Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 04:30 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
that doesn't even work many times....state legislatures have been busy.

if employers can fire you for smoking they can certainly do it for a life-savings vaccine.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/health...tate-laws.aspx
Yea, even in states where there is a religious exemption, I think there still will be numerous legal issues that will come up.

I am surprised, yet not surprised, at people's reaction, if not being obtuse, to the concerns about the vaccine many people have. I think it is perfectly reasonable to question such things like this, it is not like there is 50 years of history behind this vaccine, even the type is brand new. There are people who have gotten every vaccine they should, their entire lives, and are pausing with a question regarding this one.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:32 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,000 times
I'd quit. Plain & Simple...

Old 12-14-2020, 04:36 PM

596 posts, read 302,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Yeah I’d do it. I plan to take it anyways.

My company mandates a yearly flu shot. You could opt out, but you would slide to a less generous health insurance plan. The deductible and copay is higher. They could possibly do the same with COVID.
So you're good. It's why I directed the thread to people that weren't comfortable with it.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Yea, even in states where there is a religious exemption, I think there still will be numerous legal issues that will come up.

I am surprised, yet not surprised, at people's reaction, if not being obtuse, to the concerns about the vaccine many people have. I think it is perfectly reasonable to question such things like this, it is not like there is 50 years of history behind this vaccine, even the type is brand new. There are people who have gotten every vaccine they should, their entire lives, and are pausing with a question regarding this one.
Yep, I'm surprised also as I think it's perfectly reasonable to have concerns.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:49 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I'm in Texas which is a at will state. You can be fired for any reason at anytime. My guess is most of the larger employers are going to require vaccination in order to avoid lawsuits. It's as simple as either you take it or get fired. Your options as a employee are pretty limited.

My daughter here in Texas works for a "covid denier." Her fear is that just as he disparages masks, he's going to disparage the vaccine as well. The only reason the company is currently working from home is because their insurance company tells them they'd better.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
My daughter here in Texas works for a "covid denier." Her fear is that just as he disparages masks, he's going to disparage the vaccine as well. The only reason the company is currently working from home is because their insurance company tells them they'd better.
Not what the thread is about. We're talking about people who are uncomfortable with taking the vaccine and having it be mandated by their business.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:25 PM

426 posts, read 958,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I think it is perfectly reasonable to question such things like this, it is not like there is 50 years of history behind this vaccine, even the type is brand new. There are people who have gotten every vaccine they should, their entire lives, and are pausing with a question regarding this one.

I agree to a point, as I experienced the hubbub over the anthrax vax that was mandated for military members following the anthrax scare of 2001. It was a modified version of the vax that had been given to DVMs for years, but there were concerns related to Gulf War Syndrome-type symptoms, complications, etc.

I disagree "slightly" with the bolded part. Every year millions of us get flu shots, which is technically a new vaccine, formulated for that year's anticipated strain.

As to the original question, It's not an issue for me, but if it was I'd take it.

Old 12-14-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
I agree to a point, as I experienced the hubbub over the anthrax vax that was mandated for military members following the anthrax scare of 2001. It was a modified version of the vax that had been given to DVMs for years, but there were concerns related to Gulf War Syndrome-type symptoms, complications, etc.

I disagree "slightly" with the bolded part. Every year millions of us get flu shots, which is technically a new vaccine, formulated for that year's anticipated strain.

As to the original question, It's not an issue for me, but if it was I'd take it.
No business I ever worked for mandated a flu vaccine. And if there are any out there, it's certainly not widespread.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:32 PM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
This thread is intended for those that don't feel comfortable taking the vaccine. If you are, feel free to scroll on by.

I did notice that Mark Zuckerberg said he would not require Facebook employees to get the shots if they didn't want to.
At least there is one good thing he did.

Old 12-14-2020, 07:36 PM

648 posts, read 431,705 times
If an organization requires it as a term of employment, then they can be sued if there is some sort of bad reaction. Employers would be foolish to "require" it. Peer pressure often works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies