Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2021, 07:28 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,656,836 times

Advertisements

Israel is talking about a third dose for the elderly as cases continue to rise, in spite of high vaccination rates.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...ant-1.10044414

The Pfizer vaccine’s effective rate for preventing severe illness fell to 80%.
Quote:
A study by the Hebrew University of Jerusalem published on Tuesday indicated that the Pfizer vaccine’s effectiveness in preventing serious illness has fallen to 80 percent.

The study, which has been presented to the government, also predicted that the tally of serious COVID-19 cases in Israel could reach as high as 400, from a current 145, in less than three weeks if no steps are taken to rein in infections.

More than 2,000 Israelis tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday, a high not seen since mid-March. The number of serious cases has more than doubled over the past week.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...earchers-warn/

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hmo-th...ater-adopters/
Quote:
Data released by the Health Ministry on Thursday suggested that people vaccinated in January were said to have just 16% protection against infection now, while in those vaccinated in April the effectiveness was at 75%

Old 07-28-2021, 07:32 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,602,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Israel is talking about a third dose for the elderly as cases continue to rise, in spite of high vaccination rates.
https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/...ant-1.10044414

The Pfizer vaccine’s effective rate for preventing severe illness fell to 80%.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...earchers-warn/

https://www.timesofisrael.com/hmo-th...ater-adopters/
That wouldn't be unusual for elderly or immunocompromised people. It's a known fact that being over the age of 65, you already don't get a robust immune response to the flu vaccine, which is why they now make a strong flu vaccines for seniors OR you get the regular flu vaccine twice.

There were always concerns that this would be the case with this vaccine. I guess they have the data now to show that an additional booster is definitely necessary for this group.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
That wouldn't be unusual for elderly or immunocompromised people. It's a known fact that being over the age of 65, you already don't get a robust immune response to the flu vaccine, which is why they now make a strong flu vaccines for seniors OR you get the regular flu vaccine twice.

There were always concerns that this would be the case with this vaccine. I guess they have the data now to show that an additional booster is definitely necessary for this group.
Efficacy wanes in all groups according to their data. As of now they are only talking about a booster for the elderly though.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:41 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,787,533 times
Here's a poll estimating how many people worldwide would take a Covid vaccine. The article is from May, and the surveys were done throughout 2020, but I think it still has some value as a measure of how many people realistically can expected to take the injections, without force.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/348719/...d-vaccine.aspx

"... just 38 of the 116 countries and areas that Gallup surveyed throughout the latter half of 2020 would reach the minimum 70% estimated threshold for achieving herd immunity. Only one country, Myanmar, would exceed the high-end estimate of 90%."

If you average it out worldwide, 68% would take the shots. But the distribution isn't equal:

Only 25% of the people in Kazakhstan would take the shots, and former Soviet nations were all pretty low. I guess the 'anti-vaxxxxer Republicans' and 'white evangelicals' got to them. Who knew.

Given what we know about the vaccines not stopping the spread, and the reality of how many people worldwide would even take the shot, unless nations are planning to seal their borders permanently and force inject people, maybe it is time for a vaccine reality check? We're not going to vaccinate the pandemic away.

As for the partisan factor:

"Barely a majority of Americans (53%) at the time of the 2020 World Poll in September and October said they would agree to be vaccinated, which was in line with Gallup's other domestic polling at the same time.

However, by March 2021 -- a few months into vaccine rollouts -- 74% of Americans said they would take one of the FDA emergency-approved vaccines"

Fewer people wanted the vaccine when Trump was president. 74% said they would take it in March 2021. The realistic number for how many Americans will take the shot without force is probably between 53% and 74%.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:42 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,498,724 times
The labor unions are divided about mandates. They lean left so this throws a wrench in the argument that only conservatives oppose this. I read the other day that the union for NY firefighters/EMT's plan to fight Cuomo's vaccine mandate.

It's getting bigger than that now...

Biden's talk of vaccine mandates sends labor into disarray

As the Biden White House weighs vaccine mandates for businesses and the federal workforce, some of its firmest outside allies are bristling at the idea.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-28-2021 at 08:02 AM..

Old 07-28-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Efficacy wanes in all groups according to their data. As of now they are only talking about a booster for the elderly though.
Yes, that's been known for several months now, but it is worse in some individuals because they don't get the robust response in the first place.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:53 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,787,533 times
Quote:
Yes, that's been known for several months now, but it is worse in some individuals because they don't get the robust response in the first place.
Maybe it has been known for the immunocompromised, but on this very forum, those of us who said 'there will be boosters' were told we were wrong. We were skeptical about this.

No one I know who took the shots expected boosters. Some people had very bad side effects they are still dealing with. They are not getting boosters, if they become the norm.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
I was actually talking about the data from Israel showing that efficacy wanes to about 16% by the six month mark. We didn’t know this until very recently. Not just for elderly people or those who don’t have a robust response.

Old 07-28-2021, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Maybe it has been known for the immunocompromised, but on this very forum, those of us who said 'there will be boosters' were told we were wrong. We were skeptical about this.

No one I know who took the shots expected boosters. Some people had very bad side effects they are still dealing with. They are not getting boosters, if they become the norm.
I didn't expect a booster back in March when I had my first dose. But I have been watching Pfizer test their initial recipients every 3 months for antibody levels so I knew what they were looking for. At 3 months and at 6 months the antibody levels were good. I believe their 9 month data with the additional of Delta is showing something different.

Just based on what they were doing, I could surmise that there was potential for antibodies to wane and this could be coming.

I don't know who told you that you were "wrong" because that would have been dumb of that person. How could they know more than Pfizer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.