Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 08:06 AM

25,958 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
No. Get an abortion if you cannot afford kids. This is why we have abortion.
There is also something called "birth control" to prevent having to end the life of their child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
so they are paying you to have sex.
No. Having sex does not always result in a pregnancy. You might want to read up on "reproduction".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
source?I havent heard that. If what you say is true, I have been practicing celibacy for nothing!
https://nypost.com/2020/04/15/fauci-...with-a-caveat/

"Government coronavirus expert Dr. Anthony Fauci says that heartsick isolationists can hook up with asymptomatic Tinder matches in real life — but, like love, it involves some risk."

I wonder how many even had a thought about "safe" sex before the pandemic and wore "protection" and were as vigilant as they are about their face masks. They are worse things to contract then COVID 19, much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
I could see cheap childcare with well paid professional staff and a progressive child tax credit boost. This would increase our birth rates and help Americans from not being as exhausted as they are. $1500 per kid if you make <$50,000, $4000 for people in the $50,000-$100,000 bracket, $6000 for $100,000-$400,000 and $7500 for everyone above $400,000.

Straight payments is a stupid idea though.
Just no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Your economic illiteracy is shocking. Nothing you say on your W-2, whether true or false, can get you any "free money".
https://budgeting.thenest.com/can-mo...-in-26076.html

"One of the most common refundable credits is the Earned Income Tax Credit, which pays money to certain low- and moderate-income workers. In 2012, for instance, a childless couple can claim the credit if they earn less than $19,190 and file a joint return; filing separately disqualifies you. You have to earn income for the year to qualify and if you have investment income it must be less than $3,200. The maximum credit, for a family with three children, is $5,891. With a $4,000 tax bill, that credit would give you a net gain of $1,891."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
You must be European, Asian, African or South American to make a comment like this. No real American would support helping mothers and their children! The only countries in North America that provide basic benefits to families are Canada and Mexico, and they don’t count. Here in the good ole USA people go hungry and can’t get healthcare because they deserve it. Everyone knows that!
We already do that with public assistance, which by the way, provides birth control for those that are bright enough or motivated enough to take advantage of it. Sadly, this kind of thing drives up the poverty rate as the more kids they have, the more assistance that comes in. Worse yet, most of the money isn't spent on the children.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
An average decent daycare in NYC costs about $1000 - $1500 a month

In the old days, the husband made enough so that the wife didn't even have to consider working, had a house, car and everything was paid, no daycare needed

Makes perfect sense why proposals like this are made, it wasn't always so expensive to raise a family. Who do we blame for that, the patricians or the plebeians?
Most of us don't live in NYC, and should be weighing what we can afford. Poverty grows as we reward those in poverty with incentives to have more children. Illegal aliens get taxpayer paid child delivery as it is one of the "emergency" services that we, as taxpayers, cover for them, thus their increasing birth rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Most smart couples do some of this planning before they ever get pregnant. I know our social circle every one of them did -

"Do I make enough to justify paying for daycare?" nevermind "Do I enjoy my career enough?"
But those that depend on the taxpayers aren't that concerned about what they can afford. Look around when you are out shopping to see just who is having kids, or who is pregnant. I heard one pregnant mother talking in the grocery store "I don't have to worry about insurance as my other two kids are covered by state insurance." (After we pay for the birth for illegal aliens, those children get the full array of public assistance benefits). The other faces of the other two women in the conversation grew sour.

Hey, if Biden opens the borders, no worry about a decreasing population! Third world dive, here we come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 08:12 AM

36,525 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
An average decent daycare in NYC costs about $1000 - $1500 a month

In the old days, the husband made enough so that the wife didn't even have to consider working, had a house, car and everything was paid, no daycare needed

Makes perfect sense why proposals like this are made, it wasn't always so expensive to raise a family. Who do we blame for that, the patricians or the plebeians?
I think we blame ourselves.
In the old days more people married before having kids, fewer people divorced, family unity was stronger and people didn't live above their means.

Daycare has become overly regulated and monitored thus more expensive. In my day I paid 100-120 a month for child care. But my child care was a sweet blue hair (vetted by word of mouth) who kept children in her home, they played with toys and watched TV, you brought their food and snacks for the day and you only got a call if there was an emergency. Now people expect certified daycare workers at a certain ratio who engage their children in educational activities, food and premises must be inspected and approved by a government entity, and you get an hourly facetime visit with updates and a report documenting what they ate, how many times they went to the potty, what activities they engaged in, how many boo boos, infractions, or negative encounters they had that day.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:12 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But men can. They can have a career and a family without making that choice or sacrifice. They are not expected to or even considered to be responsible for actual parenting involving career or income potential.

Women are actually being told you as an individual are NOT 100% equal to your male counterpart if you decided to become a mother, you can not do everything (have a full time job or career) like before children (although your husband can).

You can not do whatever you want, and costs (daycare) or hurdles (lack of daycare, sickness, parenting) you didn't consider is your responsibility alone unless your are so destitute you must ask for welfare.

It is what it is. Thats why I would encourage young women to NOT have children unless they did not want a career or did not care about self sufficiency. If they absolutely wanted to be a mother make sure they marry a man who can and will provide for them financially for the rest of their life.

There is a lot of controversy over this though as many think is is horrible and selfish and shallow for a woman to consider a mans financial standing and future income potential when dating. At the same time would expect a mother to put herself in a position of potential poverty and financial dependence.
nobody told me I was allowed to carry on and act like I had no children to play a role in raising.

My wife and I agreed one of us should SAH, and whoever made the most money would keep working. Nobody told us it had to be her.

It is quite true that there's a segment of women - and sympathetic men - that think women should be able to "pause" your career for a year or more and come back as if you never left at all.

That's not reality, and never will be.

The business can't be expected to either

take your work and share it among existing employees without paying them more

or

pay a new or temporary employee during your absence and then fire them, or assume their business will grown in your absence to need that replacement to remain.

AND if they give raises in your absence, also give you that raise.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:20 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
In the old days more people married before having kids, fewer people divorced, family unity was stronger and people didn't live above their means.

Daycare has become overly regulated and monitored thus more expensive. In my day I paid 100-120 a month for child care. But my child care was a sweet blue hair (vetted by word of mouth) who kept children in her home, they played with toys and watched TV, you brought their food and snacks for the day and you only got a call if there was an emergency. Now people expect certified daycare workers at a certain ratio who engage their children in educational activities, food and premises must be inspected and approved by a government entity, and you get an hourly facetime visit with updates and a report documenting what they ate, how many times they went to the potty, what activities they engaged in, how many boo boos, infractions, or negative encounters they had that day.
I think the issue is paying daycare workers a livable wage. At 100-120 per month, an in home worker would only make 500 to 600 per month with five kids in her care.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:23 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 27 days ago)

27,647 posts, read 16,129,622 times
Meet your new daddy

Old 12-11-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:

as to the bolded, this is really what matters. Frankly, if you CANNOT live off 1 income, then you shouldn't be having children. Kids aren't a "right" or a "a box to check off" (which you will hear some speak of them as a possession/object), they are an obligation and a responsibility.

If you cannot understand and accept that having children is a LIFE-CHANGING event, then please, don't have kids.

As to the 2nd paragraph, that's certainly a problem and the reason that daycare is "so expensive".

Of course, a "typical" (my experience) ratio of ~6 kids/1 adult is going to cost a lot of money, especially when you throw in government requirements and all the extras the "helicopter moms" (and dads) want and expect.

And if daycares were such money-making enterprises, then there would be MANY more, and they'd be less expensive.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
nobody told me I was allowed to carry on and act like I had no children to play a role in raising.

My wife and I agreed one of us should SAH, and whoever made the most money would keep working. Nobody told us it had to be her.

It is quite true that there's a segment of women - and sympathetic men - that think women should be able to "pause" your career for a year or more and come back as if you never left at all.

That's not reality, and never will be.

The business can't be expected to either

take your work and share it among existing employees without paying them more

or

pay a new or temporary employee during your absence and then fire them, or assume their business will grown in your absence to need that replacement to remain.

AND if they give raises in your absence, also give you that raise.
No one had to tell you that you were allowed to continue working your job full time and not worry taking time off for unexpected or planned doctor visits or sicknesses or daycare or school. It is just assumed, default.

Right no one tells you which parent should make the income sacrifice but we know it has been and still is predominately women. Men are now at an all time high as SAHD's going from about 5% in 1970 to more than 20% in 2020.
You and your wife are doing it right. Couples should decide what is best for their families, plan as much as possible for future cost before having kids. I'm not disputing that. It is obvious though that, especially for those who dont do this, when things go sideways it is the mothers who are left with little to no job experience, tenure, earning potential. It is mothers who generally take on custody and have to worry about childcare and housing. It is generally women who end up in poverty. That is why I would encourage women to fully consider this before having children.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think the issue is paying daycare workers a livable wage. At 100-120 per month, an in home worker would only make 500 to 600 per month with five kids in her care.
I'm assuming that was WAY back in the day. Back in my day (19 yrs ago), full-time daycare was $1,000/mo. So yes, the decision was "Am I (are we) making enough to justify a $12K pay cut?"

Old 12-11-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
In those days they were generally older married women who were supplementing income. In those days minimum wage was about $3.00.
Not sure what the comparable cost would be today but I'm sure its not over 1K a month.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
No one had to tell you that you were allowed to continue working your job full time and not worry taking time off for unexpected or planned doctor visits or sicknesses or daycare or school. It is just assumed, default.

Right no one tells you which parent should make the income sacrifice but we know it has been and still is predominately women. Men are now at an all time high as SAHD's going from about 5% in 1970 to more than 20% in 2020.
You and your wife are doing it right. Couples should decide what is best for their families, plan as much as possible for future cost before having kids. I'm not disputing that. It is obvious though that, especially for those who dont do this, when things go sideways it is the mothers who are left with little to no job experience, tenure, earning potential. It is mothers who generally take on custody and have to worry about childcare and housing. It is generally women who end up in poverty. That is why I would encourage women to fully consider this before having children.
oh, surely to all.

We really should add this to "Life Skills" (to go along with personal finance) , and do it with HS Juniors.

Any woman should understand "50% of marriages end in divorce, and when it happens the woman generally gets all the obligation."

It's kind of one unspoken reason we waited to have kids after being married, to increase the likelihood/certainty we'd stay married.

In my business, I've got PLENTY of stories where marriages didn't work (and sadly, the stresses of kids often cause them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies