Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 11:06 AM

23,467 posts, read 12,487,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I'm surprised that you did not cite as 'good news' the part of the stimulus package that reinstates the 'three martini lunch' tax deduction.

For several years, business people meeting to talk business over lunch could only deduct one-half of the lunch tab from their taxes. President Trump and the Republicans thought that unfair. Now, these business people may deduct 100 percent of their lunch tab! Hooray!

Indeed, when I drive by the mile-long food line today, I shall be sure to yell out the happy news to those people in line. Go out to lunch! Talk business! You can deduct the full lunch from your taxes!

And the crowd will rejoice.

Or, at least, the wealthy and lobbyists in the line will rejoice.
They didn't include it, as a short term measure, because they thought it was "unfair". They were hoping that it would drive more people to the floundering restaurants. That particular item in the stimulus is actually covid related, unlike many of Pelosi's and the D's pet projects that were included.

What does covid stimulus funding to create a new and improved sun screen have to do with covid? I don't know if it's still in the new stimulus bill or not, but it was in at least one of the past stimulus bills. Perhaps if it is still included in the bill and the bill is passed then maybe you can go buy little tubes of it and hand them out in the food lines and say 'this is what Pelosi and the other D's want you to have instead of jobs or a stimulus check'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 12:22 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
I'm surprised that you did not cite as 'good news' the part of the stimulus package that reinstates the 'three martini lunch' tax deduction.

For several years, business people meeting to talk business over lunch could only deduct one-half of the lunch tab from their taxes. President Trump and the Republicans thought that unfair. Now, these business people may deduct 100 percent of their lunch tab! Hooray!

Indeed, when I drive by the mile-long food line today, I shall be sure to yell out the happy news to those people in line. Go out to lunch! Talk business! You can deduct the full lunch from your taxes!

Sorry, I did not see that in the bill as I just skimmed through it and posted what caught my eye. I of course agree with you on the martini bit.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:38 PM

Just as long as illegals are using fake or stolen SS numbers they will receive a stimulus check right along with legal immigrants and citizens. So yes, those illegals will receive stimulus checks. I have not problem with legal immigrants receiving them but I do have a problem with illegal aliens receiving them.

Sure like to see a link proving that the building and maintenance of the wall would cost more than the over $100 billion a year that illegals costs and will continue to rise as more get in without the wall. I won't hold my breath for a viable link though. We need the wall to help keep criminals and those from known terrorists from getting in right along with the other illegal aliens. What price does one want to put on our safety and security?

Yes, there is a difference between a legal immigrant and an illegal alien unfortunately the Democrats, liberals and other pro-illegals blur those lines all the time and no, illegal aliens are not going to be a part of our legal society ever and rightly so!

WTH does wanting our immigration laws respected and enforced and securing our border have to do with hate?

It makes no sense to me that someone with friends or family that came here legally would support illegal immigration. WTH?

Old 12-21-2020, 12:49 PM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
"Households with individuals of mixed immigration status will be eligible for stimulus payments under the new coronavirus relief package expected to pass Congress on Monday – a key change from the aid measure passed in March.."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ho...cid=uxbndlbing

The previous time, if you were a legal citizen but your spouse was not, then you could not get a stimulus check. I think this change makes sense.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:57 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The bad news - "The deal also makes the stimulus checks more accessible to immigrant families". Immigrant families? You know damned well they are including illegal alien families.

The good news - "The government funding portion of the year-end package would maintain nearly $1.4 billion in cash for Trump’s southern border wall, in addition to $20 million for new border processing coordinators".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...Z4s?li=BBnb7Kz
Did I miss it?

I did not read anything about “ immigrants, in the link you providedâ€.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:00 PM

23,467 posts, read 12,487,658 times
There was a sudden computer glitch regarding the bill.

Quote:
A confluence of tech snafus delayed Monday's release of the latest COVID-19 stimulus bill text in Congress.

Printer issues and a glitch uploading the bill text on Congressional computers were significant factors in the delay, according to law makers and reporters on Capitol Hill....

The 5,500 page bill text for the "Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021" was finally uploaded and carted through the Capitol just before 2 p.m. Monday, leaving lawmakers with little time to read through it ahead of votes scheduled for the same afternoon.
<bbm>
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...es/ar-BB1c7emG

hmmm

Old 12-21-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
There was a sudden computer glitch regarding the bill.

<bbm>
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...es/ar-BB1c7emG

hmmm
Oh boy, sounds the Obamacare bill. We'll know what's in after we sign it and then read it.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:36 PM

889 posts, read 272,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I don't know where you get checks going to illegal's out of checks going to immigrant families?

Our friends have applied for a green card and citizenship 4 years ago. They are here legally and have been paying taxes in our country for over a decade now, yet, they did not receive any stimulus money, nor the money for their daughter who was born here. Immigrant families who are here legally and pay taxes here should receive the stimulus check. Our friends are jumping through hoops and paying thousands trying to become citizens. It's not an easy process.

So explain to me how illegals would get a stimulus check? There is a difference between illegals and immigrant families. Like it or not, they will be part of our country sooner or later.

Stop the hate.

Our friends are struggling and the unemployment is not enough to pay the bills. They had a great business that is just about gone now because of Trump's botched pandemic response. Why shouldn't they be helped as well?

I'm glad to see millions going towards more border personnel. The 1.2 billion going towards the wall? Meh. Chump change when you consider the maintenance issues. But hey, it's all about the wall and the hate mongering and nothing else to some people.
here in CA they know how to game the system better than any citizen

Old 12-21-2020, 01:38 PM

889 posts, read 272,578 times
Quote:

the grifters in line?

Old 12-21-2020, 01:40 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,582,210 times
Worthless waste of money.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies