Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 04:17 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,110,683 times

Advertisements

We don' need no stinkin' Constitutional Convention...We DO need an amendment doing away with the Executive Order.

BTW-- a balanced budget law wouldn't mean they'd spend less. It would just ensure that they taxed more. Two alternative plans-- (1) amendment that would force Congress to appropriate no more than a sum equal to last yr's revenues, or, better (b) amendment to take away appropriations role from Congress....Instead, they would vote for programs they see fit and submit them to the taxpayers. With Trump's Taxes made permanent, we would fill out our 1040s as usual, but with it would be included a list of the Fed Programs for our consideration. Each of us would then designate how much, if any, of our individual tax liability would go to each program....Those programs popular enough would be funded. Unpopular ones would die on the vine. No one would be forced to use their money on a program they found distasteful, and one could select more personal funding for favorite programs.

We already have a term limits provision-- Your Vote. Throw the Bums out!

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 10-18-2021 at 04:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2021, 04:53 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I'm not an expert on the process, but in each state, the Governor has a lot of power, and sway, over those in the statehouse.

Disagree. Especially so in this scenario.

Regardless, a Constitutional Convention is an exceptionally bad idea, IMO.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:52 AM

17,002 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Because taxpayers would be forced to save all year long to pay the taxes, & then stroke a large check.

They'd see it, and feel it a LOT more than having it saved each payday forcefully.

They'd think a lot more about who they voted for and what that candidates spending habots were, prior to casting their ballot.

Of course, many would not be disciplined enough to save each month, so the feds would have a massive revene shortfall and be forced to cut spending.
Payroll companies would take care of withholding then.

Old 10-18-2021, 05:56 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
You say limited, but it's unlikely that it would be limited. This would be opening up our constitution to major changes that we the people could not control.
"his would be opening up our constitution to major changes that we the people could not control"

And do WE control it NOW?

Old 10-18-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You have fallen victim to believing radical right lies.

The fact is there are plenty of Democrats who want to hold a constitutional convention too. It's far from being a conservative-only idea.
"You have fallen victim to believing radical right lies."

And YOU have fallen victim to believing radical LEFT lies!

Old 10-18-2021, 06:05 AM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
Good points about balanced budget could just lead to higher taxes...well taken.

Hmm...Social Security payouts are tied to cost of living...right? Why not do the same for fed spending?

Of course, we'd need war & calamity provisions, but otherwise treat the fed the same way, they treat us.

We'd also need provision that any excess ALL goes to payoff the national debt.

Bottom line, the federal gov't is driving us all off a cliff, and this is the only way to stop it.

In my time on Earth EVERYTHING else has failed. We are $29T in debt, the feds have weaponized the; FBI, EPA, military brass, the IRS, the FED, the CDC, & DHS, & the DOE, just to mention a few.

The Feds will NEVER fix ANYTHING...isn't that clear by now? Isn't Covid proof...BOTH parties failed miserably.

The Feds keep swallowing up more GDP as a percent to our total output, which leaves less private investment to generate growth. Feds do not generate growth, on the private sector does.

This monster MUST be slayed before its too late. A Convention of States is our only way out of this mess.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:08 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Good points about balanced budget could just lead to higher taxes...well taken.

Hmm...Social Security payouts are tied to cost of living...right? Why not do the same for fed spending?

Of course, we'd need war & calamity provisions, but otherwise treat the fed the same way, they treat us.

We'd also need provision that any excess ALL goes to payoff the national debt.

Bottom line, the federal gov't is driving us all off a cliff, and this is the only way to stop it.

In my time on Earth EVERYTHING else has failed. We are $29T in debt, the feds have weaponized the; FBI, EPA, military brass, the IRS, the FED, the CDC, & DHS, & the DOE, just to mention a few.

The Feds will NEVER fix ANYTHING...isn't that clear by now? Isn't Covid proof...BOTH parties failed miserably.

The Feds keep swallowing up more GDP as a percent to our total output, which leaves less private investment to generate growth. Feds do not generate growth, on the private sector does.

This monster MUST be slayed before its too late. A Convention of States is our only way out of this mess.

So we can't trust government to run the country, but we CAN trust government to fix how the country is run?

Hard pass.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
We control it by voting for trustworthy Governors, & State House politicians. I'm confident in mine, are you not trusting yours?
" I'm confident in mine, are you not trusting yours?"

Depends on what state you live in and what party you belong to.

In my old state I was NOT represented because the other party ruled the state.

They gerrymandered my county when it was growing in another party population.

In fact the divided my county into the 4 other counties surrounding mine.

My votes meant NOTHING state wide or nationally.

Other states have the same problem.

Ca has over 6 MILLION people whose votes don't count in the presidential election.

When you have an Electoral College whose vote is all or nothing instead of proportional, which is the way it should be, IMO, many votes do NOT count..

Old 10-18-2021, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
What is dangerous is future judges educated by our indoctrination camps ‘interpreting’ the Constitution however they see fit.
"What is dangerous is future judges educated by our indoctrination camps ‘interpreting’ the Constitution however they see fit"

Like obama, who was overturned MORE then any other previos president.

Old 10-18-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Leave the goddam thing alone.
The only thing that needs to be done is term limits.
For all.
WOW, lay of that 5th cup of coffee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies