Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2020, 09:55 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
The end goal is the end of the virus. Yes vaccines are part of the equation, but there are 330 million Americans, and unfortunately we see the Covidiot all about me factor here every day who refuse to wear a mask and get a vaccine. If everyone got vaccinated, it would be gone in no time. It could take years to vaccinate everyone. In the mean time, starving the virus of hosts works as well. How do we do that? Wear a mask and don't gather.

I'm sorry this concept is over your head. This is not spiel. This is what we have to do to stop this virus without killing hundreds of thousands more or leaving them with disabilities if they survive.

Ever hear of Crede Baily? He contracted Covid at one of Trump's super super spreader events at the white house. He spent 3 months fighting the virus and lost a leg doing so. He's one of those "if you're the right person this is deadly" people Trump was talking about.

You can read about it in one of the right wing sites. New York Post: "White House Security official reportedly loses leg in fight against Covid 19."

You either want to keep drinking the kool aid or you refuse to see the truth. Which is it?

Look, I've known people that have survived Covid and I've known two people that have died, and I've known someone super sick in the hospital that almost didn't make it. My friend in health care told me about one who was in the hospital with Covid, was discharged, and came back months later with Covid again. My neighbor's nephew was reinfected with Covid. Another neighbors son caught it but did not infect his mother or father. They tested negative. Were they the lucky asymtomatic carriers like our neighbor's daughter that infected 3 other people? Maybe. We've had lung transplants here because of Covid. The truth is that you do not know which side of the coin toss you will land on with this bug until it's too late. Maybe you're lucky, maybe you're not. It's always the other guy until it isn't. So why would you want to take a chance on flipping that coin when you can just do something as simple as wear a mask? Why risk being sick? It's so much more pleasant being healthy and virus free isn't it?

Go ahead and keep up that crazy narrative that Covid is nothing. It's been spoon fed to you by the most evil president we've ever had, but the vast majority of American's are willing to do the right thing. Those of you on the fringe? Go ahead, refuse the vaccine. It just means that those of us with common sense get it quicker. I can't wait for it, and yes I will still wear my mask because I care enough about you and the rest of the fringe to not want to see anyone suffer with this.
Your entire post is anecdotal and yet you call others "coveidiots"
The "scientist" at the CDC have said the survival rate is around 99.7 for people under 60.
So you will have to excuse me if i choose to believe them and not a story you heard fron your cousins, friends, sisters, best friend.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:55 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The coronavirus is not a flu virus. The vaccine for flu varies in effectiveness, averaging 40 to 60%, much less than what was demonstrated in the two COVID-19 trials so far. It does not cover all possible strains. Also uptake of the flu vaccine is relatively poor, with people deciding that less than 100% effectiveness means the vaccine "doesn't work".

Most people who die from flu were not vaccinated. It for sure does not work if you do not take it.

The goal is to reduce circulation of the coronavirus as much as possible. Since there is the possibility of infection of animals it may never be possible to eradicate it.

What if you cannot distance? Masks are not 100%, but they do reduce dispersion of respiratory droplets. Everyone masked maximizes the benefit. A lot of people wear glasses and some are using goggles.

And like I said. Reducing circulation means permanent and perpetual restrictions if the vaccine is not enough

Old 12-17-2020, 09:58 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
And like I said. Reducing circulation means permanent and perpetual restrictions if the vaccine is not enough
I am an optimist. I believe the evidence from the animal studies predicts that the vaccines will prevent infection in humans.

We just have to stay the course for a while and let the researchers do their thing.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:02 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The issue is "fully effective". That will not be two weeks after the second dose if we do not have data on whether the vaccines are preventing infection or just preventing symptoms. We need to mask until we know that.
Fully effective means about a week after the 2nd dose. Meaning as good as its going to get. Which they say is 94% or more effective.

An I disagree with your statement. If someone is high risk they will have the opportunity to get the vaccine before me. I will be part of the last part. So there should be only very low risk people out there. And if some folks are not yet vaccinated they should stay home or use a N95 / ND95 quality mask for protection. I thought the biggest point to masking up was to keep from overflowing the hospitals. With all the high risk people who are the vast majority of those in the hospital with covid vaccinated filling up the hospitals will no longer be an issue. Now its just moving the goal post.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
If the vaccine at the least makes dying from covid a fraction of what it is now, and its very low now. I don't see the point of putting people through more mask restrictions. So some people feel a little sick from it but recover. People get colds and the flu and we accept that is a risk of living in society.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:

If the goal is to eradicate the virus entirely, then masking and distancing measures need to be made permanent
Several industries must be permanent shut down

I guess if you are in the business of manufacturing masks this is good news.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:13 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
A "sheep" goes along with orders from authority. You are mixed up.

People are at the end of their rope. You are not apparently but lots of us are. We were told just want for the vaccine. Well now its being distributed and and we have to wait how long to not need masks? I good section of the population may never get the vaccine. So forever? I accepted mask wearing up until now. But my limit is after I get the vaccine.

I take my to the doggie salon and I show her vaccination papers and the give her a bath. You are saying people need more control then dogs? Come on.

I am going to go where I want once I have the vaccine and when its fully effective in my body. If a store does not let me in for refusing to wear a mask when I have proof of vaccination I will go to a store that wants my business. Any store that blocks me will never get my business again.
Better to run in line to to get injected with this new barely tested vaccine that still comes with plenty of unknowns. Then "show me zee papers" that you complied. Yes that is so much less invasive than using a little piece of cloth for twenty minutes in a store. You want to actually walk around with these papers, medical papers mind you, display them at random places to get Special Papers Permission, and you think someone who realizes what is wrong with this is the confused one. lol. You are being played like a fiddle.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Better to run in line to to get injected with this new barely tested vaccine that still comes with plenty of unknowns. Then "show me zee papers" that you complied. Yes that is so much less invasive than using a little piece of cloth for twenty minutes in a store. You want to actually walk around with these papers, medical papers mind you, display them at random places to get Special Papers Permission, and you think someone who realizes what is wrong with this is the confused one. lol. You are being played like a fiddle.
That vaccine was not "barely tested" you really do not understand the process. But don't get the vaccine and see how that goes. I am down the line in priority so I am watching the rollout. If people are dropping dead all over I won't get it. I assume that will not be the case.

I am not the confused one. Its my choice to say I got the vaccine I am not wearing a mask. Just meekly putting my little mask on and stumbling into the store because I am ordered to do so is not the same thing.

I hate the masks. I complied when required to do so. I don't plan on showing them anything unless push comes to shove if I have to enter a particular business. And if I get a hard time and there is a similar store in the area I won't show them anything and go down the street.

My guess is businesses need the business. All the mask stuff with be dropped or not enforced. But go ahead and do what you are told and even after they stop enforcing masks assuming that day ever comes.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
"Just because you get vaccinated after the second dose does not mean you should be … traveling … or that you’re liberated from masks." -MSNBC

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/stat...htmode%3Dfalse

So what is the point of the vaccine? It doesn't stop infection, doesn't stop transmission, has potential side effects, and won't ease restrictions.

These people are the worst marketing people ever for the drugs they push

I would think headlines would be like “people are getting vaccinated and there’s finally a light at the end of the tunnel.”

Instead morale is lower than ever, every article about the vaccine is some cautionary tale of all the things it won’t change. Like all we’ve wanted all year is a vaccine to end this and now one is here and few people seem to actually care.
95% immunity rate sounds good to me.

No one knows the durability of any of the vaccines.
No one knows the durability of immunity for those previously infected.

As with most every vaccine, the fewer who take it, the less likely herd immunity can be achieved.

We must have different sources for information. Mine trends optimistic.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:28 AM

9,500 posts, read 2,919,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The Democrats run which European countries, which are following all or most of the same steps?

Step away from the talk radio and right wing sites.
We know, we know. I’ve heard so many times from those on the left about how everything is better, cooler and superior in every way, and how we should be like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies