Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 10:15 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,400,962 times

Advertisements

I usually vacation in the remote countryside, so I’m quite far from police help if I need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 10:17 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,984,816 times
Defund is an unfortunate choice of word, but the reps latched onto it and won't let it go. If we invest in our communities and deal with homelessness, drug addiction, unemployment, education, etc., then we will be preventing crime before it happens. Using resources to prevent crime makes more sense than continually building up police forces to deal with the consequences of not preventing it. So yes, I would happily visit a strong community that has put people first and needs less policing.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:17 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,353,375 times
Would You Vacation In A State Where The Police Were Defunded?

Only in a 2A state.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:23 AM

989 posts, read 768,734 times
There are no Republican States that draw our vacation desires other than Florida, and we live there. There are also only a very few Democratic states that get our attention either other than Hawaii and California. Before we retired I worked in virtually every state in the USA so I have a lot of experience as to where I would even consider taking my family. We prefer to vacation overseas if we venture further than our own state as we live in a resort area. However we are probably not the norm, fortunately we have the ability to go anywhere we like for as long as we like.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:46 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I would totally vacation in a state where police were defunded. That way I would not have to witness disenfranchised groups being slaughtered at the hands of this publicly funded militia we call the police.
Right, you'd just continue to watch without regard for the thousands gunned down each year by gang and drug violence. But since you can't blame whitey or cops, it would be okay?

Old 12-13-2020, 10:51 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
To answer the OP, I would not vacation in any jurisdiction where the police are not respected and are under attack from politicians. This includes safe cities. It's a matter of principle for me. I just choose not to spend my dollars in such places.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:54 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,403,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
When deciding where to vacation, do you ever consider crime (violent and/or non-violent) as a factor in your decision? How about changing what your family does when there on vacation?

So, if police have been defunded by politicians at your vacation destination, and their state/city crime rates have gone up, would you take your family there on vacation? How about if you are traveling alone? Would you go out at night? Be more careful about where you park your car? Use more or less public transportation?

I'm trying to figure out if politicians consider tourism impact/dollars when they decide to defund their police but for all I know, a lot of crime doesn't faze tourists and their vacation plans, normally.

No but I would move to a state that is in the process of defunding the police if I was considering a career of crime.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:58 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
I have always wanted to go to San Francisco but not now. There are other cities as well but I'm afraid of the rise in crime, the lack of policing and the ridiculous nature of the fools that block roads to protest. I can't imagine turning a corner and driving into a "protest" and then being in fear for my life and being forced to drive through it to later be arrested.

It's not worth risk and this is if the covid ever gets cleared up.

Between the homeless, the drug users, the drunks and deranged we now add to the list emboldened criminals that have nothing to lose and little fear of legal repercussions. I don't know why anyone would want to go to a Democrat run city.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:29 PM

41,939 posts, read 75,137,295 times
I'll vacation wherever I want to. Safety is a consideration, of course, but safety and the allocation of police resources are two separate things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm trying to figure out if politicians consider tourism impact/dollars when they decide to defund their police but for all I know, a lot of crime doesn't faze tourists and their vacation plans, normally.
First, you need to figure out how "defund" is defined. It doesn't mean what you think it means, at least in this instance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Many cities have promised to do so and have taken steps towards it. Others are discussing it. Some have diverted funds from police to other functions.
Diverting funds is exactly what "defund" means - money is reallocated from traditional police operations toward people that can support the police in de-escalating a potentially violent situation, and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
What really is going on is states and or cities are reevaluating how their "police budgets" can be better applied to diversify the resources that their force is able to respond with. Perhaps the days of every police force having an armored personnel carrier with a swat team against terrorists have come to an end.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
nowhere safe.. nope. it would be like me taking a vacation in one of Chicago's high crime area, or even Philadelphia or Detroit. no thanks.
There are plenty of safe locations to vacation in within Detroit, Philadelphia, and even Chicago. It would be ridiculous to think there are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It seems many cities are just diverting money from police to social work.
So if there is a robbery in progress they will send a person with a questionnaire on a clipboard instead of a person with a gun.
That's not how it works.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:39 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,805,915 times
I'd go by crime statistics rather than artificial information like whether police are funded or not. Today, the top states to avoid based on crime statistics are:

Alaska
New Mexico
Tennessee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies