Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 11:06 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It's my opinion, that if you do not pay net federal income taxes, and are not a full time student, or in the military, or a retired former taxpayer, you should NOT be allowed to vote in national elections.

Payroll taxes do not count, because much of those taxes, come back to you ultimately.

Today, we have >50% of Americans who pay no net federal income taxes voting. They are now in the majority; gov't statistics will confirm, in the near future.

Why should people who pay no net federal income taxes be allowed to have representation? (other than the aforementioned exempt groups)

Shouldn't all voters have skin in the game?
To paraphrase The Dude, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Why are you so hell-bent on disenfranchising your fellow citizens?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 11:07 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
It's really not hard to see where he's going. Those who only receive but do not contribute should not have a vote on how much they receive and how much others have to contribute so that they can receive more. That's all.
Who doesn't pay sales tax?

Old 12-10-2020, 11:07 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm trying to discern who you are trying to disenfranchise here.

The poor? The temporarily unemployed? The physically disabled? Women who are staying at home while their children are young?
Why must every topic be attacking a particular group? Identity politics doesn't drive my thought processes, just common sense.

If you pay no net federal income taxes, you should not vote in national elections, that is my opinion....w/ the few exceptions I listed.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Who doesn't pay sales tax?
Sales tax is a different topic. This topic is about federal income taxes.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:11 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Being a resident alien who pays way more taxes than most citizens, I feel the premise is slightly flawed.

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Why must every topic be attacking a particular group? Identity politics doesn't drive my thought processes, just common sense.

If you pay no net federal income taxes, you should not vote in national elections, that is my opinion....w/ the few exceptions I listed.
Once again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
BTW, since the income tax wasn't adopted until 1913, obviously that couldn't have been what the founding fathers had in mind.
Also, what about people who paid net positive income taxes one year, and net negative income taxes another year?

Let's say somebody paid net positive income taxes in 2019, but negative income taxes in 2020. Would they get to vote in the 2020 election, or not?

Utterly ridiculous notion you have there. Not only is it clearly not what the founding fathers had in mind, logistically it would be ridiculously impossible. Would you have to register to vote every year, and then bring in your current year's tax return to prove that you paid taxes?

Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:

How would you determine that someone is "retired"? Did they have to work full time up to 65 years old? How about if they were extremely successful and managed to be able to leave the work force at 40?

When you are seeking to keep certain people from voting, it's very important to find out who you're specifically trying to take the right to vote away from. What "particular group", as you say, you're trying to silence.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
To paraphrase The Dude, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Why are you so hell-bent on disenfranchising your fellow citizens?
Absolutely, it's my opinion. No taxation, no representation. Everyone must have some skin in the game.

Just being an American citizen isn't enough to call the shots at the federal level. The framers only allowed land owners to vote, so I'm much more liberal than they were.

How does stating an opinion, disenfranchise anyone? Are we now not entitled to our own political opinions? Are we not allowed to voice them on an open political forum?

Are you for censorship?

Old 12-10-2020, 11:17 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,727,089 times
Do the people who no longer get a vote also get to opt out of the myriad of non-tax related laws and regulations that the federal government enacts every year?

Old 12-10-2020, 11:17 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Absolutely, it's my opinion. No taxation, no representation. Everyone must have some skin in the game.

Just being an American citizen isn't enough to call the shots at the federal level. The framers only allowed land owners to vote, so I'm much more liberal than they were.

How does stating an opinion, disenfranchise anyone? Are we now not entitled to our own political opinions? Are we not allowed to voice them on an open political forum?

Are you for censorship?
Ehm - he's disagreeing with you, not arguing that you shouldn't be allowed your dead-wrong opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies