Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you American first or does state take priority?
State first 6 8.45%
American first 37 52.11%
Individual first (no loyalty to state/country, would move to another country) 22 30.99%
Other 6 8.45%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 07:30 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
With the periodic talk of secession and the like. Where do you fall? Are you an American first or a state resident first?

Having grown up a military brat that constantly moved between states as well as overseas I've got no real ties or loyalty to any particular state. Still get the itch to pack up and move every few years.

Are you states first, nation first, or non-statist? Does that guide how you feel about states rights matters, electoral college, etc?
Considering how many times I've moved in my life, I can say with certainty that I'm not loyal to any one state. I like some more than others, but I'm not loyal to any of them.

As for loyalty between "American first" or "Individual first" - America is about individualism, despite the efforts of those who want to create hive minds. Therefore, to say that I'm for individualism first means that at the same time, I'm also American first. They are not separate - they are the same.

It was the entire point of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 07:38 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
American first. But I am no longer certain we should continue as a single nation. The federal govt police state is beyond out of control. From excessive taxation and extreme squandering of public funds, to oppressive federal pseudo police and crooked politicians to life saving covid treatments being only available to the oligarch "friends of Trump."

If we are to continue as ONE nation, then we need to BE one nation, not 50 states and do away with the redundency of state govt. One set of laws, for the whole nation. National licensing, not having to get different licenses and permits for every new state. It is ridiculous. One national police agency, with local offices. One health and retirement system.

So we need to decide, will we continue as one nation? If so then let's stop acting like 50 separate nations. And if not... well then I guess you better skin that smoke wagon and start the boogie.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:40 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
I'd prefer an independent California nation. I have for a while.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:46 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,012,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I'd prefer an independent California nation. I have for a while.
me too.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:12 PM

1,406 posts, read 800,235 times
The individual is the smallest minority. If rights and freedoms are not protected at the individual level, they are not protected.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:15 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
My country is all of these United States. It is a Federation of states. I prefer my state above other states, but not above the federation of states.

If I move I will prefer my new state above other states, but not above the federation of states.

At home I fly the stars and stripes, I don't even own a state flag.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:20 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Individual....no loyalty to state or federal governments. Could probably say I'm loyal to community/others who share the same values, which isn't geography-based.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:24 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Oh, c'mon...give Biden a chance.....if he makes it, that is....
As with past Presidents I'll give h{er|im} a period where I wait and see if {s}he's up to the task and let h{er|im} win me over. Usually that's about a year. In Trump's case I tried for a while to wade through the horseshyte and see if there was something worthwhile. Then I realized it wasn't worth the effort.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:35 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
With the periodic talk of secession and the like. Where do you fall? Are you an American first or a state resident first?

Having grown up a military brat that constantly moved between states as well as overseas I've got no real ties or loyalty to any particular state. Still get the itch to pack up and move every few years.

Are you states first, nation first, or non-statist? Does that guide how you feel about states rights matters, electoral college, etc?
I’m an American first ....BUT, if the Constitutional Republic no longer stands.
I’m a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
Other.......

CONSTITUTION first.

Let the SCOTUS decide, and live with it.

CN
We either follow the Constitution and for which it stands ...
OR, as Ben Franklin said ... “A Republic if you can keep it.”

I voted OTHER
We are in grave danger of losing our Republic. Our Republic is supposed to be about LAW, not Men.
When some States decide LAW doesn’t matter, we are in serious trouble.

Local and State Judges do not overrule elected Legislators. They do not have the power to override the US or State Constitutions .... based on Political Agenda.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:59 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Whatever is good for me and my family is first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies