Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 04:15 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times

Advertisements

What does the New Testament have to say about abortion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2020, 04:16 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,212,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It looks like he possibly could.

Unlike most presidents of recent vintage, Biden is a regular church-goer, going to mass most Sundays. The same can't be said of most recent president. Not even Bush #2, in spite of being an evangelical protestant, got to church on a regular basis. I'm not sure, but I think you might have to go back to Jimmy Carter to find a president who attended church services regularly.

Granted, the office of POTUS restricts what one can publicly do. But at least it's his plan to attend some church in DC on a regular basis.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/13/polit...ith/index.html
I believe you are correct. The Carters did attend church as often as the job allowed.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
It has become clear to me that for most of the religious right, the only political thing that matters to them is one particular issue.

Did you not know there are many other issues besides abortion?

For example, Jesus also says we should not divorce our spouse except in cases of marital infidelity. But I don't see a lot of people on the religious right going around (anymore) saying we should make divorce laws dramatically stricter.
There's a bunch of things the religious right ignores. The southern Baptist Convention supported abortion until the politically inclined holy rollers focused on abortion as a wedge issue.

The Catholics say you can divorce, but not remarry. I know a few who did and were refused communion. And a friend, whose dad was refused, ended up blowing his brains out due to his confusion over church teaching. My takeaway there was if you married a divorced woman, don't send your kids to Catholic school.

But, in my perfect world, the churches who teach birth control and abortion are sins, need to step up and raise all these kids.

Joe Biden probably, like many others, does not condone abortion. They just know different religions have different views. If it comes down to religion or civil rights, religion has to take a back seat. My religions say life begins at quickening.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:34 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
If only people who were perfect saints could be considered Christians, there would be no Christians.

One could also say that executing people is un-Christian ("thou shalt not kill") and yet the supposedly pro-Christian Trump is going on a execution spree before he leaves.

You could say they're even on that matter. Otherwise, Joe Biden is probably 100 times more Godly than the borderline atheist who will become an ex-president on January 20th.
First of all, it’s “thou shall not murder” not kill. Executing a lawful death sentence doesn’t fall under that.

As far as the original question, didn’t the elder Bush go to church? I also remember Clinton in church, but I can’t remember if he went every week.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:36 PM

612 posts, read 240,514 times
Quote:
It looks like he possibly could.

Unlike most presidents of recent vintage, Biden is a regular church-goer, going to mass most Sundays. The same can't be said of most recent president. Not even Bush #2, in spite of being an evangelical protestant, got to church on a regular basis. I'm not sure, but I think you might have to go back to Jimmy Carter to find a president who attended church services regularly.

Granted, the office of POTUS restricts what one can publicly do. But at least it's his plan to attend some church in DC on a regular basis.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/13/polit...ith/index.html
What type of church does China have?

Old 12-13-2020, 04:38 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Church of the poisoned and demented mind, I can see that for China Joe !!!

Old 12-13-2020, 04:40 PM

Going to regular church service is a PITA for the other attendees and the secret service.

That's why Obama stopped going home to Chicago. They had to frisk all his neighbors every time they left their houses.

And why Bush built the ranch in Crawford.

Carter had a problem, but they worked it out.

Don't know about Bill, but Hillary was a regular church goer. Plus she went to weekly Bible study in DC with republican women.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:43 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
First of all, it’s “thou shall not murder” not kill. Executing a lawful death sentence doesn’t fall under that.
"Lawful." According to your reasoning, because abortion is "lawful" (and it is), it does not count as "murder."

Quote:
As far as the original question, didn’t the elder Bush go to church? I also remember Clinton in church, but I can’t remember if he went every week.
That's a good question, I'm not sure.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:45 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,508,104 times
The Ten Commandments are not the same for Jews, Catholics and Protestants. The Catholic on this is You Shall Not Kill.

Old 12-13-2020, 04:49 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
Quote:
Could Joe Biden be the first regular-church-attending POTUS in a long while?
He'll be the first regular-church-attending Palmist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies