Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2020, 08:14 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

I knew this would happen. Trump needs ratings. And he must have the last word to stay in control. $2000 would boost the economy and help people. Get it over with guys ! Many packing for evictions - in food lines and definitely a crappy Christmas for many kids who are not at fault .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 08:15 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine607 View Post
Can he even veto it? I read that it passed veto proof.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/22/trum...-payments.html

Problem is, Congress cannot override a veto until there is a veto. President Trump has 10 days to veto the bill. If the tenth day passes, then the bill becomes law.

UNLESS, before expiration of the ten day period, Congress adjourns. Then, the bill dies. It is called a 'pocket veto'.

I believe Congress is due to adjourn soon. Not sure of the date, but the new Congressional session begins January 3rd. Hence, the old must adjourn before that date.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:15 AM

57,284 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You're wrong. As much as I do hate specific members of Congress for torpedoing the direct payments down to the drop in the bucket $600 number (CNBC said it isn't HAH!), they were involved in negotiations and did their damn job. The President who was absent in the most recent weeks of this, so much so that Sec. Mnuchin thought Trump was on-board enough to get checks out the door hours prior to Trump signalling he wanted to veto the bill. Not because of the tacked on spending onmibus, but the checks were too small. Congress did theor's Trump couldn't do his.
Understandable that they didn't know all the pork details but one thing for sure is that everyone knew the payments would be only $600, why didn't they ask for more before the bill was passed. They can't claim they didn't know about that part of the bill.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:21 AM

1,640 posts, read 1,645,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You're wrong. As much as I do hate specific members of Congress for torpedoing the direct payments down to the drop in the bucket $600 number (CNBC said it isn't HAH!), they were involved in negotiations and did their damn job. The President who was absent in the most recent weeks of this, so much so that Sec. Mnuchin thought Trump was on-board enough to get checks out the door hours prior to Trump signalling he wanted to veto the bill. Not because of the tacked on spending onmibus, but the checks were too small. Congress did theor's Trump couldn't do his.
Whether you like it or not, Trump is the only American man with big balls who for 4 years has been facing the whole class of American politicians who have been for decades betraying everyone's homeland, including the homeland of their parents and grandparents. Trump is the only one who has only been fighting the forces of communism so that they do not take over your life and that of the rest of the 330 million who live in this great nation, that the left elements have not allowed him to enlarge it more, and that like you, you criticize him constantly. Hopefully communism does not triumph under the wing of Kamala and even your children will not be taken from you as communist regimes usually do.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:34 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Understandable that they didn't know all the pork details but one thing for sure is that everyone knew the payments would be only $600, why didn't they ask for more before the bill was passed. They can't claim they didn't know about that part of the bill.
The Dems did ask and were told that's all they could have.

And yes folks new what was in the govt. spending part of the bill. Dems didn't negotiate that....the stimulus was negotiated and tacked on.

Look both parties passed it and yes lots of good discussions on how much and when and why the USA gives away money to other countries.

But this is not a Democrat initiative (hence Lyndsey Graham on Fox defending some of the spending).....but they are complicit in that they voted for it.

We should scrutinize all spending more carefully.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:42 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
For once I agree with Trump - sort of. They should jack up the stimulus to $2000, but target it only to those who are really hurting from Covid. I didn't lose my job, I'm working from home, I'm doing fine - I don't need no stinking stimulus check.

But of course Trump did get one of his favorite things in the bill - increased deductions for business lunches. That's right, the "populist" President always looks out for rich fat cats.
I know why some lefties are upset. Because Trump is aware of the ridiculous clause in there that says POTUS can’t use the Insurrection Act. People may have not read the whole thing, but enough have read all of it when combined. He’s not falling for that BS.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:42 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
No money should be going to other countries at all during these times. No money should be going to BS causes/issues.

It ALL should be going to the American people

Old 12-23-2020, 08:43 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It really wasn't pork details and they should have known. This budget didn't magically appear today -- it has been floating around for some time.

This the budget that was being prepared for some time. The stimulus funding was ADDED to it -- not the other way around.

Small but significant difference.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:44 AM

1,711 posts, read 807,770 times
I bet any 10 of us on CD could together write a better bill over a long weekend fueled only with a couple cases of beer and some pizza.

Old 12-23-2020, 08:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Sigh....

Media reporting Lindsey Graham now supports $2000 stimulus payments while Rand Paul wants to scrap the whole thing and start over.

Again, the Stimulus and 2021 Appropriations bills were meshed. The 2021 fiscal year began in October.

As it relates to scrapping the whole thing, it means a government shutdown, suspending unemployment, o funding for vaccine distribution and a whole lot more.

Media reporting Mnuchin was a part of all meetings and fully understood the compromises being made. Regardless of what one thinks of Mnuchin, he is a capable communicator.

Trump had checked out of all things Covid. And at the 11 th hour, made the recording advocating for $2000 payments. He knew the Senate was done. He knew there was a faction of Republicans in the Senate who would not agree to a Stimulus greater than $900 billion. He knew the House would embrace a $2000 stimulus. And he is off to Mar-a Lago for the holiday.

Trump knew the Stimulus and Appropriatiins bill had been meshed and yet chose to create a perception the Stimulus included aid for Cambodia.

Trump could have made crystal clear he expected $2000 Stimulus payments weeks ago. He could have raked those senators who opposed over the coals. Yet he waited until the 11 th hour. Why?

What’s in it for Trump?

While certainly not a member of Trump’s base, I voted for Trump, twice and am relieved it is over. This is no way to run a gas station, let alone a country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies