Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2020, 12:42 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,447,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
NPR rates a song, and the rightwing goes crazy, shrieking "Defund! Defund!"

Just keep listening to Toby Keith and watching Newsmax TV. The adults are in charge now.

BTW, Cardi B is trash, and so is her song, but I noticed TIME also rated it one of the top songs of the year. Perhaps they rate this based on popularity, I don't know, nor do I really care.

Prepare to be adulted into a depression, new wars, curtailing of free speech and a sycophantic media telling you it's all good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 01:01 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,871,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
You hit the nail on the head. They get to decide what is offensive now. They are essentially taking away our rights.
In the end, we all decide personally and communally what is offensive and what we choose to do about things that offend us.

But let’s remember what “offend” means.

The dictionary defines offend as a verb:

To cause to feel upset, annoyed, or resentful.
Ex. "viewers said they had been offended by bad language"

To cause to feel upset, annoyed, or resentful. Nothing in the Constitution about that, and there is no law protecting you from being offended except your own personal filter and the people with whom you choose to associate. If someone or something offends you, you have the choice not to be in contact with what offends you and surround yourself with what comforts you. That’s what I mean when I say we decide personally and as a community what offends us, and avoid those things as much as possible.

No one is taking away your rights because there is no right to not be offended.
What about the proud credo of the right: “F your feelings?” Or is that only when it’s the libs being offended?

Old 12-24-2020, 01:04 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,600,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
You hit the nail on the head. They get to decide what is offensive now. They are essentially taking away our rights.
Lol, what rights are you missing, huh? So much delicacy over a song.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:33 PM

47,037 posts, read 26,147,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Why can't NPR stand on its own? Are you afraid of ads?
I hate ads, but that's besides the point. Ad-based media aren't in the business of making media content, they're in the business of making predictable, targeted audiences for the ad buyers. When you listen to them, you're the product being sold. This is the reason 24/7 newschannels are so incredibly abysmal.

Old 12-24-2020, 01:58 PM

6,382 posts, read 2,947,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You’re really really confused.
Yeah - from listening to too much NPR.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:22 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,600,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
Yeah - from listening to too much NPR.
Appears that you don’t actually listen to NPR because your previous post made zero sense.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:36 PM

68 posts, read 117,927 times
I think it's a terrible pick for #1 personally, but not because it's somehow offensive or 'misogynistic' (neither of which are true). It's just not a very good song and is far worse than any other of Cardi B's previous hit singles. A lot of the music critics these days are just going for what's culturally relevant rather than what's actually good.

Old 12-24-2020, 03:08 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,530,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
You're comparing the WAP song to the Toby Keith lyrics and video. I don't think you can find 10 lines or more than one minute of video in WAP that wouldn't be [Bleeped] on this site.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:14 PM

4,166 posts, read 2,860,291 times
Triggered.

Old 12-24-2020, 05:58 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,897,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You're comparing the WAP song to the Toby Keith lyrics and video. I don't think you can find 10 lines or more than one minute of video in WAP that wouldn't be [Bleeped] on this site.
I was responding specifically to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I do enjoy Toby Keiths songs of good times, slices of American life and Patriotism. What I don't enjoy are "songs" like this NPR top pick that objectifies women and enforces the theme of women using their bodies and sexuality to get what they want.
This song is Toby Keith offering a woman money/perks in exchange for having sex with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies