Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 04:52 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

Why do the naysayers always expect that nothing can ever changed or be updated as new information is learned? Its not like they are going to follow recommended advice and do whats recommended for safety for themselves and everyone around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 05:07 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
It makes sense. They don't know how long the vaccine is effective for and its unclear if even if those who get infected don't get ill, if they can still transmit the disease. In other words, a person might "get it" not get ill from the disease but its unclear if they can still spread it.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:07 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Why do the naysayers always expect that nothing can ever changed or be updated as new information is learned? Its not like they are going to follow recommended advice and do whats recommended for safety for themselves and everyone around them.
Unfortunately they are looking for excuses to not trust or believe science. I am AMAZED that we have a vaccine this quickly. I was very pessimistic when this started. Yay science!

It does look like more Americans are open to getting the vaccine, though so ..progress.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/amer...ry?id=74703426

Old 12-15-2020, 05:08 AM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/14/w...questions.html

I've listened to several interviews with doctors and that is what they're saying.
It is at this point a hypothetical concern. Based on the animal studies it probably will not be an issue, but it is one of the unknowns at this point, not a foregone conclusion.

From your link:

"The coronavirus vaccines are injected deep into the muscles and stimulate the immune system to produce antibodies. This appears to be enough protection to keep the vaccinated person from getting ill. But what’s not clear is whether it’s possible for the virus to bloom in the nose — and be sneezed or breathed out to infect others — even as antibodies elsewhere in the body have mobilized to prevent the vaccinated person from getting sick."

"The vaccine clinical trials were designed to determine whether vaccinated people are protected from illness — not to find out whether they could still spread the coronavirus. Based on studies of flu vaccine and even patients infected with Covid-19, researchers have reason to be hopeful that vaccinated people won’t spread the virus, but more research is needed. In the meantime, everyone — even vaccinated people — will need to think of themselves as possible silent spreaders and keep wearing a mask."

The Moderna monkey study:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2024671

"Viral replication was not detectable in BAL [washings from lungs] fluid by day 2 after challenge in seven of eight animals in both vaccinated groups. No viral replication was detectable in the nose of any of the eight animals in the 100-μg dose group by day 2 after challenge, and limited inflammation or detectable viral genome or antigen was noted in lungs of animals in either vaccine group."

Pfizer:

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...l-studies-mrna

"Immunization with BNT162b2 reduced viral infection with no viral RNA detected in the lower respiratory tract of the immunized animals [monkeys], while in most non-immunized (saline) animals, there was evidence of viral RNA."

Old 12-15-2020, 06:10 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
Dr Fauci is predicting this country will achieve herd immunity by late spring or early summer. Yet he also says we will need to keep virus restrictions in place until likely 2022.

Does this not make sense to anyone else? With herd immunity by early summer, the viral cases should be low to nothing at that point. But he wants us to stay masked up, socially distant, and all large gatherings canceled into 2022? This basically means he wants us to act as if there is a virus spreading even though we are not at all likely to get it. This is ridiculous and needlessly destroys our freedoms and economy.

At what point do we demand our politicians to disregard the bad advice or for him to justify why we need to stay restricted beyond when it should be needed? At this point Dr Fauci is just gaslighting those who fear this is just all a permanent power grab by politicians.

If Biden listens to Fauci, we will never live again in a world without masks, social distancing, and never again get to attend full concerts and baseball games.
Go tell someone that Fauci lied back in March (about the masks) and you'll get an earful about how he didn't really lie.

The man has been put on a pedestal and nothing he says can be questioned.

Reminds me of "The emperor has no clothes on"

Old 12-15-2020, 06:17 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Yes, he did say that when masks were in short supply and we knew less about the virus. Science is not static. My masks are made by a friend who was making them back then at home for the local hospital there was such a shortage. There was such a shortage of material she couldn't even get elastic at Jo-Ann Fabrics and had to use shoelaces. Then there was a problem getting a thingamabob - I don't know what it is called - so the ties could be adjusted, but her husband solve that with his 3D printer.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:27 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Quote:
Dr Fauci is predicting this country will achieve herd immunity by late spring or early summer. Yet he also says we will need to keep virus restrictions in place until likely 2022.
If you read carefully, his statements include a dependency on how much of the population is vaccinated and how effective the vaccine proves to be.

Fauci predicts the US can return to 'relative normal' in 2021 if majority of people take a vaccine

Quote:
"If we get the overwhelming majority of people taking the vaccine, and you have on the one hand an effective vaccine [and] on the other hand, a high degree of uptake of the vaccine, we could start getting things back to relative normal as we get into the second and third quarter of the year, where people can start doing things that were too dangerous just months ago," Fauci said Sunday in an interview on CNN's "State of the Union."
Do people find this confusing? We do have initial estimates for the effectiveness of the vaccines, but those are just estimates. Uptake will likely need to be ~60-70% or it will continue to spread, albeit more slowly.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:46 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Unfortunately they are looking for excuses to not trust or believe science. I am AMAZED that we have a vaccine this quickly. I was very pessimistic when this started. Yay science!

It does look like more Americans are open to getting the vaccine, though so ..progress.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/amer...ry?id=74703426
I don't know if it's that so much as scientists are terrible communicators to the public. Being one myself I've seen firsthand how terrible we are at communicating. In Fauchi's case, I won't question his credentials, but even from way back when this first started I told my wife he was a horrible choice to be the spokesperson. His manner just creates confusion. And confusion creates doubt.

I believe a lot of this would go away if we had chosen a better communicator to start with.

Old 12-15-2020, 06:47 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:

Does this not make sense to anyone else? With herd immunity by early summer, the viral cases should be low to nothing at that point. But he wants us to stay masked up, socially distant, and all large gatherings canceled into 2022? This basically means he wants us to act as if there is a virus spreading even though we are not at all likely to get it. This is ridiculous and needlessly destroys our freedoms and economy.

At what point do we demand our politicians to disregard the bad advice or for him to justify why we need to stay restricted beyond when it should be needed? At this point Dr Fauci is just gaslighting those who fear this is just all a permanent power grab by politicians.

If Biden listens to Fauci, we will never live again in a world without masks, social distancing, and never again get to attend full concerts and baseball games.

Fauci tempered his optimism with a dependency on enough people being persuaded to get vaccinated. No one knows the percentage of a population that needs to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity. No one knows the duration of immunity for those previously infected.

Rule of thumb seems to be 90%. At what point will at least 298 million people be vaccinated?

Old 12-15-2020, 06:50 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Fauci is experimenting with the lives of normal people. Ideally he should be punished, at a minimum he should be out of a job. He'll then have ample time to do the talk show circuit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies