Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 12:34 AM

30,740 posts, read 21,872,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
None of those cities routinely have riots so your response doesn't even make sense. So, forget about the riots and tell me how a mayor is supposed to stop people from joining gangs and shooting each other?
Well, they are the experts, aren't they? Isn't that why They were hired. Kate Gallego is obviously a crime expert, with all of her years of experience running a major city They should be able to solve the problems they were hired to solve, but they can't. They obviously dont have a clue on policing their cities. From Wheeler, to Lightfoot, to Garcetti, to "city of love" Durkin. Just a bunch of incompetent Boobs. If they were just ineffectual it would be one thing, but these idiots are driving their cities into the ground with their failed policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 01:21 AM

Quote:
The mayors of Fresno and Bakersfield are both Republicans. Want to get rid of gang shootings then Decriminalize drugs that's what the violent crime is about in each of those cities.

It's easy to sit here and spout the rhetoric that Trump has fed you but it's just not true.

I know it's a bitter pill to swallow but at least in this case correlation = /= causation.
Love it that the VOX Reporter, likes to point out Republican cities, which mostly have very low murder rates compared to Democrat cities, as if they are equivalent. He fails to mention that the top 2 Democrat cities have a larger increase in murders than all of the Republican cities combined Fortunately for him, his Democrat followers don't look at his numbers and b's closely.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 12-28-2020 at 01:36 AM..

Old 12-28-2020, 01:35 AM

I take back what I said above, "all of the Republican cities combined" do not equal the 2 largest Democrat city. All of the Republican cities combined don't even equal the top One Democrat run city

Old 12-28-2020, 02:54 AM

14,175 posts, read 4,539,249 times
Quote:
The mayors of Fresno and Bakersfield are both Republicans. Want to get rid of gang shootings then Decriminalize drugs that's what the violent crime is about in each of those cities.

It's easy to sit here and spout the rhetoric that Trump has fed you but it's just not true.

I know it's a bitter pill to swallow but at least in this case correlation = /= causation.
I was a former deputy for LASD. Low level drug offenses are a slap in the hands in California. I didn’t bother to arrest and waste my time for low level drug offenses when I was a deputy because I know DA is just going to toss that in the trash. That was 6 years ago.

But you have to be gullible and naive if you believe gangs and other organized criminal organizations will stop killing each other because we decriminalize drugs.

Old 12-28-2020, 03:03 AM

14,175 posts, read 4,539,249 times
As a residence of LA county, I have not seen an increase in gang violence since the pandemic began in March, but I have seen an exponentially increase of property theft like burglary and car break ins. I believe that has to do with California early release criminals arrested & charged for non-violent crimes

Old 12-28-2020, 05:56 AM

21,422 posts, read 10,507,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are no lockdowns in the US.

Test positive and nothing forces you to self quarantine. Those who are asymptomatic or pre- symptomatic tend to be out and about.

Not being able to have a beer at the local watering hole is inconvenient, not a lockdown.
Yes, extremely inconvenient for the bar owners.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:05 AM

21,422 posts, read 10,507,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I was a former deputy for LASD. Low level drug offenses are a slap in the hands in California. I didn’t bother to arrest and waste my time for low level drug offenses when I was a deputy because I know DA is just going to toss that in the trash. That was 6 years ago.

But you have to be gullible and naive if you believe gangs and other organized criminal organizations will stop killing each other because we decriminalize drugs.
That’s what I keep thinking. Why do these people think organized criminal operations will just go away because we decriminalize drugs? They’ll love that actually.

Decriminalization does not equal legalization and manufacturing by legitimate operators. And I sure as heck do not want drug stores operating legally that sell cocaine, crack, heroin and meth. So just one more right of passage for kids when they turn 21? Give me a break.

All decriminalization accomplishes is a free field for the criminal gangs to operate and a giant magnate to attract the dregs of society to your city. All we have to do is look at the West Coast cities to see this in action today.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:50 AM

42,783 posts, read 26,085,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Well, they are the experts, aren't they? Isn't that why They were hired. Kate Gallego is obviously a crime expert, with all of her years of experience running a major city They should be able to solve the problems they were hired to solve, but they can't. They obviously dont have a clue on policing their cities. From Wheeler, to Lightfoot, to Garcetti, to "city of love" Durkin. Just a bunch of incompetent Boobs. If they were just ineffectual it would be one thing, but these idiots are driving their cities into the ground with their failed policies.
So your answer to stopping gang violence is to hire crime experts?

Old 12-28-2020, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That’s what I keep thinking. Why do these people think organized criminal operations will just go away because we decriminalize drugs? They’ll love that actually.

Decriminalization does not equal legalization and manufacturing by legitimate operators. And I sure as heck do not want drug stores operating legally that sell cocaine, crack, heroin and meth. So just one more right of passage for kids when they turn 21? Give me a break.

All decriminalization accomplishes is a free field for the criminal gangs to operate and a giant magnate to attract the dregs of society to your city. All we have to do is look at the West Coast cities to see this in action today.
I never said drug stores should sell meth or heroin. But drugs are expensive because of the risks involved in acquiring and distributing them. Decriminalizing them removes the power of the street dealer. Oregon just decriminalized drugs they view drug use as a health issue, not a criminal matter. How did the US manage to reduce the number of new cigarette smokers to almost nothing, they didn't criminalize possession of them, instead they made smoking a public health issue and used advertising to get the word out to kids that it's a nasty, dirty habit that will make people shun you. Well, it worked, and it can work with drugs. Or we can keep spending trillions of dollars on the "war on drugs" even though after 50 years it hasn't reduced supply or demand.

Probably the best example we have historically of how outlawing something causes criminality is prohibition.
Quote:
Starting around the end of World War I -- a period that roughly coincides with the Volstead Act -- homicide started to spike in America. Probably some of that was because of the demobilization of large numbers of soldiers at once, rather than the black market in alcohol, but a significant portion of the homicides were driven by gang wars over bootlegging profits. How can we be sure of that? Because right around 1933, when Prohibition was repealed, the homicide rate begins a rapid collapse. https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...will-diversify
As far as west coast cities, I guess you are talking about prop 47 that makes possession of small amounts of drugs a misdemeanor? If so, then this might be of interest to you. Missouri has the highest rate of drug use in the United States, Possession of any other type of drug besides marijuana (regardless of amount) is a class C felony, punishable by up to 7 years in prison, $10,000. That source lists California as being #40 in rate of drug use where possession of small amounts of any controlled substance is a misdemeanor punishable by no more than one year in County Jail. https://wallethub.com/edu/drug-use-by-state/35150 You can find states with low drug use and very tough crimes so there is no 100% correlation, but it's worth looking at.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
As a residence of LA county, I have not seen an increase in gang violence since the pandemic began in March, but I have seen an exponentially increase of property theft like burglary and car break ins. I believe that has to do with California early release criminals arrested & charged for non-violent crimes
This says otherwise https://abc7.com/murder-los-angeles-...covid/7185695/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies