Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 02:44 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times

Advertisements

Fairly obvious conclusion given the stagnant wages(despite rising productivity), wealth concentration, and monopolization trends/shrinking GDP share of small businesses.

Fifty Years of Tax Cuts for Rich Didn’t Trickle Down, Study Says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 02:48 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
In other news water is wet. Shouldnt be a surprise unless you are a blind bootlegging fool.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:10 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
It's an opinion... and it's wrong.

"In other news, water is wet."

Old 12-16-2020, 03:10 PM

25,751 posts, read 12,832,402 times
Okay, I'll admit it...I'm an evil rich guy. I hope I don't get banned by C-D for admitting it. I'm not top 1% rich though, so some of you might still not block me out.

I hope you all realize the difference between top 2% and top 1% is massive.

So, I'm only a top 2%'er, so not sure I qualify to respond to this topic, but here goes anyways...

I bought a Porche from a dealership in Seattle. The sales lady, who was newly graduated from college, & just starting out made a nice commission on the sale. Is that trickle down? A truck driver delivered it to me in Georgia. The truck driver did not appear to be rich to me....but looks can be deceiving.

I bought a new home in Florida. The sales guy, who was poor after a recent divorce, made a nice commission on it. Is that trickle down?

After buying the home, we had a parade of small businesses do mods to the home...screened in lanai, change the landscaping, plantation blinds, hang a chandelier, install ceiling fans, ect.. None of those small businesses & contractors were rich, most middle class. Is that trickle down?

I'm looking at buying a boat, the sales guy is an ex-law enforcement officer who just did a career change so he could feed his wife and 3 kids, and be able to buy a home some day. He'll make a nice commission of the sale of the boat to me. Is that trickle down?

Maybe I don't understand what Libs mean by trickle down.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 12-16-2020 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-16-2020, 03:15 PM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It's an opinion... and it's wrong.

"In other news, water is wet."
It's actually a study.

Wages have been flat in terms of actual buying power for 40ish years compared to just about any marker you want to use to measure the wealth gains of the highest income groups.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:19 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,260,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It's actually a study.

Wages have been flat in terms of actual buying power for 40ish years compared to just about any marker you want to use to measure the wealth gains of the highest income groups.
Yeah, a study on the effects of such cuts over 18 countries and 50 years.
http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/107919/1/Ho..._published.pdf

Old 12-16-2020, 03:21 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Okay, I'll admit it...I'm an evil rich guy. I hope I don't get banned by C-D for admitting it. I'm not top 1% rich though, so some of you might still not block me out.

I hope you ll realize the difference between top 2% and top 1% is massive.
not really. you dont see the massive leap until you hit the top 0.1%
Quote:
Maybe I don't understand what Libs mean by trickle down.
Yes and no. Theres a ton of trickle down at the 2% and 1% level. But thats also where very little money is. I know for most people a 6 or 7 figure income sounds insane, but its not. Im in the top 10% for single earners I think, so for me yeah-you make a LOT more then me. But my family is....hmm...how to put this. My father made more in one year then I have made in the last 50 years. Ive seen a grand total of...$3,000 of it when he gave me some help with my house down payment-and even that was transactional shall we say. Its not that we are estranged so much as my father has seen other children ruined by parents helping too much. Ive seen someone get a fully paid ride to Harvard and Yale, everything. A license to print money.....and they have failed in life. Horrifically.

So I've lived on estates with maids, and gardeners when I stayed with him during summers as a child....and Ive lived with my mom in abject poverty the rest of the time. It was....eye opening.

So when you get a tax break, you still spend a lot of it. It DOES trickle down. When the top .1% gets one...nothing changes. They dont do things that move that money, they're spending a million a year in things....but taking in tens of millions more. their spending doesn't change much, but their investments crowd everyone else out at the bottom end.

And...theyre completely unaware of how life actually works. A speeding ticket for them is more about the time the cop wastes in writing it, then it is the money. If they really want to they can destroy someones life using pocket change. Its a different world entirely. And trickle down just doesnt occur because most are spending all they really want or need too.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:27 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Fairly obvious conclusion given the stagnant wages(despite rising productivity), wealth concentration, and monopolization trends/shrinking GDP share of small businesses.

Fifty Years of Tax Cuts for Rich Didn’t Trickle Down, Study Says
Aren't we lucky that Mike Bloomberg paid the USTreasury an extra $20MM instead of spending it in FL for Bidn.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:31 PM

43,128 posts, read 18,290,317 times
The tax cuts were good to me over the years and I'm not rich.
But any money I saved was my money that I used for me.
I don't own a business and I didn't just hand out that money to strangers on the street.

I don't know why people think that if I'm saving money due to tax cuts that the poor guy down the block should be getting what I've saved.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:33 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
not really. you dont see the massive leap until you hit the top 0.1%

So I've lived on estates with maids, and gardeners when I stayed with him during summers as a child....and Ive lived with my mom in abject poverty the rest of the time. It was....eye opening.
what are the circumstances that allowed him to earn all that money, but not pay commensurate child support?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies