Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 07:42 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times

Advertisements

The Cayman laws are hardly unique, and compared to many, downright mild. If she did this in Hong Kong it would jail AND a huge fine.

But whatever you think of their laws - it matters not: She broke them, twice, it appears, and now she's in jail. It happens.

It's not different than if she drove drunk, or shoplifted, or punched a hotel clerk, or whatever. Actions have consequences. If you used your passport to get where you are - you already know you're in a different place with different laws, and cannot plead ignorance (not that that matters anyway).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 09:24 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Pro tip: I'm not a SovCit.

And crimes are determined by natural law...not your ancient scrolls made by man.
I do not even think you know what natural law is.

Old 12-21-2020, 09:26 AM

10,030 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug1967 View Post
It makes total sense to put people in jail with a lot of other people in order to keep social distance because of Covid.
Maybe they have a special section within the prison for stupid people who do stupid things. Actually that would be the whole facility.

Old 12-21-2020, 10:53 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,876,931 times
Lots of folks wondering why the USA didn't respond "better" - this is one of those "better" responses to which you are referring - and you can all see here, just in this thread, why it would not have worked.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:01 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,871,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Bought experience is often the best experience.
After seeing this on the news, must admit to having some schadenfreude on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well, the way I look at is, yes this is absolute overreaction. However, it is their country/territory, their rules.

It's like how some countries give drug traffickers the death penalty. I don't necessarily agree with that either, but again, their country their rules and I'm not going to shed a tear for someone that faces that punishment.
Right on all points. They're clearly making an example, as well they should.

Keep Your Eye On The Sparrow.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:22 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,669,950 times
American citizens, particularly young ones, seem to think the US government or embassy can get them out of any trouble in other countries. The fact that she asked for the quarantine bracelet to be loosened with the intention to slip it off is pretty damning.

Even though she supposedly social distanced at the race and was negative with Covid, she broke the quarantine rules of another country. Their laws, their rules. Personally, though, I think a very large fine and immediately deported would be effective. I do not think she will serve the whole 4 months in jail but we shall see. It is a harsh lesson.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:26 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I don't think any Cayman islander cares about anything that anyone on this forum has to say about anything. But, last I checked, this was an opinion forum. That means people come here to offer their opinions on whatever matters they chose. Does that make sense to you? Or do you have some other notion as to what this forum is supposed to be?
You just don't like my opinion. Cry me a river.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:01 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Leave it to a Trump supporter to whine when you don’t follow the rules and when things don’t go your way.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:05 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
LOL. theres worse places to be jailed and quarantined

But there ain't no good places to be jailed!

Old 12-21-2020, 01:08 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Well, from personal experience in litigating cases where someone didn’t get into med school because it looked unlikely that the applicant wouldn’t pass the character and fitness part of the applicant screening, she may have dug herself a hole she can’t get out of. Licensing boards, especially those for physicians and lawyers, look very carefully at applicants’ criminal records...and while I won’t predict how such a proceeding might go, it doesnt help that she violated a medically based health and safety law of a sovereign nation.

This is where Daddy Bigbucks comes in handy, to pay for the right lawyer’s new yacht. But she dug the hole.
All I can think of asking her as a potential patient is how can I trust you to make the correct medical decisions for me when you couldn’t even make the right one for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies