Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2020, 04:39 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Glad to see bipartisan support for the bill long overdue exposing shell companies, long overdue. Some hedge funds of course got a waiver.

Quote:
A groundbreaking measure to ban anonymous shell companies in the United States cleared Congress on Friday as the Senate joined the House in passing a defense-spending bill with a veto-proof margin.

The Corporate Transparency Act, which was tacked onto the defense bill, would require corporations and limited liability companies established in the United States to disclose their real owners to the Treasury Department, making it harder for criminals to anonymously launder money or evade taxes. The rule applies to future and existing entities alike.
Nearly 2 million corporations and limited liability companies are registered each year in the United States, at the state level. Few states today require companies to disclose their true owners, with Delaware and a few others turning the registration of anonymous companies into big business.

Tolerance of anonymous shell companies has long helped drug- and human- traffickers, organized crime groups and foreign kleptocrats launder their ill-gotten gains through the U.S. financial system, supporters of the legislation say. It took Michael Cohen, President Trump’s former lawyer, only a few days to set up and use an anonymous Delaware LLC to pay hush money to Stormy Daniels, in violation of campaign finance laws.

The law requires anyone registering a new company to disclose the name, address and date of birth of the real owners, and an identification number for each owner, such as a driver’s license or passport number. Corporations and LLCs that already existed before the law’s adoption must disclose their ownership information to the Treasury Department within two years.

Tax cheats deprive governments worldwide of $427 billion a year

In another transparency setback, the law also exempts some entities from the disclosure requirements, including domestic investment funds that are advised and operated by a registered investment adviser. Gascoigne said that exemption was the result of lobbying by the private-equity and hedge-fund sectors.

The database is likely to help prosecutors nationwide build cases against criminal groups, said Frank Russo, director of government and legislative affairs at the National District Attorneys Association.

The lack of such a database today is undermining efforts in Florida to combat human-trafficking networks at illicit massage parlors, Russo said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...ompany-us-ban/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 04:57 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
I'm down with that.

I know of some companies here in this town, are 6-10 levels deep in a company owned by another company own by another company..... and practice "price fixing" under the radar.
The can corner the market in some segments if you are not paying attention. (say all the auto repair shops... they have different names, but if you dwell into the chain of ownership, it leads back to one corporation)

Old 12-11-2020, 05:01 PM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm down with that.

I know of some companies here in this town, are 6-10 levels deep in a company owned by another company own by another company..... and practice "price fixing" under the radar.
The can corner the market in some segments if you are not paying attention. (say all the auto repair shops... they have different names, but if you dwell into the chain of ownership, it leads back to one corporation)
Very true, some of these LLC's have a difficult time why they even exist and like you indicated there is a chain that makes it difficult to trace, problematic for the IRS and DOJ.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:08 PM

1,510 posts, read 1,007,010 times
This is a good law.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:24 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Glad to see bipartisan support for the bill long overdue exposing shell companies, long overdue. Some hedge funds of course got a waiver.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-po...ompany-us-ban/
Theyll just move to off shore companies.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:26 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
I'm down with that.

I have to agree. This is the sort of bipartisan laws that I hope we can all agree on. The shenanigans that happen due to these anonymous shell companies is insane.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:59 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Quote:
I'm down with that.

Auto repair shops run on book time. They don't decide what that is.

How are they cornering the market?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies