Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2020, 01:56 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Since Trump's background was businessman, and not a lifetime politician, do you think that had some influence on the way he did things? Maybe you cant mix the two, i.e. some politicians have to cater to the lobbyists, quid pro quo, etc. but he refused to suck up to them just to get along.. because he said that if you take their money, they have actually bought you for their own political wishes. Also, trump admitted that he did business with some of these people and he donated to their campaigns because that's how in business you did things in order to get the things he wanted to happen. so now he stopped that, (he says he did). and so this is why he is not having success, ie. you have to be part of the swamp to get anywhere and he was not going to play that game.
This is precisely the argument I’ve been making for years. Conservatives have forever been wishing the government be “run like a business”. That is fundamentally impossible. The objectives of a business, and a government, are utterly different. A business exists to make money. A government exists to “promote the common welfare”, as the Constitution says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 02:20 PM

721 posts, read 1,211,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJS View Post
This is precisely the argument I’ve been making for years. Conservatives have forever been wishing the government be “run like a business”. That is fundamentally impossible. The objectives of a business, and a government, are utterly different. A business exists to make money. A government exists to “promote the common welfare”, as the Constitution says.
Although the mission of the government is to “promote the common welfare”. it may become an impairment to the common welfare with a significant number of bureaucrats in leadership positions. The election has exposed some of them and the unfortunate situation.

Last edited by LoveAlbuquerque; 12-12-2020 at 02:38 PM..

Old 12-12-2020, 02:38 PM

943 posts, read 1,321,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
Although the mission of the government is to “promote the common welfare”. it may become an impairment to the common welfare with a significant number of bureaucrats in leadership positions.
That is true. However it still doesn’t mean that government should be run like a business.

Old 12-12-2020, 02:55 PM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
that claim is contradicted by many trump followers on this forum.

Yes....where is Hawkeye anyway???

Old 12-12-2020, 02:55 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
This was the most shocking thing, i thought he would have a chance with the Supreme Court.

other posters here have explained what happened. My head understands it, but my heart is just shocked. though the more time goes on, the less shocked i am overall.. since time is ticking. there are a couple opportunities that could happen, but i think they will be shocked too.
[snip]

It was a shocking decision because you believed the three justices Trump nominated were Trump Republican hacks who'd do his bidding. Gorsuch and Kavanaugh had already voted against Trump and Barrett will also be independent-minded.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Quote:
some of these plans they are going to cost trillions. thats the cost. TRILLIONS. Green new Deal for one, Reparations for another. TRILLIONS.!!! Retrofitting buildings with solar TRILLIONS.
TRILLiONS are what Trump spent. Without himself paying any taxes, nor charging his buddies more to at least help pay for his debt spending. And what did we get? No healthcare, no infrastructure, nothing.

At least with Democrats you get something, and they try to pay for it, first and foremost by making Trump and folks like him pay their fair share.

It’s just simple logic.

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Since Trump's background was businessman, and not a lifetime politician, do you think that had some influence on the way he did things? Maybe you cant mix the two, i.e. some politicians have to cater to the lobbyists, quid pro quo, etc. but he refused to suck up to them just to get along.. because he said that if you take their money, they have actually bought you for their own political wishes. Also, trump admitted that he did business with some of these people and he donated to their campaigns because that's how in business you did things in order to get the things he wanted to happen. so now he stopped that, (he says he did). and so this is why he is not having success, ie. you have to be part of the swamp to get anywhere and he was not going to play that game.
Absolutely.

All his life, he's been used to people saying 'how high' when he orders them to jump. He thinks that if someone he appoints expresses a different opinion than he does, they're disloyal - when absolutely no one is required to swear an oath of loyalty to him personally.

Thinking this way was a habit he couldn't break.

I don't think it's a swamp issue. I think it's a Trump issue.

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
It was a shocking decision because you believed the three justices Trump nominated were Trump Republican hacks who'd do his bidding. Gorsuch and Kavanaugh had already voted against Trump and Barrett will also be independent-minded.
They were shocked. SCOTUS are independent Co equal branch of gov. They serve for life and answer to no politician. The fact that Trump thought that his picks would be loyal to him proves how in over his head he is and was. Congrats Trumpistas. Your election of El Trumpo presidente Payaso pa siempre ruined the country.

AND YOU SYCOPHANTS wanted 4 more years of this chaos?????

Old 12-12-2020, 03:17 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
They were shocked. SCOTUS are independent Co equal branch of gov. They serve for life and answer to no politician. The fact that Trump thought that his picks would be loyal to him proves how in over his head he is and was. Congrats Trumpistas. Your election of El Trumpo presidente Payaso pa siempre ruined the country.
You fear-mongered yourself into believing the three nominees were crazy Trump-loving radical rightists. I knew better.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:49 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Which just proves my point, you don't have a clue....they are following the law as they have the ability to do. Why are you against that? Or are you upset that all these judges are throwing out the cases?
Don't even pretend Republicans are following any law because none of their lawsuits have had any standing whatsoever.

What the Repubicans ARE doing is intentional and fraudulent defamation of the government by casting doubt on a fair election WITH NO PROOF WHATSOEVER. It absolutely is sedition. Textbook.

The tyranny that you right-wing nut-jobs have been preparing your whole lives for finally arrived, and it is you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies