Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 05:24 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,317,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Pretty interesting as this flag was a state flag a few months ago and has a long history in the US. Many call it a rebel flag. What do you think? Should the ACLU get involved as it is not allowing freedom of speech?

https://www.wtae.com/article/new-yor...S8JxLi83LvEr4#
They really put their time to good use in New York. Let's see what else they've done...
* Puttling large numbers of Covid patients in nursing homes so they die
* Getting awards for their supposed "good handling" of the Covid pandemic
* Having large fund rasing dinners
* Letting the criminals run wild over the summer and smash up Manhattan
* Shutting down restaurants, bars, and gyms

And they still have time to ban the Confederate flag.

Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 05:27 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,487,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhtyk View Post
I think everyone should go out and buy this flag and display it proudly!!

This has gone far enough!!
It doesn`t matter how many of these things people buy and fly. They`re not getting their slaves back. It`s time to get over it.

Old 12-19-2020, 05:40 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,814,307 times
I've never seen a Confederate flag in downstate New York. I have seen a few upstate in rural areas.

Why would anyone want to fly a traitor flag in the first place?

Old 12-19-2020, 05:50 AM

33,588 posts, read 18,205,953 times
Soon they will not tolerate any Trump flag either. Ya know.. censorship..communist censorship.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:39 AM

29,221 posts, read 22,418,120 times
"Many call it a rebel flag."

Uh-- EVERYONE calls it a rebel flag! It was never anything but a rebel flag!

I have no problem with a state banning it. At best, it's a relic of a failed cause that brought on an ignoble war. At its worst, the flag is the best known symbol of the institutionalized racism that followed that war and was allowed to persist far longer than it should have.

Best or worst, the flag is indecent and an affront to everything that is good about the USA.

I understand its traditional aspects, but the tradition is putrid and should be allowed to die. There are some traditions that are not worth saving,, and this is one.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:43 AM

6,740 posts, read 4,431,176 times
You can publicly burn the American flag, but NO... you cant have a confederate flag flying.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:58 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,912,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I've never seen a Confederate flag in downstate New York. I have seen a few upstate in rural areas.

Why would anyone want to fly a traitor flag in the first place?
Guess in your mind then the Indians were traitors too. They both fought the US Army and lost. The Colonies when they broke from England were not traitors because they won??

Old 12-19-2020, 07:08 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,939,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's a flag. Get over it. Get a life, get a hobby, get a chick, good lord. Your life is short and this is your venue? I'm out. I "have a life" a family and we are having friends over with a fire pit. Toodles.
Personally, I think you would benefit from 'getting over' this bill:

Quote:
Prohibits the state of New York from selling or displaying symbols of hate or any similar image, or tangible personal property, inscribed with such an image unless the image appears in a book, digital medium, museum or serves an educational or historical purpose; defines term "symbol of hate" to be symbols of white supremacist and neo-Nazi ideology or the Battle Flag of the Confederacy.
https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation...98/amendment/B

Old 12-19-2020, 07:08 AM

4,212 posts, read 2,531,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Soon they will not tolerate any Trump flag either. Ya know.. censorship..communist censorship.
Are the two related, Trump and that flag? As long as his image isn't on the US flag - it would be a violation of the flag code - go for it. Of course his image can be put on the confederate flag...might even be appropriate in the current context, though I doubt Jefferson Davis or Lee would approve; despise them as we may, they served in their mind a cause greater than themselves; an attribute Trump lacks.

Old 12-19-2020, 07:09 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,243,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
He's banning its sale on public property only. To clarify, what passes as the "confederate flag" was the battle flag; it was never the state flag of the Confederacy. And on its own, by itself, was never the flag of any state, though its been part of state flags. It was not seen much in the south except on Decoration Day, that changed in the 1950's. Down here, we all know what it stands for: hate. Not pride. Those around here who want to honor the memory of their ancestors who fought for the Confederacy have switched to the Bonnie Blue or the Stainless Banner or one of the other CSA government flags, but the Bonnie Blue seems to be the most popular. Even the Daughter's of the Confederacy in Richmond stopped flying it after the events in Charlottesville in 2017. A big yard sale goer, after Charlottesville, this junk was being dumped and could not even been given away.

For the history of the flag read: The Confederate Battle Flag by John Coski. By googling it with video after the words, you can see his hour long discussion of its history. I am not putting the link since it has commercials with it.
We (including you) all know the Left won’t stop at just that flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies