Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 07:07 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times

Advertisements

Looks to be a city issue, and no I would not vacation or travel to a city that has defunded their police. Oddly, where the police are being defunded, the cities are poop holes anyway that I wouldn't vacation or travel to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 09:17 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Incorrect. Period. No one is impressed with your sad attempt at using semantics to avoid addressing the issue. Go. Away. Bye.
Excuse me? I live in Minneapolis and have been paying pretty close attention to local politics. Minneapolis city council has discussed defunding the police and thus far this has materialized in a tiny cut to the budget. Meanwhile St. Paul has not broached the subject and I’m not aware of a single suburb that has brought it up. It’s only happening in Minneapolis. If you want to correct me go ahead and set the record straight. Otherwise perhaps you’re the one who should go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Looks to be a city issue, and no I would not vacation or travel to a city that has defunded their police. Oddly, where the police are being defunded, the cities are poop holes anyway that I wouldn't vacation or travel to.
So by your own admission this isn’t a material issue to you as you already had your mind made up about the cities in question. Carry on then.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:36 AM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Incorrect. Period. No one is impressed with your sad attempt at using semantics to avoid addressing the issue. Go. Away. Bye.
Yeah "Defunding the police doesn't really mean defunding the police". Only in the mind of a Leftist Democrat

Seattle
""Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best, a 28-year veteran of the department and Seattle’s first Black police leader, stepped down after the City Council approved the country’s most ambitious police restructuring plan to date, including a $3.5 million budget cut and the reinvestment of over $17 million."
“That, for me, I’m done—can’t do it,” Best said Tuesday, announcing her resignation." "

Austin
"Dawn Buckingham
@DrBuckinghamTX. Aug 13
Please see below for my statement on @austintexasgov’s reckless proposal to cut @Austin_Police’s budget by up to $150 million in order to fund abortions in the name of progressivism.I strongly urge they reconsider and focus on using our tax dollars to protect its citizens.#txlege""

Last edited by LS Jaun; 12-15-2020 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-15-2020, 12:07 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
A couple points here about Minneapolis:

1) The only jurisdiction which has even floated the idea of “defunding” police is Minneapolis city limits. Minneapolis is a city of 430,000 people in a metropolitan area with more than 3.6 million people.

2) The Minneapolis Police Department is still alive and well. The city council recently voted to decrease the budget by 5% in 2021 and will send funds to other crime prevention programs. This won’t even result in a reduction in police officers.

3) I’ve lived here almost my entire life. Crime has increased slightly this year in a few categories but outside of a few higher crime neighborhoods it isn’t even noticeable. The crime rate was significantly higher here in the 90s and early 2000s. Don’t believe me? Look at historical city crime reports.

4) I wouldn’t have traveled here this year either. Not because of the police or crime though, but because of COVID. Everything is shut down here, including movie theaters. It’s depressing. Come back once everyone has been vaccinated and things go back to normal.

Yep, "Minneapolis Police Department is still alive and well", "no reduction of police", "Crime has increased slightly this year"

"Spann, a longtime community activist who works for the Jordan Area Community Council, cannot recall another time when things were this bad — not even when the city was branded “Murderapolis,” during a spike in violence in the mid-1990s."

"Homicides in Minneapolis are up 50 percent, with nearly 75 people killed across the city so far this year. More than 500 people have been shot, the highest number in more than a decade and twice as many as in 2019. And there have been more than 4,600 violent crimes — including hundreds of carjackings and robberies — a five-year high"

"Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said over 100 officers have left the force — more than double the number in a typical year"

"Ron Meuser Jr., a Twin Cities personal injury attorney, said he represents 175 Minneapolis police officers who have left the force or are in the process of filing disability claims that would allow them to leave their jobs permanently, many citing PTSD from recent civil unrest."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2d8_story.html

Old 12-15-2020, 12:19 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Yep, "Minneapolis Police Department is still alive and well", "no reduction of police", "Crime has increased slightly this year"

"Spann, a longtime community activist who works for the Jordan Area Community Council, cannot recall another time when things were this bad — not even when the city was branded “Murderapolis,” during a spike in violence in the mid-1990s."

"Homicides in Minneapolis are up 50 percent, with nearly 75 people killed across the city so far this year. More than 500 people have been shot, the highest number in more than a decade and twice as many as in 2019. And there have been more than 4,600 violent crimes — including hundreds of carjackings and robberies — a five-year high"

"Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said over 100 officers have left the force — more than double the number in a typical year"

"Ron Meuser Jr., a Twin Cities personal injury attorney, said he represents 175 Minneapolis police officers who have left the force or are in the process of filing disability claims that would allow them to leave their jobs permanently, many citing PTSD from recent civil unrest."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2d8_story.html
There have been 78 homicides in Minneapolis this year with two weeks left to go. I’m guessing we’ll end up with 80.

To compare, there were 97 murders here in 1995, and all while there were 50,000 less people living here. That was when the name “Murderapolis” was coined. As I stated - crime was worse here in the 90s. This isn’t just my opinion. It is supported by crime statistics.

Old 12-15-2020, 12:24 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,525,830 times
"Defunded " was a poor term as it did not literally mean defunded. The OP should have done research before ignorantly making his post.

Old 12-15-2020, 12:27 PM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
It's a good question. I'm asking myself if I'll ever spend a dime in a state that tried to overthrow our election. (I won't.)

Old 12-15-2020, 12:36 PM

4,299 posts, read 1,556,670 times
Absolutely.

Old 12-15-2020, 12:46 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,613,724 times
BLM is getting lip service from most of these places who are "investigating" or forming committees etc. etc.

Only a teeny tiny amount of places are even making token efforts.

Elections over, they're no longer needed.

Old 12-15-2020, 12:51 PM

16,087 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Defunding is an elusive term. Here it means having a lesser alternative than sending a swat team out to every call of a person acting out. Those situations almost always end with a dead mentally ill son or homeless person wielding a pencil. Fewer police in riot gear is generally helpful in those situations. We have a history of police killings over a relatively short time span before the DOJ stepped in. We need a strong police force because when someone goes off the rails they tend to go way off -- but that is not common. I actually think that casual police visibility is good, especially on foot, where people congregate.

Since I seldom vacation is cities I would most likely not even know or care. I have not heard that an entire state is "defunding" the police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies