Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 07:27 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
https://abc13.com/mark-anthony-aguir...center/8802235

He thought an air conditioning repairman was a voter fraud king. Good lord.

This is why this rhetoric is so dangerous. Plenty of nuts out there ready to take the law in their own hands.
Rhetoric is not dangerous.

You simply need to follow the law and deal with people when they break them.

Rhetoric was just fine in the summer 2020... now - not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 07:33 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
"Rhetoric" should not be dangerous at all and should not be curtailed at all by either the right or the left (or anyone else). Anyone who does not have the ability to process "rhetoric" and form an opinion as to the accuracy or importance of said "rhetoric" should not be allowed into public because their IQ is obviously too low to function in society. You don't kill free speech because people are stupid. You either educate or institutionalize the stupid people.

Anyone who would go jump off a bridge because a "rhetorician" told him to... should go ahead and jump. And no one should stop him.
The irony of your post is amazing.

Old 01-31-2021, 07:33 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
That article said former police captain but it turns out he was fired in 2003. Thank goodness he was no longer in law enforcement because who knows the bogus story he would have made up and probably been believed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/16/u...k-aguirre.html

Old 01-31-2021, 07:38 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
While I am certainly able and willing to say, "That's unfortunate," I am unable to sympathize with those prone to the Pavlov dog thing. Unless someone was holding a gun against the heads of those committing atrocities, there is nobody to blame besides those who committed atrocities. There is this concept called "responsibility for one's own actions." I am a firm believer in that philosophy. If I commit some sort of crime, justified or not, there is nobody to blame but myself... certainly not the guy in the black hat who "told" me I needed to go out and do whatever it was. I'm not a zombie.

And again, your stance on the issue is actually making the quasi-claim that people are zombies. Some are, I suppose. But they are the ones who need to answer for that, not someone else's free speech.
People are conned. Cults can be persuasive. While there may be some legal distinctions supporting those who use violent rhetoric vs this who act on it there is no moral allowance to allowing for rhetoric.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:42 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,308,440 times
He was finely charged by a grand jury for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He was paid over 200k by the Houston-based Liberty Center for God and Country who is operated by Dr. Steven Hotze. He is a conspiracy theorist who has been quoted many times by the MAGA crowed on Covid, and the election. What I find odd was the fact that police who came to the scene of Retired officer Aguirre holding the AC repair man at gunpoint didn't arrest him they let him go with his firearm. He wasn't charged until a year later. Dr Hotze should be charged with conspiracy to the aggravated assault because he paid 200k to Aguirre to assault the man.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/l...thorities-say/ +

Lawsuit against Hotze by the AC repair man.
https://abc13.com/ballot-fraud-inves...ntry/10458987/

Last edited by kell490; 12-15-2021 at 06:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies