Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2021, 08:09 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Teams usually change names when they MOVE. Not for idiotic PC or Woke reasons. Totally unnecessary
Glad I no longer watch any Pro nor college sports. Total waste of time and now politicized by Leftists.
You guys keep saying you are happy you no longer watch sports but it sure doesn’t sound convincing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2021, 08:13 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Fiscal conservative, borderline Libertarian. And I just don't give a crap, really. It's a baseball team, a private entity.

I think the real mental disorder is constantly feeling the need to label people into pre-existing categories simply because one can't carry on an intelligent conversation.

An outsider may say there is some sort of mental disorder from people who argue, on the one hand, "A business shouldn't have to bake a gay wedding cake. They are a private business and can do what they want" and then later "The Indians can't change their name! Can't you see the larger issue! We must get angry". Sad, really.

Edited to add...for the record, I think the woke movement and cancel culture is a joke. However, I'm not going to waste my time and energy on the name change of a baseball team. Far too many people on both sides getting fake offended for every single issue. When you're outraged about all issues, you're outraged about none.
The hypocrisy is hilarious.

“We hate cancel culture” and then a day later they brag about no longer watching sports because of a name change or kneeling.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:14 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
You guys keep saying you are happy you no longer watch sports but it sure doesn’t sound convincing.
Just proves it wasn't the sports they were enjoying. It was the feeling of belonging on a winning team. It was the wearing of the jersey, and saying "if WE can only get a receiver open downfield, we'll score". WE. As if they themselves are suited up, a part of the team.

It was the feeling that, siding with a winning team, THEY were winners.

And now they don't feel like they're on the team anymore. Because the team has noticed they're offensive in their marketing, and have chosen to market differently. There's no WE. It's now become THEM. And they certainly do appear to be moping like rejected lovers.

5 cents, please.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:20 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,212,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

5 cents, please.
5 cents....nobody on this thread was an Indians fan to begin with. Just more manufactured outrage.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:21 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

Quote:
5 cents....nobody on this thread was an Indians fan to begin with. Just more manufactured outrage.
Exactly.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:22 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,212,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
No outrage here, just bewilderment at the ongoing cancel culture.
Where is the cancel culture here? From all accounts it was productive discussions.

Cancel culture is like when a group of people say "I'm not watching the NFL because so and so knelt for the national anthem and the NFL was OK with it". THAT is cancel culture.

From what I heard (I admit I didn't follow this issue) the Indians as an organization sought out Native Americans and had a dialogue. I don't think "cancel culture" truly hit the organization. But perhaps you have information that states otherwise.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:42 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Who came up with the "Guardians"????????????????????????

Person should be fired! Horrible and inappropriate name, what does that have to do with spirit and team. guardian is more of a 'big brother' name. A brittany spears/ father situation. You need a guardian when you are considered not responsible enough to function.

Terribly inappropriate name.

forever now known as, the Cleveland Wokies!

Team has gone too far, this is insanity!

Before you know it all teams will be required to change their name to a some alpha-numeric code.

COF17 cleveland, ohio, football, when they joined the union as a state number 17.. COF17 is far better than 'the guardians'. A lot less ominous than being a guardian, keeping people in line, restricting their behavior and just who are they guarding????????????????

Old 07-25-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Who came up with the "Guardians"????????????????????????

Person should be fired! Horrible and inappropriate name, what does that have to do with spirit and team. guardian is more of a 'big brother' name. A brittany spears/ father situation. You need a guardian when you are considered not responsible enough to function.

Terribly inappropriate name.

forever now known as, the Cleveland Wokies!

Team has gone too far, this is insanity!

Before you know it all teams will be required to change their name to a some alpha-numeric code.

COF17 cleveland, ohio, football, when they joined the union as a state number 17.. COF17 is far better than 'the guardians'. A lot less ominous than being a guardian, keeping people in line, restricting their behavior and just who are they guarding????????????????
Do you feel the same way about the National Guard, and the right and left guards on the field?

Old 07-25-2021, 08:46 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
I was talking to a guy yesterday who is actually from Cleveland, Ohio and is a fan of all the Ohio pro teams (even the poor Browns.) He was quite annoyed they changed the team name. He said, "Redskins? I understand them changing that name. It's a racial slur. But changing the Indians to the Guardians? It makes no sense to me at all. It's not an insult calling the team the Indians."

Old 07-25-2021, 08:51 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Why would leftist be upset with the new name when those same leftist supposedly wanted the name change?
Texas Lawyer's definition of "leftist" is a bit different than normal. Usually directed at the RWNJ's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies