Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 08:41 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,834,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
A very important factor that few seem to realize is that it takes time for any new Rx like this to be actually utilized in the office or at the bedside by docs with their patients. Typically this process occurs over years. The legitimate medical journals and specialty societies help work it through if safe and useful. Then the docs have to be educated and that new knowledge applied with their patients. The Pandemic has only allowed for months, not years of time.

Down the road, say in a year or two when the Pandemic is wound down, and Covid 19 patients are merely showing up in a similar fashion as Influenza, then this med may be more generally applied.
It’s an existing drug. Not a new RX. We have a strong safety record available due to the fact that it has been around for so long and we also have ample evidence showing that it works. There is no valid reason to delay it’s use any longer. This is a pandemic. We can rush a vaccine in less then a year because of the pandemic, Rush new drugs to market because of the pandemic but can’t use this existing drug wit a long safety record because that’s not how the process works? That is not rational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 08:58 AM

18,943 posts, read 8,571,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It’s an existing drug. Not a new RX. We have a strong safety record available due to the fact that it has been around for so long and we also have ample evidence showing that it works. There is no valid reason to delay it’s use any longer. This is a pandemic. We can rush a vaccine in less then a year because of the pandemic, Rush new drugs to market because of the pandemic but can’t use this existing drug wit a long safety record because that’s not how the process works? That is not rational.
This is new knowledge and it is now out there. But docs still need to take it in, and then apply the new knowledge on their patients. A doc has to be very careful with any new treatment. It might take a year for this to diffuse out with enough cases to make a perceptible difference, statistically. And IMO by then the Vaccines will already prove to be a much stronger and effective treatment for populations. Maybe by next year we will see a significant movement towards this and other early, preventative treatments. Ivermectin is not a new drug, but one most US docs are not versed in. As a doc, I've had previously heard of it, but have never seen it being used in my nearly 50 years in medicine.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
This is new knowledge and it is now out there. But docs still need to take it in, and then apply the new knowledge on their patients. A doc has to be very careful with any new treatment. It might take a year for this to diffuse out with enough cases to make a perceptible difference, statistically. And IMO by then the Vaccines will already prove to be a much stronger and effective treatment for populations. Maybe by next year we will see a significant movement towards this and other early, preventative treatments. Ivermectin is not a new drug, but one most US docs are not versed in. As a doc, I've had previously heard of it, but have never seen it being used in my nearly 50 years in medicine.

Not logical or rational during a pandemic and with what we already know.

https://ivmmeta.com/.
Quote:
Ivermectin is an effective treatment for COVID-19. The probability that an ineffective treatment generated results as positive as the 28 studies to date is estimated to be 1 in 268 million (p = 0.0000000037). As expected for an effective treatment, early treatment is more successful, with an estimated reduction of 87% in the effect measured using a random effects meta-analysis, RR 0.13 [0.04-0.40].
https://osf.io/wx3zn/

Last edited by MissTerri; 01-01-2021 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-01-2021, 10:06 AM

14,518 posts, read 11,338,552 times
Yes the NHS is already touting this vaccine as the one that is going to save the world despite it being much less efficacious than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. It's all about keeping the costs down for the socialized model. That 25% more dead is an acceptable trade-off.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 01-01-2021 at 10:17 AM..

Old 01-01-2021, 10:22 AM

18,943 posts, read 8,571,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Not logical or rational during a pandemic and with what we already know.
Well you just don't have enough of a fully scoped idea of the responsibility and complexity of so many of these decisions as they are applied in the office or bedside with somethings entirely new in regards to diagnoses and treatments.

I would bet that ivermectin isn't even on our hospital formulary. If the treatment pans out this next year, it might be.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Well you just don't have enough of a fully scoped idea of the responsibility and complexity of so many of these decisions as they are applied in the office or bedside with somethings entirely new in regards to diagnoses and treatments.

I would bet that ivermectin isn't even on our hospital formulary. If the treatment pans out this next year, it might be.
We are in the midst of a pandemic. In normal times, sure, lets take our time to look into different drugs and to take our time to develop a vaccine but we are not in normal times. It’s not that hard.

Quote:
Ivermectin is an effective treatment for COVID-19. The probability that an ineffective treatment generated results as positive as the 28 studies to date is estimated to be 1 in 268 million (p = 0.0000000037). As expected for an effective treatment, early treatment is more successful, with an estimated reduction of 87% in the effect measured using a random effects meta-analysis, RR 0.13 [0.04-0.40].
https://ivmmeta.com/

Old 01-01-2021, 10:58 AM
JL

8,521 posts, read 14,593,997 times
I was thinking the same too. It uses old technology which has been tried and proven for years. I am hoping by the time i'm eligible that Astra will be available in the U.S. I think i will be eligible around late summer.

Old 01-01-2021, 01:51 PM

3,539 posts, read 1,624,410 times
here is an issue with moderna and pfizer. how do you verify that the vaccine has been kept cold enough through the whole process?

you can not .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_apCntEnPs&t=225s

you only have to watch 3 or 4 minutes to get the point.

employees screw up and somebody purposely warmed the vaccines to destroy them.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:54 PM

37,183 posts, read 42,375,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I have had all usual symptoms I always have.

Since previous studies on mask effectiveness didn't show that they helped with spread, I doubt respiratory illnesses have gone away suddenly just because people are being forced to wear masks.
It's weird but my 90 year old mom, who doesn't drive and who rarely goes anywhere these days, got sick right before Thanksgiving. Apparently it was just a bad head cold but she was out of it for about 3 days because she couldn't sleep. She can't remember the last time she had a cold, and the few otc meds in her cabinet were long expired and I had to buy her new ones. These days she is mostly isolated from the world but STILL managed to catch something that made her sicker than she's been in decades. She lives with and cares for my dad who has dementia, and he didn't so much as get the sniffles.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:18 PM

14,834 posts, read 12,115,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
its not paranoia if the government is currently overreaching its powers. anyone thinking all these restrictions is about a virus is blind. if we look at history most of humans have been slaves for 6000 years. they had the feudal system there were people who did not own anything. I guess humans deserve it if they do nothing.

tell the business owners to stop being paranoid that were forced to close or had restrictions on them that were so severe that they lost their business.

in my state, everything was closed before midnight. we could only celebrate news eve at home.
Of course you could only celebrate at home, there is a dangerous virus killing people! You think the government are keeping you at home because they want to spy on you!? WTF has slavery got to do with anything? Do you know what the word 'slavery' means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies