Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 05:26 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times

Advertisements

This is just bizzare. Government is claiming inflation is only 1.2% year over year and 10-year treasury rate is 0.9% but there is massive, massive hyper-inflation.

The price of commodities is skyrocketing and it is very widespread across metals, lumber and many agricultural products.

The housing prices have skyrocketed so much that is entertainment just to look at different cities and the prices of a home.

Tiny homes in places like Denver, Salt Lake City, Boise going for 500,000 dollars or more. A small house in Central Boulder is over a million dollars.

Many minimum wages are skyrocketing across America, many employer health care costs are skyrocketing also.

https://www.multpl.com/10-year-treasury-rate

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...es-millennials

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodities

https://cdn.nar.realtor/sites/defaul...2020-11-12.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 05:30 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,056,551 times
It does seem strange, just thinking about my grocery bills lately - I swear food has spiked 20-30% in the last year.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:45 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
It does seem strange, just thinking about my grocery bills lately - I swear food has spiked 20-30% in the last year.
I go to the grocery store closest to me now because it's a low volume store. It is also a large chain grocer.

I used to shop around more.

The grocery store I go to used to have lots of markdowns, far more items on special and the sales prices were far better in my opinion compared to currently.

I also notice how in general sales prices were all one brand, now many times they are just one flavor of a brand.

Produce has especially gone up and the quality has gone down. I have noticed far more avacados are ripe and tomatos are softer which sometimes I wonder if the transport prices have increased because of scarcity of transport labor.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:50 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
This is just bizzare. Government is claiming inflation is only 1.2% year over year and 10-year treasury rate is 0.9% but there is massive, massive hyper-inflation.

The price of commodities is skyrocketing and it is very widespread across metals, lumber and many agricultural products.

The housing prices have skyrocketed so much that is entertainment just to look at different cities and the prices of a home.

Tiny homes in places like Denver, Salt Lake City, Boise going for 500,000 dollars or more. A small house in Central Boulder is over a million dollars.

Many minimum wages are skyrocketing across America, many employer health care costs are skyrocketing also.

https://www.multpl.com/10-year-treasury-rate

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...es-millennials

https://tradingeconomics.com/commodities

https://cdn.nar.realtor/sites/defaul...2020-11-12.pdf
There is no hyper inflation across the US, yet.

As far as real estate goes, it’s local down to the zip code, neighborhood within, sometimes block or in the case of condos, the building.

When demand exceeds supply, market value increases. Some areas are hot. Others, not so much.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:53 PM

9,520 posts, read 4,346,563 times
We're not even in the ballpark of being in a hyperinflation situation. The Fed defines hyperinflation as when the price of goods and services goes up 50% in 1 month. We may be in a galloping inflation situation, which is defined as a 10% increase per year. Money is devalued when its printed with no basis. The stimulus checks being distributed has devalued the dollar and inflation simply spreads that pain over all users of the currency. There is no free lunch. Without a corresponding increase in revenue (taxes), handing out free money, whether it be via stimulus checks, student loan forgiveness, etc., will be paid for via inflation. Remember that when voting for candidates who want to throw money at every issue.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:59 PM

648 posts, read 432,073 times
The increase in food costs has been predicted for several years, and is due to ridiculous laws/regulations that were put in place during the Obama Admin. No surprise there. Where you getting your info on house prices? Completely wrong. There have not been enough home sales this year to compare to prior years, and the few houses that have sold in many areas tend to be very large and expensive houses, which only makes it look like prices are going up.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:11 PM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Do people really believe trillions of dollars can be created without consequence? I hope you're ready for your next lesson.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:13 PM

25,770 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Better get out of the dollar while the getting's good. Just sayin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Do people really believe trillions of dollars can be created without consequence? I hope you're ready for your next lesson.
Amen.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:25 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,371,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoilslick View Post
The increase in food costs has been predicted for several years, and is due to ridiculous laws/regulations that were put in place during the Obama Admin. No surprise there. Where you getting your info on house prices? Completely wrong. There have not been enough home sales this year to compare to prior years, and the few houses that have sold in many areas tend to be very large and expensive houses, which only makes it look like prices are going up.
Come buy a house in the Phoenix valley. Bring about $300,000 for a crappy run down house in a crappy run down part of Mesa.

Old 12-14-2020, 06:50 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,416,761 times
I need to sell my house pretty soon and I’m pretty pleased with the recent appreciation, at the same time I feel like I should pull the trigger soon because there could be a major correction coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies