Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2020, 01:20 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,044,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug1967 View Post
So again, why has Nancy Pelosi refused all deals presented to her for months now? All deals that would have sent much needed money to people. Why can't you answer this simple question?
I don't know why Nancy Pelosi has refused all of the deals presented to her.

I don't agree with everything they asked for in the Hero's Act.

I honestly don't...

Truth is,... I don't agree with MOST of it.

The purpose of this thread is that NOTHING has been done since April and SOMETHING needs to get done.

The sooner, the better!

Again,... I say that the simplest solution is often the best one.

And, the fastest way to get the economy going....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 01:21 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,034,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I don't know why Nancy Pelosi has refused all of the deals presented to her.

I don't agree with everything they asked for in the Hero's Act.

I honestly don't... In fact, I don't agree with MOST of it.

The purpose of this thread is that NOTHING has been done since April and SOMETHING
needs to get done.

Again,... I say that the simplest solution is often the best one.

I agree with you, but in America it's "Oh won't somebody please think of the WEALTHY"???????

Old 12-16-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I agree with you, but in America it's "Oh won't somebody please think of the WEALTHY"???????
Honestly... there is much truth here.

The people that need help right now are the average working people. Most of us have been working throughout this pandemic.

We are the ones that are suffering from the current economic situation.

And, again... giving payments to us puts money back into the local economy and achieves what they "say" they are trying to do.

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-16-2020 at 01:40 PM..

Old 12-16-2020, 01:28 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,653,525 times
Feeding people is pretty cheap and easy compared to what happens when millions soon get evicted in middle of winter. Trumpervilles will make Hoovervilles look minuscule.

Our wealthy elected representatives of both parties are in for a shock I think. They are just flat out clueless.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Feeding people is pretty cheap and easy compared to what happens when millions soon get evicted in middle of winter. Trumpervilles will make Hoovervilles look minuscule.

Our wealthy elected representatives of both parties are in for a shock I think. They are just flat out clueless.

talk about leaving behind a legacy...

A year later,... while he was sucking his thumb, whining about losing the election... firing the people that disagreed with him....
masses of American citizens were standing in food lines, fearful of losing their homes...

Remember?

"covid, covid, covid... you won't hear about it after the election...."

It's all fake news.... right?

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...r100klast7days

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-16-2020 at 01:44 PM..

Old 12-16-2020, 02:09 PM

36,527 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Honestly... there is much truth here.

The people that need help right now are the average working people. Most of us have been working throughout this pandemic.

We are the ones that are suffering from the current economic situation.

And, again... giving payments to us puts money back into the local economy and achieves what they "say" they are trying to do.
Actually it's those who havent been working that have been suffering from the current economic situation, laid off employees and small business owners.
For those of us who have been working throughout this pandemic, our economic situation has not changed. Depending on ones business some are doing better since the pandemic. Even some who received the extra unemployment benefit did better than when they were working. Those on government assistance are doing better (more food stamps, medical programs, etc.)
I dont see where 600$ in our pocket is going to help much.
We can't help the local economy if businesses are being forced to shut down.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:17 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
They recommend 2 payments and they give reasons...

Did you read the letter?

of course, not.

As usual, you know more about everything than anyone else...
friend, you're characterizing them as "many conservative economists". I'm asking "which ones?"

How would I know to question this if I hadn't bothered to look at the letter and the list at the end? By the way - your version of the letter, does it have actual hyperlinks? Mine has a lot of blue underlining, but none are hyperlinks.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:17 PM

36,527 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:

talk about leaving behind a legacy...

A year later,... while he was sucking his thumb, whining about losing the election... firing the people that disagreed with him....
masses of American citizens were standing in food lines, fearful of losing their homes...

Remember?

"covid, covid, covid... you won't hear about it after the election...."

It's all fake news.... right?

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...r100klast7days
You remember that Trump supported keeping businesses open, letting healthy people continue to work so they would have money to pay their rent and mortgages. Also emergency programs were in place to provide additional UE, food stamps, food, and a moratorium on rent.

What good did the first money in our pocket do? People are still out of work, people are still unable to pay their housing cost, people are still in need of food assistance. We saw money going to those who were not affected by job loss due to Covid, we saw businesses taking advantage of loans, we saw the monies going to pork barrels and we saw people not returning to work because they were making way more on the UE supplement.
Lets just throw some more money at it, that always works.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:23 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Good news for the rest of us...

Would someone explain to Dick Durbin and the others that direct payments to individuals will support the local governments and achieve what they want to achieve???

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp
interestingly, as I noted early on ...

sending all unemployed retroactive benefits - which now would be $10,800 EACH - about $150B.

160MM (total # that got checks last time)
x $1,200 = $192B

192 + 150 = $342B.

What's the rest of it going towards?

Old 12-16-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
interestingly, as I noted early on ...

sending all unemployed retroactive benefits - which now would be $10,800 EACH - about $150B.

160MM (total # that got checks last time)
x $1,200 = $192B

192 + 150 = $342B.

What's the rest of it going towards?
Again... I don't support the outrageous unemployment benefits that have been paid out.

Remember, I said that around here that $600 a week is more than most people make around here and that no one would ever look for work if they pay them $15 an hour to stay home. In return, you told me that people in my state all make an $15 hour???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies