Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2020, 11:26 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times

Advertisements

What would happen if a young white person really took the "racial reckoning" to heart and dedicated herself to being the most informed, enthusiastic, and authentically woke ally she could possibly be, to the point of transferring so she could finish her degree at an HBCU?

Quote:
“Transferring to a Historically Black College or University has been my dream for almost two years now. I could never have genuinely imagined I’d be transferring to the #1 HBCU in the country, Spelman College,” she wrote. “The home of Black Girl magic. I feel beyond grateful for every facet of my journey & for this IMMENSE privilege. During April of 2019, I stood gazing at the ocean next to one of my best friends at the Black Student Union bonfire when he told me I should think about going to an HBCU. From that moment on, I knew God had a plan for me.”

“I understand the privilege I hold as a White woman in America and I choose to wake up everyday [sic] using this privilege to create a more equitable and healed world. I aim to continue to learn...
https://twitter.com/_xmilan/status/1...736579/photo/1

Nothing good, apparently. She's being pilloried on Twitter and other media for "fetishizing" and being an "invader". This...

Quote:
It's not judging her or refusing to accept her. It's understanding history. There isn't a single example in the entirety of human history of one white person coming into a Black space and allowing it to remain a Black space. Countries, neighborhoods, schools, etc...

A white person who claims to be an ally and understands history should understand that and choose to protect Black spaces from the outside. Not insert themselves.

Any Black person who has an issue with this has to change their attitude to make her welcome. That's the problem.
https://twitter.com/MilvertonSaint/s...99286273765381

... is the most liked response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 11:39 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
She's not the first white person at an HBCU.

Good for her to do what she wants - but there's nothing earth shattering here.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:01 AM

29 posts, read 18,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
What would happen if a young white person really took the "racial reckoning" to heart and dedicated herself to being the most informed, enthusiastic, and authentically woke ally she could possibly be, to the point of transferring so she could finish her degree at an HBCU?

https://twitter.com/_xmilan/status/1...736579/photo/1

Nothing good, apparently. She's being pilloried on Twitter and other media for "fetishizing" and being an "invader". This...

https://twitter.com/MilvertonSaint/s...99286273765381

... is the most liked response.
Blacks are not a big fan of diversity is our strength when their 100% racially homogeneous Black spaces are no longer 100% Black!

Old 12-12-2020, 02:11 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
She's not the first white person at an HBCU.

Good for her to do what she wants - but there's nothing earth shattering here.
Same with female kickers...

Old 12-12-2020, 02:55 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaMezzoMare View Post
Blacks are not a big fan of diversity is our strength when their 100% racially homogeneous Black spaces are no longer 100% Black!
Not a single HBCU is 100% black in 2020, although some are close. 2 of them are actually majority white schools and several are trending that way.

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th most liked comments.

"Crazy some feel like a white girl shouldn’t attend an HBCU yet we go to PWI’s, private colleges built for white people. You also can’t ever expect for white people to understand and be better humans and allies if they can’t experience you first hand.

Like pick a side."

"Y’all should welcome her until she gives reason to not be welcomed"

"When I attended a PWI I wasn’t trying to “create a space”, “make a change” or nothing else bc that school wasn’t originally created for me, so I’m just confused on why she’s treating HBCUs like a community service/ political campaign???? Her reasoning is what makes it weird.."

The people who care about the tweet are more likely to be race-obsessed in the first place so it's a completely bias.

Also African Americans aren't "racially homogenous" while people who self identify as Black are on average 80% African nearly everyone from around 7/8 ths black to 100% black identifies as Black within America, so it isn't that racially homogenous either.

Old 12-12-2020, 04:53 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Nothing new at all.

Other groups go to HBCUs. It’s especially nothing for non-black Caribbean people to attend HBCUs. They are accustomed to being around black people. I know a good number of them who went.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:06 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I hope it works out for her. Honestly, the overwhelming majority of the students there will be fine with her. A small but vocal and angry minority (and angry Twitter users throughout the country) will try to give her hell.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:10 AM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DillaDaze_ View Post
I understand that their still differences, and being a minority in a school feels alienating.

But I don't see a problem with someone going to a historically majority [insert color/culture here] school.

But having to explain and make a big deal about it makes it seem fake and condescending. I think the best way to go about it is to have the school accept students of different ethnicities to have a sort of learning experience and promote it as a way to encourage walking in other shoes.

It needs to be less "Look how woke I am!", and more being humble.

There needs to be an incentive for all of us to learn from one another try and walk in each other's shoes. Otherwise, we keep going around in circles pointing fingers.
I think you're onto something with the bolded part as why some people may not react so favorably. It would be similar to a wealthy, hot shot from a large city waltzing into a small town and said "I am a country bumpkin just like you all are." "Uhhhh.....Yeah, thanks, we really needed you here to save our town" would be the reaction. It could feel a little patronizing. That's basically true of trying to insert oneself into any social group in a way that doesn't happen organically. That goes well beyond racial issues.

Personally, I have a friend who is a rural, white, politically conservative (BTW her politics are different from mine too but we get along well) lady that went to a HBU and said everyone was very friendly and welcoming but then she is the type that tries to focus on things she has in common with people in a natural way, rather than being contrarian or trying "too hard" to fit in to the point that it feels disingenuous. And that's why she's so accepted in such a wide range of social circles.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:15 AM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Once you go HBCU ...

You never go back.

Say the Men of Morehouse....

Old 12-12-2020, 06:25 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,289,311 times
This isn’t a serious issue to virtually anyone other than the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies