Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 08:18 AM

26,560 posts, read 15,127,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And prosecutors didn’t object to the request so who cares.
Because they don't want to be accused of being racist by the fragile woke left and its cancel culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
That's your argument?

I guess using trendy words like "woke" and "cancel culture" are signals to compatriots, but they don't really add much to any argument either.

I'm getting the sense here that the complaint is that whites are being victimized.

But how this comes across -- and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong -- is that whites are angry and complaining that their position of superiority within the American culture is being degraded -- a position they have no right to in the first place.
What is the actual logical argument that portraits of judges hanging up in a court building prohibits someone from getting a fair trial?

It is asinine nonsense.

It is furthering this cult of victimhood.

If you truly believe that people can't get fair trials due to portraits of judges hanging up, then surely you must agree that we need to have retrials of everyone convicted in a courthouse that had portraits of judges hanging up?

Last edited by michiganmoon; 12-25-2020 at 08:31 AM..

Old 12-25-2020, 08:58 AM

25,884 posts, read 18,904,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
What courtroom in America has "portraits of blacks" lining the walls?.
And why should it matter? Should we place portraits of Grays in case aliens come into the courtroom and are offended that they don't have a portrait of their special selves on the walls?

As far as I'm concerned, take all the portraits off the walls and replace them with landscapes... or would the ocean be offended if there were only mountain scenes?

Old 12-25-2020, 09:00 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,578,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Because they don't want to be accused of being racist by the fragile woke left and its cancel culture.
Lol, as if you people even care. This is not a news story. When I googled it, I saw maybe 3 small time links to it. People have more important things to get up in arms about.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:06 AM

726 posts, read 329,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
What is the actual logical argument that portraits of judges hanging up in a court building prohibits someone from getting a fair trial?
Well, it's just an appearance of bias. Justice is very conscious of appearances. The portraits are all white men. Why aren't there any Black judges in this county?

But how about putting the shoe on the other foot? Suppose in an alternate universe you, as a white guy, were going into a courthouse to defend yourself in a presumably fair trial, and the walls were lined with portraits of Black judges. All of them are Black. Can you imagine that for a moment? Now, that shouldn't really have any effect on whether you get a fair trial or not, but... wouldn't that give you an inkling, an appearance that maybe your trial isn't going to be as free of bias as you'd like it to be?

Old 12-25-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
Well, it's just an appearance of bias. Justice is very conscious of appearances. The portraits are all white men. Why aren't there any Black judges in this county?

But how about putting the shoe on the other foot? Suppose in an alternate universe you, as a white guy, were going into a courthouse to defend yourself in a presumably fair trial, and the walls were lined with portraits of Black judges. All of them are Black. Can you imagine that for a moment? Now, that shouldn't really have any effect on whether you get a fair trial or not, but... wouldn't that give you an inkling, an appearance that maybe your trial isn't going to be as free of bias as you'd like it to be?
I am not sure if you are lying or didn't bother to read what you are choosing to comment on.

#1 The portraits were not all white, most were white (just like the county as a whole). Some were not white. Some were black and other races.

#2 The portraits weren't all men either as you falsely claim. Some were women.

#3 Fairfax County is a Democratic stronghold, if the identities of these judges are so detrimental, why are Democrats voting these judges in?

#4 It is racist by definition to assume that a judge needs to be your skin color to rule on the law fairly in your circumstance. There was a time when Democrats were sane enough to see that.

Quote:
Lol, as if you people even care. This is not a news story. When I googled it, I saw maybe 3 small time links to it. People have more important things to get up in arms about.
Apparently your side cares enough to actually do this asinine policy.

Old 12-25-2020, 03:49 PM

6,138 posts, read 4,624,261 times
I'm a bigger fan of providing the primary source of the material rather than what some unknown source named "Twitchy" says. Here is the actual judge's opinion that gives the judge's side of the story:

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/circui...e-shipp-jr.pdf

Somewhat related to the original issue that was posted, the OP's topic got me interested in the design of the courtroom and what kind of impression this makes on people who may be in front of the court at some point. I thought this gave a pretty fascinating analysis:

https://blog.fentress.com/blog/is-yo...n-intimidating

Old 12-26-2020, 04:04 PM

5,090 posts, read 1,676,236 times
How is this not racist?

Old 12-26-2020, 04:24 PM

52,322 posts, read 52,784,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
How is this not racist?
Because it's against white people. White hetro males are the evil ones, didn't you know that?

Old 12-28-2020, 08:37 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,774,629 times
Quote:
Right? Much better to be up in arms about what other people think about things that you don't think are important.

Seriously though, this internet tactic of defending the indefensible from lefty fellow travelers by attacking people who notice is so pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies