Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 08:22 AM

2,774 posts, read 908,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike;59996781[B
]So you want to kill the messenger[/b] for bringing the message.

I don't like WAP any more than you do, but it was the most-played new song of 2020. Killing NPR won't change that fact, and killing NPR wouldn't stop WAP from rising to the most-played song either.

If what you want is censorship, think twice before you start yelling too hard for it. Censorship has a way of circling back around and biting its own tail. What you want censored will never be enough for what someone else wants to be censored.
So your favorite material disappears next, and on it goes.

If you want to influence public taste away from the extreme of WAP, then the only way it happens is to participate and give the audience a better alternative. What the audience thinks is better, not you.

The extreme is to be expected once in a while. All art forms go there occasionally just to see where the limits of public acceptance end.
I don't want to kill the messenger. I just don't want any tax dollars funding them. They are a branch of the DNC PR machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 09:01 AM

29,238 posts, read 22,510,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
I don't want to kill the messenger. I just don't want any tax dollars funding them. They are a branch of the DNC PR machine.
So what does that have to do WAP?

I listen to NPR, but I've never heard the song played on it. Even if it was played, are you trying to punish them for playing a song you don't like? Sorry, Bub. You aren't the Big Decider.

As far as funding goes, taxes only pay for a minuscule fraction of NPR these days.

Federal funding was gutted during Bush #2's administration. Like PBS, NPR now depends on contributions and sponsorships to keep going.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:13 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,955,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I listen to NPR, but I've never heard the song played on it.
That's member station dependent.

WGBH in Boston plays ~9 hours a month of jazz. Before 2012 they played a lot more. Until 12/1/09, they played classical and jazz about 50% of the time.
WBUR in Boston is another member station. They are basically 100% news
WUMB in Boston is the smallest of the 3 NPR member stations (160 W). Very little news, mostly folk and Celtic music

Old 12-28-2020, 09:32 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,070,827 times
Quote:

I listen to NPR, but I've never heard the song played on it. Even if it was played, are you trying to punish them for playing a song you don't like? Sorry, Bub. You aren't the Big Decider.

As far as funding goes, taxes only pay for a minuscule fraction of NPR these days.

Federal funding was gutted during Bush #2's administration. Like PBS, NPR now depends on contributions and sponsorships to keep going.
I agree. Puritans are definitely more annoying than pop musicians who sing about what it takes to be a valuable prostitute.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:47 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,906,877 times
Quote:
]I listen to NPR, but I've never heard the song played on it. Even if it was played, are you trying to punish them for playing a song you don't like? Sorry, Bub. You aren't the Big Decider.
They didn't even play it, they just listed it in an opinion article about the best 100 songs of 2020. It's a tempest in a teapot.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:53 AM

2,774 posts, read 908,779 times
Quote:

The fact that they would highlight such a vile selection of what passes as "music" as their pick for #1 says much about what NPR is about. I used to listen to NPR and the cool, passive tone of their hosts (sounded like they were all dosing on valium) when I was in my 20's wanting to be part of the hip (or now woke) crowd. Then I grew up and realized they lean heavily left.

Every time anyone suggest cutting the "minuscule" public funding the lefties scream and stamp their feet. Bush didn't go far enough. PBS/NPR are clearly a channel for left wing propaganda. And highlighting trash like Cardi B, trying to pretend it's art should be an insult to anyone with an IQ over 90.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:59 AM

2,431 posts, read 1,563,613 times
WAP is the perfect song to sum up 2020.

Old 12-28-2020, 11:36 AM

6,245 posts, read 3,639,006 times
I don't think it's NPR's #1 song--I think it's the #1 song according to the one girl who wrote this opinion piece. Let's not trash all of NPR for this one ignoramus's bargain basement taste.

Old 12-28-2020, 12:03 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,608,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
"I'm, like, SOOO above the cultural fray, except when I deign to descend into commenting on others commenting on the cultural fray."

Nobody's buying your schtick but you. And I doubt even you are buying it.
Uh, what shtick? The one where I said I don’t know the song but I don’t care about it? You’re confused. Get back to us when you know what you’re talking about.

Old 12-28-2020, 05:16 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,795,433 times
What about WAP-less women who feel excluded? Those on the cutting edge of woke realize that viginas are problematic.

Quote:
Curtains Close on The Vagina Monologues

The show is a collection of interviews-turned-narratives from people of all ages and backgrounds about their relationships and experiences with their vaginas.

“The limitations of the script, namely that it equates having a vagina with female identity, and the requirement by Eve Ensler that it remain unchanged, leaves us with an incomplete play that doesn’t honor the experiences of trans, non-binary and gender non-conforming people. It is thus hurtful, harmful and exclusionary to folks with these identities,” said Shura Gat, interim director of the Women’s Resource Center and advisor to GJAC.

Co-director of the 2019 production Nikita Lakhani ’19 was first notified of GJAC’s decision on October 9. Gat told her via email that GJAC had “decided to step away from funding a TVM production,” citing inclusivity concerns. The Coalition expanded on these concerns in a statement sent to The Sun.

“Exclusion of gender-marginalized people is counter-productive to gender justice on our campus and after much deliberation GJAC has decided that we cannot continue to support this production.”
https://cornellsun.com/2019/10/31/cu...na-monologues/

So let's have no more of this insensitive WAP celebrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies