Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 03:58 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,028,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
How do you make that out?

because ACTUAL payers are outnumbered by freeloaders especially where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 04:09 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
So to be clear, you hold voting to be a privilege, not a right?

Old 12-10-2020, 04:14 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Well in that case, Donald Trump wouldn't have been allowed to vote for several years.
LMAO

Good point.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:16 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
How would you determine that someone is "retired"? Did they have to work full time up to 65 years old? How about if they were extremely successful and managed to be able to leave the work force at 40?

When you are seeking to keep certain people from voting, it's very important to find out who you're specifically trying to take the right to vote away from. What "particular group", as you say, you're trying to silence.
Slippery slope here.

DH retired at 52. But we still pay a bunch of income tax at 82.

What about people who have never been gainfully employed but are owners of property and other assets that require income taxes be paid?

Old 12-10-2020, 04:19 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
because ACTUAL payers are outnumbered by freeloaders especially where I live.
Ya know, there really aren't freeloaders or payers.

We're all just pawns moved around on a chess board to fill out boxes so the government can devise it's ponzi schemes. The freeloaders have a role to play that's just as important as the so-called payers.

I've never once thought of myself as a freeloader (when I lived in poverty) or a payer (as a well-off adult). The box they check for me just changed while my goal has always been the same: see the system, work the system to my advantage, and pray they don't decide to cage/kill me.

That's how "this thing of ours" works, my friends.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's not a different topic. People who pay sales taxes pay into state and local governments. They should be disenfranchised because they pay no federal income taxes?

What about federal gasoline taxes? They don't count? What other federal taxes do folks pay on a regular basis?

Your premise is a lousy one. Why are some people so hell bent on suppressing the vote?
Is there still a federal tax on phones that pays for running lines into rural areas so they can have computers? WiFi?

What about bond holders who financed the TVA?

Old 12-10-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Why do only federal income taxes count in this discussion? Payroll taxes, sales taxes, excise taxes, gas tax... poor people might end up paying a larger percentage of their total income in taxes than the wealthy.

It's not bad enough that they are poor; now you want to take away their right to vote as well?!?
There's all kinds of sites that tell us and show us low income earners pay a larger percentage of their income in taxes than the well off.

The right keeps on with that BS about most of the tax revenue comes from the rich. Like where else would it come from. The top 10 percentage owns as much as the bottom 50+ %.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
As part of that lower end of the middle class tax bracket myself (I'm middle of the economic middle where I live), I don't hold with the notion that it's okay to disenfranchise lower income people of their vote in federal elections.

Those votes for representatives are about far more than "free" stuff--especially when it comes to single-issue voters. Trust me--those people aren't casting their votes for free higher education, even though a lot of them would surely benefit from it.
So it's ok to "disenfranchise" people like me who pay the out anal orifice and receive nothing but more taxes and laws all so freeloaders and deadbeats can vote themselves more free stuff?

Old 12-10-2020, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Ya know, there really aren't freeloaders or payers.

We're all just pawns moved around on a chess board to fill out boxes so the government can devise it's ponzi schemes. The freeloaders have a role to play that's just as important as the so-called payers.

I've never once thought of myself as a freeloader (when I lived in poverty) or a payer (as a well-off adult). The box they check for me just changed while my goal has always been the same: see the system, work the system to my advantage, and pray they don't decide to cage/kill me.

That's how "this thing of ours" works, my friends.

Since you're so well off and just playing the game would you like to Venmo me some money just for the hell of it?

Old 12-10-2020, 04:55 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,561,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
So it's ok to "disenfranchise" people like me who pay the out anal orifice and receive nothing but more taxes and laws all so freeloaders and deadbeats can vote themselves more free stuff?

You're getting a piece of pie, too. Most of those supposed freeloaders and deadbeats don't vote for one reason or another. Heck, too many Americans don't vote...period. Have you seen what voter turnout looks like in this country--especially in a year without a presidential election?

One person, one vote regardless of income or class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies