Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 07:24 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,222,232 times

Advertisements

National Latino museum vote blocked by Utah GOP Sen. Mike Lee.

Quote:
On the Latino museum, Lee argued that the stories of Latinos should be told in a single museum, the American History Museum. He also said museums for African Americans and Native Americans were built because those groups were subjected to systemic racism...
"Latinos" complained "How come blacks and Native Americans get a museum but not us!", implying that they have a comparable experience. But the United States doesn't have a history of discriminating against or excluding people of Spanish origin, or people with Spanish surnames, or whatever it means to be a "hispanic/latino".

What he doesn't mention is that they are a political fabrication. There was no concept that Spanish-Speakers were even a minority group before the 1980s. They were not minorities before the Reagan administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 08:07 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
The National Hispanic Cultural Center is in Albuquerque -- more than just a museum.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:10 PM

29,504 posts, read 22,610,207 times
I think the experiences of Latino's in America varied depending on location, since Latino can refer to those of Mexican descent, Puerto Rican descent, etc.

Mexican Americans certainly faced their share of racism in the past. It's not something that's as widely known or discussed as compared to racism faced by Black Americans.

The Brutal History of Anti-Latino Discrimination in America

Old 12-10-2020, 08:31 PM

43,047 posts, read 18,205,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think the experiences of Latino's in America varied depending on location, since Latino can refer to those of Mexican descent, Puerto Rican descent, etc.

Mexican Americans certainly faced their share of racism in the past. It's not something that's as widely known or discussed as compared to racism faced by Black Americans.

The Brutal History of Anti-Latino Discrimination in America
Because it was localized and not a national problem.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Because it was localized and not a national problem.
It's mostly fictional. They're literally making it up. In Texas history, Mexicans were white and were never subject to the exclusion that black Texans were. They were not considered to be a minorities before the 80s.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:05 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,603,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
It's mostly fictional. They're literally making it up. In Texas history, Mexicans were white and were never subject to the exclusion that black Texans were. They were not considered to be a minorities before the 80s.
Yes and you'd be hard-pressed to find many Latinos outside of the southwest before then, with the exception of Puerto Rican migration to New York and Cuban migration to Miami starting in the fifties. I agree with Senator Lee when he says Latino history should be included in the American History Museum, rather than separate.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:39 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,080,969 times
My goodness this country is doomed. Balkanization leaves no room anymore for any of us all to live together.

There is so much about this story that rubs me the wrong way.

A fully (rich) white boy shrieking about how bad he had it as a "Latino" (Bob Menenedez)

All the so-called Republicans that are actually behind divisive trash like this.

The fact that filth like these racial museums are funded by we the taxpayer.

The strangest part of this story is a Leftist neocon like Mike Lee standing in the way of it.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

A fully (rich) white boy shrieking about how bad he had it as a "Latino" (Bob Menenedez)
Exactly. "Latinos" need to be exposed as white, and their manufactured history of grievances debunked because they use it make ridiculous political claims today.

They aren't just asking for historical recognition, they're asking for MONEY ($650M) to build a separate museum for "Lah-tee-nos", who were not even considered to be a separate demographic (nor were they minorities) before the 80s.

Bob Menendez was not a "hispanic" minority before he went to college.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:05 AM

24,450 posts, read 17,195,339 times
I don't see the problem with this museum. I say build it and they will come, well maybe not in enough numbers to keep it viable but why not give it a shot?

Now of course state or federal money should not be used to build this museum but if they really believe in it the people behind it should request funding from charitable people that appreciate their cause.

The only reason why the Government should be involved is for planning permission.

Old 12-11-2020, 08:08 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,440,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
My goodness this country is doomed. Balkanization leaves no room anymore for any of us all to live together.

All the so-called Republicans that are actually behind divisive trash like this.

The fact that filth like these racial museums are funded by we the taxpayer.

The strangest part of this story is a Leftist neocon like Mike Lee standing in the way of it.
We are definitely in a strange place right now. I blame social media and identity politics bfor most of it.
We are creating tribes that are just silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies