Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 10:00 PM

316 posts, read 155,489 times

Advertisements

The one thing that has made me feel like there are political forces trying to manipulate COVID to achieve their goals is the way Sweden and Brazil have been treated for the way they have approached the virus.

The Swedes and Brazilians have been roundly condemned, mocked, and criticized for the approach they have taken to the virus. It may or may not turn out to be the right way of approaching it but there was no universal law that said there was only way to tackle the virus.

I can understand disagreeing with their more hands off approach as one that won't work. However, the tone towards those countries was more of a "how dare you try this approach!" Every country on earth should have been encouraging them and hoping their method worked. Indeed, if it worked then it would save a lot of economic and social hardship that comes from the lockdowns, masking and social distancing mandates.

But there weren't many who did hope it would work. Most condemned them right off the bat and demanded that they do what everyone else has been doing. Maybe out of jealousy that those people didnt have to lockdown?

You would think most of the world would at least give them encouragement for trying and rooting for them to succeed to see if another way worked with this virus.

The fact that trying a different approach was met was such disapproval and push back from the global political and media establishments gives me a belief that so many of the measures that have been taken are merely political tools. Tools to achieve a specific end goal.

My belief is that the virus was not planned but when the Chinese learned of how the virus spread and the panic it caused in Wuhan, they collaborated with their left wing and globalist allies around the world to shut the world down economically in order to defeat movements like Brexit and Trumpism. What better way to encourage people to embrace greater government interventionism and global governance than to have a virus where the only allowable way to deal with it is through harsh, big government measures and global cooperation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 10:09 PM

52,254 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Too many words to express the idea. We're living in narcistics times. Lol, get to the point.

Yeah, no one is pissd at anyone other than china.

Not sure why we need a newsflash for that.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:13 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
I dunno. Sweden has completely changed is original response to Covid. They are essentially under lock down now.

Never hated them, I'm half Swedish. They tried something that didn't work, they are smart enough to admit that.

I respect them for that.

Not sure what the Brazil headlines were on vaccine turning people in to crocodiles. The less I know the better.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-19-2020, 10:21 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
The problem with Sweden was that they lacked sufficient evidence to back up the claims made by their top epidemiologist Anders Tegnell that they could reach herd immunity and could "front-load" the worst effects of the virus. We now know that Tegnell was completely wrong and cases are skyrocketing in Sweden. He won't admit he is wrong but admits herd immunity is a "mystery."

The reason people were upset with Sweden was that the vast majority of scientists in Sweden and globally favored more restrictions and not less. Tegnell went with the evidenceless hypothesis that they could build immunity by exposing as many people as possible; he was wrong - clearly.

Brazil is a different story because the spread of the virus there was more due to the pure incompetence of the government. And they paid dearly in terms of deaths.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:23 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I dunno. Sweden has completely changed is original response to Covid. They are essentially under lock down now.

Never hated them, I'm half Swedish. They tried something that didn't work, they are smart enough to admit that.

I respect them for that.

Not sure what the Brazil headlines were on vaccine turning people in to crocodiles. The less I know the better.
In life - you should always err on the side of caution, especially when it comes to decisions that involve life or death. Most scientists in Sweden told Tegnell he was wrong and he didn't listen.

Tegnell deserves to be mocked for his incompetence.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:30 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Brazil has an anti-science megalomaniac as president, just like the US, so the dislike/distrust should be obvious.
Sweden took an approach most thought would fail, and it did. Thankfully they are altering their approach now.

Old 12-19-2020, 10:36 PM

52,254 posts, read 52,668,250 times
History is going to look back on this time and we're going to realize that we took the wrong path.

I can almost guarantee in 5rs we're going to say what the ****.....

Old 12-19-2020, 10:58 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post

My belief is that the virus was not planned but when the Chinese learned of how the virus spread and the panic it caused in Wuhan, they collaborated with their left wing and globalist allies around the world to shut the world down economically in order to defeat movements like Brexit and Trumpism. What better way to encourage people to embrace greater government interventionism and global governance than to have a virus where the only allowable way to deal with it is through harsh, big government measures and global cooperation.
Yeah, China won the planned war by demonstrating a NO NEED for any vaccinations.

The rest of the world can take a flying Frisbee at their own vaccines.

My employees, in the 70s, played folf in the woods.

Which vaccines will China make or use to be global travelers?

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 12-19-2020 at 11:11 PM..

Old 12-20-2020, 06:45 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
I don't think the rest of the world ever had any objection to Sweden and Brazil choosing whatever way they wanted to control their pandemics.

The problem they all had with those countries is neither controls its migration in and out of their boundaries. People are still going to either country and bringing Covid back home with them when they return, and Swedes and Brazilians are still traveling abroad freely.

As long as people continue to move around, the virus will continue to infect and feed on new populations it hasn't touched yet.

And because the damned disease is so quick to mutate, if its spread is not slowed, it will always find a new population to kill.
Today, it's our older people. Tomorrow, it could be our babies. Or our teens, or more women than men, or settle down and proceed to kill most of a generation of young adults. Instead of the elderly.

Simphe le mutation. With every shift humans make to kill the virus, it mutates to feed on a new segment it hasn't hit hard yet.

Like wearing masks offers some protection for individuals, travel restrictions offer some protection for nations. Until vaccines make life hard for Covid everywhere on Earth, restrictions are about the only other protection we have against the Covid.

The Chinese made restrictions work. They instantly made life so hard on the lawbreakers no one wanted to break the law.

If you are a Chinese and wanted to complain about your civil rights being stolen, they would let you complain from inside a cell in the basement of the local city building.
No one in your family would know where you are, and they won't be told. You can get a lawyer, but only when the local boss decides to allow one to come visit. Odds are, the lawyer won't know where you are either when he finally shows up.

Now, if any of you want to put up with that and are willing to allow your government that level of abuse, I suggest stocking up on the vaccine, because you'll be able to sell it at a profit to some other country later on.

None of us will need vaccination to protect us. We will all be homebound, locked up tight, and we will stay indoors until some guy with an ID card shows up at the door and says we are free to go.

But we won't be free until that guy says so. Go out, go to jail in the basement of city hall. Complain, and your family won't be home to greet you when you're finally released. There won't be a note saying where they are that will be left behind for you.

Old 12-20-2020, 06:57 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Brazil has an anti-science megalomaniac as president, just like the US, so the dislike/distrust should be obvious.
Sweden took an approach most thought would fail, and it did. Thankfully they are altering their approach now.
If your China Joe gets sworn in, we'll have a President and a silly VP in the pocket of the nation that spread this disease thoughout the world. And possibly did it on purpose. Enjoy while it last because it ain't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies