Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2020, 07:23 AM

36,163 posts, read 30,619,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Undoubtedly, many of the people we are seeing in food lines are there for the first time. The stat du jour is 40% of a recent survey said they had been food insecure for the first time. Without question, the vast majority in the food lines don't have money for food. And of that vast majority, the majority are "charitable cases" - that is, everyone sympathizes with their inability that's not of their own doing to put food on the table.

In case all of that is too arcane or detailed, it means - there are some folks that have no business getting the free food. Not the majority by any means, but a measurable some.
Ha.
This is not without question.
Have you read the survey questionnaire that defines food insecurity?
None of this means those in food lines don't have money for food.
In the spring Congress instituted emergency food stamps to states to 1. increase all recipients to the maximum allowed allotment and 2. to provide P-EBT to any family with children in school who had a reduction in the number of hours they were physically in school. They also dropped present income verification and proof of lay off.

So basically anyone with kids in school and anyone who want to apply will receive emergency food stamps. Those already receiving will get a bump.

Just an anecdotal, I work with a couple with kids in school. Jointly they earn ~130K/year (which is good in for their county - median income 36K/year) and they received P-EBT. Did they need it, no, did they take it, yes. I'd bet the farm now she is laid off (not covid related) and home she will be in one of those food lines. Why, because its free and she has the free time.
Which is what I commonly see.
And I dont care if people making 130K/year, 36K/year or 0/year are getting that free food, whether they are "food insecure" or not, but I dont buy that these people are actually going hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
too obvious of a point, even though I was going to make it and hope it resonated with some people.

From 2009-2013, where was the need? Yes, we've always done Holiday dinner food drives, but why the massive drive-thrus this year?
Mass hysteria. Media convincing the masses people are starving. People wanting to help their fellow man.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:49 AM

19,977 posts, read 8,876,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Hopefully Biden fires that Steven Moochin rat.
I'm hearing Spike Lee has an inside track for the job.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:49 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,023,383 times
Quote:
I have volunteered at a Food Pantry many times, and I've donated cash to the organization that covers my region. I've even donated untouched and excess freshly made food (and cash) to our Inter-Faith Food Shuttle.

If you've got some current evidence beyond anecdotes and urban legends, by all means share.

https://foodbankcenc.org/our-work/food-sourcing/

there's the info on produce from the Food Bank I'm involved with. Maybe it's different in MO.
You are again telling me that you know more about my life and my personal experience than I do.

Suggesting that I'm parroting "urban legend"??? Really?

Again, YOU are the one who are parroting what YOU've read or been told and YOU don't know what YOU are talking about.

I have no reason to misrepresent my personal experience either working at the food bank or the kind of food I was given (multiple times) at a local food bank.

When I questioned the expiration dates, I was told that the food was still good....the expiration dates were just a guide line.
Nothing better than stale, year old crackers or cereal. They have that rancid taste.

One time I got home, and stated unpacking the box. I found some Miracle Whip that had completely separated in the jar. Scary.

Packaged, expired cookies... yum.

Strawberries and other fruit and vegetables that were moldy and disgusting. Pre-packaged salad mixes that are brown on the edges.

Starchy food, loaded with sugar and very little protein of any kind.

You get what you get. You have no say about it. It's bagged up by volunteers who hand it to you.

Still, there are people who go to get that food every month. They are mostly old people, people on disability and people on food stamps. No wonder obesity and diabetes is through the roof with that demographic.

The food that I brought home from the local food bank is loaded with salt, sugar, expired and not nutritious.

Even when I was unemployed and needed it, most of it went to waste because I won't eat that kind of stuff.

Personally, there is nothing more annoying than someone calling me a liar or telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about when I'm speaking from my personal experience.

I'm happy to hear that your local food bank is better than ours.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-16-2020 at 08:45 AM..

Old 12-16-2020, 07:52 AM

19,977 posts, read 8,876,470 times
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the Senate will not leave Washington for the holidays until a coronavirus aid package is passed, saying he supports waiting until next year to tackle the most divisive issues to reach a deal.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Again,... What would YOU do with the money if we were to get another Stimulus Check this month?
Put it towards my gut and remodel a bathroom fund. Covid hit in the spring when I had it lined up, then my income tax refund was delayed then I had to divert that money to help the grand get a car. The money would go to supplies and labor.
I've been working steady since Covid so still able to pay all my bills and buy food. I actually canned a butt load this year and bought a hog and half a cow, just in case, for awhile there was little food in the stores and the price of meat was unreal.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Put it towards my gut and remodel a bathroom fund. Covid hit in the spring when I had it lined up, then my income tax refund was delayed then I had to divert that money to help the grand get a car.
The money would go to supplies and labor.
I've been working steady since Covid so still able to pay all my bills and buy food. I actually canned a butt load this year and bought a hog and half a cow, just in case, for awhile there was little food in the stores and the price of meat was unreal.
Sounds good. I'm working, too.

So the money would help get people working and would go back into the local economy.

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-16-2020 at 08:10 AM..

Old 12-16-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
You are again telling me that you know more about my life and my personal experience than I do.

Suggesting that I'm parroting "urban legend"??? Really?

Again, YOU are the one who are parroting what YOU've read or been told and YOU don't know what YOU are talking about.

I have no reason to misrepresent my personal experience either working at the food bank or the kind of food I was given (multiple times) at a local food bank.

When I questioned the expiration dates, I was told that the food was still good....the expiration dates were just a guide line.
Nothing better than stale, year old crackers or cereal. They have that rancid taste.

One time I got home, and stated unpacking the box. I found some Miracle Whip that had completely separated in the jar. Scary.

Packaged, expired cookies... yum.

Strawberries and other fruit and vegetables that were moldy and disgusting. Pre-packaged salad mixes that are brown on the edges.

Starchy food, loaded with sugar and very little protein of any kind.

You get what you get. You have no say about it. It's bagged up by volunteers who hand it to you.

Still, there are people who go to get that food every month. They are mostly old people, people on disability and people on food stamps.

The food that I brought home from the local food bank is loaded with salt, sugar, expired and not nutritious.

Even when I was unemployed and needed it, most of it went to waste because I won't eat that kind of stuff.

Personally, there is nothing more annoying than someone calling me a liar or telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about when I'm speaking from my personal experience.

I'm glad that your local food bank is better than ours.

Have a nice day!
Sounds familiar. Sorry the food banks in your area are so crappy.
But the bold just supports the fact that people receiving food are not that hungry. Yes it is donated food so you get what is donated.
I have three friends who frequent food banks, while the food helps them out as they have little means (disability checks and food stamps but they arent elderly) they are by no means going hungry. These friends often give me food they received from the food banks because they wont eat it due to having more than enough and dont have storage or they dont like it, wont eat it, dont know how to prepare it. Alot of the food is beans, rice, pasta, canned veggies and surgery snack foods. A lot is more expensive brands that I dont buy, canned tuna and chicken, peanut butter, sometimes milk, cheeses and meat that looks like it came from a slaughterhouse (I dont get the good stuff).

I have canned about 25 quart jars of dried beans, butternut squash and made leek soup from the food I was given recently.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Sounds good. I'm working, too.

So the money would help get people working and would go back into the local economy.
I assume that was the intent of the 1200 stimulus payment, and that is great. I still dont feel the money was allocated wisely and that is why there are still so many folks hurting financially due to Covid. The powers that be did not prioritize those hit hardest.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Sounds familiar. Sorry the food banks in your area are so crappy.
But the bold just supports the fact that people receiving food are not that hungry. Yes it is donated food so you get what is donated.
I have three friends who frequent food banks, while the food helps them out as they have little means (disability checks and food stamps but they arent elderly) they are by no means going hungry. These friends often give me food they received from the food banks because they wont eat it due to having more than enough and dont have storage or they dont like it, wont eat it, dont know how to prepare it. Alot of the food is beans, rice, pasta, canned veggies and surgery snack foods. A lot is more expensive brands that I dont buy, canned tuna and chicken, peanut butter, sometimes milk, cheeses and meat that looks like it came from a slaughterhouse (I dont get the good stuff).

I have canned about 25 quart jars of dried beans, butternut squash and made leek soup from the food I was given recently.
You get dried beans here. Meat is a rarity. You are offered ground deer meat from "Share the Harvest"
Unfortunately, I don't like venison. I made dog treats from it.

I don't remember ever getting cheese from them.

And, meat from a slaughterhouse??? One time, I remember getting some end cuts of ham.

I don't think the frozen "chicken flavored" nuggets had chicken in them but they smelled like chicken.

I remember getting one can of tuna (off brand) and a small thing of peanut butter, every time I went.

Rarely was there milk.

I would tell them that I didn't want any crackers, cookies or cereal and I would get home with them anyway...
I one time told them that I only wanted milk, cheese, meat and vegetables and they said they didn't have any of that.

People who haven't been to a food bank have no idea how bad the food is. (at least around here)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies