Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2021, 10:33 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
They are a private organization and can do what they want.
This has been established from the get-go and no one is arguing the fact.

I don't care what they want to call themselves. What I do wonder about is why the hoopla over what seems to be everything being offensive. Why is the term Indians offensive? Is the term Caucasian offensive? If so, why? If not, why? It will be next on the list I'm sure.

For crying out loud let's not call a kettle black. Dear God, what an uproar there will be. Oh the number of people offended at that. Politically incorrect to call a kettle black, you must say a kettle devoid of color. lol I can hear it now, that's like calling the kettle devoid of color. Sure, sounds stupid but in today's environment, it sounds (almost) normal. Well, as normal as anything else is these days.

So, pick a name, any name, a word, any word, a phrase, any phrase. Offend you? Well by gawd in the name of all that's holy and righteous and most importantly non-racist, have yourself a hissy fit and demand it no longer be used. And the masses say, yes, yes, yes, we MUST do this. So, you want offensive, there you go!

There is no end to this silliness. We are on a never stopping merry-go-round. Who's next on the hit list?

I know, Dallas Cowboys! I mean face it, true cowboys and the ones sharing their lifestyle who have dealt with cattle, weather elements, in the blood and crud of it all and you name it, should all be outraged at some collegiate football players turned millionaire pro football players playing a game for people to watch dare call themselves Cowboys. Naw, that's just not right! Jerry Jones, time for you to change your franchise's name. The cowboys of the country demand it.

OMG Yes, yes, yes! Keep this ball rolling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2021, 10:52 AM

1,465 posts, read 621,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post

I don't care what they want to call themselves. What I do wonder about is why the hoopla over what seems to be everything being offensive. Why is the term Indians offensive? Is the term Caucasian offensive? If so, why? If not, why? It will be next on the list I'm sure.

For crying out loud let's not call a kettle black. Dear God, what an uproar there will be. Oh the number of people offended at that. Politically incorrect to call a kettle black, you must say a kettle devoid of color. lol I can hear it now, that's like calling the kettle devoid of color. Sure, sounds stupid but in today's environment, it sounds (almost) normal. Well, as normal as anything else is these days.

So, pick a name, any name, a word, any word, a phrase, any phrase. Offend you? Well by gawd in the name of all that's holy and righteous and most importantly non-racist, have yourself a hissy fit and demand it no longer be used. And the masses say, yes, yes, yes, we MUST do this. So, you want offensive, there you go!

There is no end to this silliness. We are on a never stopping merry-go-round. Who's next on the hit list?

I know, Dallas Cowboys! I mean face it, true cowboys and the ones sharing their lifestyle who have dealt with cattle, weather elements, in the blood and crud of it all and you name it, should all be outraged at some collegiate football players turned millionaire pro football players playing a game for people to watch dare call themselves Cowboys. Naw, that's just not right! Jerry Jones, time for you to change your franchise's name. The cowboys of the country demand it.

These leftist morons must have never heard about the frog in a pot of water.

And they talk about people crying - JC, their whining is what starts this nonsense in the first place.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:56 AM

6,220 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post

I am a guardian of my grandson for the last 15 years and I am offended that a lousy baseball team has defamed my guardianship.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Bullied or not, the organization is a private entity and can do as they please. You don't like it, don't go to the games. It's such an easy solution.

I just don't understand why snowflakes get so worked up on something that doesn't affect them. At the end of the day if some Native Americans found the mascot and/or name offensive then it is what it is. I'm sure at it's core we can all agree that the term "Indians" is offensive and only a phrase used because a captain thought he landed in the East Indies. These people are not Indians. Indians live in India (imagine that).

So at the end of the day I don't care what they call themselves. They are a private organization and can do what they want.
You and your ilk are the first ones crying when you see or hear something you don't like from a private company. And don't say you just don't want to do business with them ... that's a lie. You try to cancel them.

I never hear about 'private entity' then, hypocrite.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
I am a guardian of my grandson for the last 15 years and I am offended that a lousy baseball team has defamed my guardianship.
That's right!

This is what I'm talking about! Too bad this is going to go way over their heads.

Old 07-24-2021, 01:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
You and your ilk are the first ones crying when you see or hear something you don't like from a private company. And don't say you just don't want to do business with them ... that's a lie. You try to cancel them.

I never hear about 'private entity' then, hypocrite.
Exactly look at the right hurray that sport leagues see declining ratings and baseless claim that they were due to being "woke".

Old 07-24-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Exactly look at the right hurray that sport leagues see declining ratings and baseless claim that they were due to being "woke".
But nobody on the right wants to force them out of business. Big difference.

Try again.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:15 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,968,796 times
Quote:
Bullied or not, the organization is a private entity and can do as they please. You don't like it, don't go to the games. It's such an easy solution.

I just don't understand why snowflakes get so worked up on something that doesn't affect them. At the end of the day if some Native Americans found the mascot and/or name offensive then it is what it is. I'm sure at it's core we can all agree that the term "Indians" is offensive and only a phrase used because a captain thought he landed in the East Indies. These people are not Indians. Indians live in India (imagine that).

So at the end of the day I don't care what they call themselves. They are a private organization and can do what they want.
I had to read this a few times to make sure you were saying what I thought you were saying. You don't honestly believe "everyone can agree" that a pro baseball team being named the Indians is offensive, do you? I'd submit that probably a majority of people don't think it's offensive. I understand some do. But the sleight of hand you're attempting here is wild. I don't see how one can even approach the debate constructively if he honestly thinks everyone agrees the name was offensive.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I had to read this a few times to make sure you were saying what I thought you were saying. You don't honestly believe "everyone can agree" that a pro baseball team being named the Indians is offensive, do you? I'd submit that probably a majority of people don't think it's offensive. I understand some do. But the sleight of hand you're attempting here is wild. I don't see how one can even approach the debate constructively if he honestly thinks everyone agrees the name was offensive.
Shhh . . You're making far too much sense and we all know how confusing that can be.

Old 07-24-2021, 03:22 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
It's downright insulting to any pasty whiteface (I think that was the term I read here the other day) worth his salt to have anything to do with Native Americans being mentioned in any sports, events, statues, etc. There must be no inclusion of Native Americans in our society, or even a patronizing reference. We must do the same thing we did last summer when we got blacks cancelled from our food packaging. Having a black portrayed on an otherwise acceptable product was highly offensive. Thankfully we did something about that. We cleansed the packaging, just as we are now doing with Native Americans and sports teams.

Well... actually, we ALMOST cleansed the packaging. I was outraged the other day when I innocently bought some new salad dressing that looked promising. It was really very tasty, too. It was some sort of sugarless honey dijon, I believe. Well, I'm nibbling my salad and I happen to look at the picture on the bottle. Oh my God! It was obviously a picture of a black man. How racist. I immediately dumped the bottle down the toilet. I'm still having heart palpitations over that. We CANNOT have black people on food product packaging. It just isn't right. Same applies to honoring Native Americans. No can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies