the coronavirus, makes for some stiff competition.

Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year for 2020? See the Shortlist
Time magazine is irrelevent. Last year's winner was a 14 year old climate change activist.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:28 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeAZguy View Post
The most reasonable choice would be Fauci/frontline workers, but I could also see them going with the racial angle.

With all of the other current ongoing issues, they will probably not pick Biden (plus, they'll have plenty of time to feature him - I suspect that he will be Time Person of the Year in 2021).

Selecting Trump would be laughable, given that all of the major problems going on in the US right now are at least partially his fault.
Person of the Year is not really an honor but a statement on who made the most news impact. Trump fits the bill, but his ego would turn it into the greatest honor ever bestowed upon a human and a recognition of his incredible achievements in his brief and failed presidency. So no way.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:30 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Person of the Year is not really an honor but a statement on who made the most news impact. Trump fits the bill, but his ego would turn it into the greatest honor ever bestowed upon a human and a recognition of his incredible achievements in his brief and failed presidency. So no way.
You know that Trump already won the award in 2016, right?

Old 12-10-2020, 08:31 AM

298 posts, read 116,898 times
Quote:
Interesting. I didn't realize that. That's a good explanation as to why Hitler won in 1938.

Anyway, I doubt that Time will choose Trump for the reasons you stated.

PS: I tried to rep you for this comment, but couldn't because I guess I repped you recently.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:39 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Back when they picked Hitler they actually had journalists with functioning brains and integrity making the choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies