Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 11:17 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,271,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I would guess most on death row deserves their death sentence. Even without roadblocks the process to put someone to death takes decades. Appeals are there to help protect the innocent even the if the guilty take advantage to delay. You’d hate to be rushed to death if you were innocent.
I think the death penalty should be applied only when the evidence is indisputable. Eye witness testimony alone would not do it for me. But there is zero doubt it was James Olde who murdered Pinole Police Officer Bernie Swatrz. I was still living in Berkeley when it happened. It was huge local news. In the 117 years of Pinole's history, Officer Swartz was only the third officer killed (and the last and it was 40 years ago).

Olde should have died 20 years ago. The people of CA have affirmed the law (death penalty) numerous times. Time for politicians to carry out the laws as they are supposed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 11:18 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,384,623 times
Why do people act like the death penalty is a worse punishment than life in prison? There's nothing enjoyable about being in prison... If you find out you're going to serve a considerable amount of time in prison, you might as well put a gun to your head right there.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:01 AM

92 posts, read 40,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd
There are just some cases that do not need to drag on. 37 years on death row. That is not much of a life but still better than the one his victim had.
Ya especially if he was actually guilty of it!

Quite sad......

Old 12-20-2020, 01:26 AM

8,852 posts, read 5,328,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhtyk View Post
Ya especially if he was actually guilty of it!

Quite sad......
There was a thread a little while ago about President Trump actually carrying out several executions of people on the Federal death row. Many were very upset by it. They had all committed their crimes and been sentenced long before President Trump became president, but it was (in the view of many) all President Trump's fault they were being executed. Seems many like to have a death penalty so long as you don't actually use it. This seems to be the situation in California.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:44 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,021,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
That's where people who argue that it's cheaper to execute prisoners than to keep them in prison all their lives lose the argument. These cases often drag out for decades and cost the government millions in legal fees.

I'm against the death penalty anyway.
It's only more expensive because the scum loving left makes it drag out 40 years.

Old 12-20-2020, 01:48 AM

2,078 posts, read 1,021,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
dying in prison after 37 years seems like a very worthy sentence for any crime. the death penalty, to me, is far less of a penalty than being imprisoned for the rest of one's life without parole.

It's not. Why do you think they appeal so many times? I've tried to explain it so many times but here it goes again. People on death row are not normal they are psycho/sociopaths and god knows what other mental disorders, they don't care about living a normal life with a job, family etc.. They're perfectly content living their simple lives in san Quentin. Spend 10 minutes reading random names off this list and tell me any of them deserve to live.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-death-row/

Old 12-20-2020, 05:31 AM

572 posts, read 295,419 times
Typical commiefornia. If the scum was proven guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt he should have been executed in 37 seconds. What a cold slap in the face to the victims family.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:26 AM

72,831 posts, read 62,191,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Why do people act like the death penalty is a worse punishment than life in prison? There's nothing enjoyable about being in prison... If you find out you're going to serve a considerable amount of time in prison, you might as well put a gun to your head right there.
Why? This is the explanation I can give. Many people who see the death penalty as worse than life in prison want to live a long time. Not being able to live is seen as a punishment according to those who like living. And there is more to consider. Many people who see the death penalty as worse than life in prison think about the long term. They think in terms of understanding consequences. People who commit murder don't think about the long term. When "shoot first, ask questions later" is part of someone's thinking, the death penalty won't be much of a deterrent. Violent criminals, for the most part, tend to be short term thinkers. Our conventional thinking, for the most part, is that death is the worst thing that could happen. For a violent criminal who thinks in the short term, who doesn't expect to live past 30, death isn't much of a deterrent. We have to consider the way criminals think.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:38 AM

25,674 posts, read 21,838,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Why? This is the explanation I can give. Many people who see the death penalty as worse than life in prison want to live a long time. Not being able to live is seen as a punishment according to those who like living. And there is more to consider. Many people who see the death penalty as worse than life in prison think about the long term. They think in terms of understanding consequences. People who commit murder don't think about the long term. When "shoot first, ask questions later" is part of someone's thinking, the death penalty won't be much of a deterrent. Violent criminals, for the most part, tend to be short term thinkers. Our conventional thinking, for the most part, is that death is the worst thing that could happen. For a violent criminal who thinks in the short term, who doesn't expect to live past 30, death isn't much of a deterrent. We have to consider the way criminals think.
I don't think a violent criminal thinks much at all. They don't think about the possible consequences of their actions. I don't think the death penalty is meant to really be a deterrent, but simply to "put down" someone that is and would continue to be a plague to society, and a danger to other inmates and staff of a prison.

I often wonder if public hangings in the town square didn't better communicate the possibilities though to those who took a little more time to think about consequences. If I were in charge of the world, bad guys would "go" by the guillotine. That might scare a few straight after watching!

Old 12-20-2020, 10:03 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,271,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
People who commit murder don't think about the long term. When "shoot first, ask questions later" is part of someone's thinking, the death penalty won't be much of a deterrent. Violent criminals, for the most part, tend to be short term thinkers.
Why do you think violent criminals don't steal from the Mafia? Because they understand that the consequences will be awful and as immediate as possible. Occasionally violent criminals try to rip off drug cartels, but they are never successful for the same reason, which is why not many try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies