Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 07:30 AM

1,679 posts, read 1,800,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Those are not part of the stimulus bill. They are part of the Omnibus Budget Bill. You need to understand the budget process (or lack thereof) before writing topics on it.
My misstep derived from reading the Federal funded bills and mislabeling one with the other. The single packaged bill(s) should be notated as irresponsible.

I take the hit on my part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 07:33 AM

612 posts, read 241,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
These were not in the stimulus bill. Thread fail.
Not really a fail. They pinned the bills together, so in order to get the Covid relief bill passed, the other bill gets passed with it. That's the games they play.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:11 AM

26,867 posts, read 22,731,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug1967 View Post
Not really a fail. They pinned the bills together, so in order to get the Covid relief bill passed, the other bill gets passed with it. That's the games they play.

^

This.
And media is out there to help.
Because this is what it's passing around as "Covid relief bill."
Although they are very much aware of what it REALLY is. The "omnibus."

Can such media be trusted, honestly speaking?

I am glad that public is looking into all this now, and as ironic as it might sound to some - thanks to Trump in many ways.

Because he is the one who exposed it, even at the expense of support from his own party.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:01 PM

8,376 posts, read 3,865,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
^

This.
And media is out there to help.
Because this is what it's passing around as "Covid relief bill."
Although they are very much aware of what it REALLY is. The "omnibus."

Can such media be trusted, honestly speaking?

I am glad that public is looking into all this now, and as ironic as it might sound to some - thanks to Trump in many ways.

Because he is the one who exposed it, even at the expense of support from his own party.
What did he expose? The Omnibus bill has more or less what he asked for.

For example:

Congress set aside $25 million for democracy and gender studies in Pakistan. Trump's initial proposal asked for $15 million for democracy and $10 million for gender studies in Pakistan. What is there for Trump to complain about?

Congress set aside $505 million for Central America. Trump's initial proposal asked for $519 million. So Trump is now complaining about it?

Most of these foreign spending proposals were in Trump's proposal.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:18 PM

5,480 posts, read 2,138,666 times
I think there should be a law that says each and every bill submitted must cover only one issue and no other funds unrelated should be packed into the bill.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:39 PM

8,376 posts, read 3,865,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I think there should be a law that says each and every bill submitted must cover only one issue and no other funds unrelated should be packed into the bill.
Those laws exist. Just not for federal.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:41 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,017,482 times
Money always being filitered to crap or front companies for the rich to funnel. Give it to directly to the poor and Middle class as they should, people could be funded for the next year until hopefully COVID is eradicted.

They can but they won't. Why pay taxes? What about taxation without representation? The only ones being represented are foreign countries and the typical rich scum. The average american citizen is always stuck getting the bread crumbs

Old 12-26-2020, 01:11 PM

854 posts, read 340,348 times
My brother is the vice president of international marketing for a large fortune 500 retailer. It is a company who's name you would all recognize, they operate world wide. This company has an in house anthropology department. They do detailed anthropological studies of all the countries they do business in. They do general studies, individual ethnographic studies of the various subcultures within each country and very detailed studies of the rules of business culture and also consumer culture. They use this to produce guide books for each country. These are proprietary and are considered important enough that only high level employees have access to them and are not allowed to remove them from company premises. Everyone is expected to read a countries book from cover to cover before going to that country for the first time. I was told that their book on China is over a thousand pages so these are intensive studies.

While spending money to do gender studies in Pakistan may sound like a liberal arts boondoggle, we need to remember that Pakistan is one of the most important countries in terms of our security. It is full of people who want to blow us up. If a fortune 500 company wants to know every detail of the culture of the countries they do business in so they can prepare their executives to operate in those countries, it is safe to assume that US security agencies also want the same for the countries they "do business" in. And in those terms almost no country is bigger than Pakistan.

Notice that we aren't spending money on gender studies in Ecuador, or Thailand or the Congo. They didn't pick Pakistan out of a hat. It is a country that we want to know as much about as possible.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:32 PM

39,177 posts, read 51,475,081 times
Not me, but Trump did. Almost all of them are verbatim from his 2021 budget proposal.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:47 PM

34,217 posts, read 17,299,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
My brother is the vice president of international marketing for a large fortune 500 retailer. It is a company who's name you would all recognize, they operate world wide. This company has an in house anthropology department. They do detailed anthropological studies of all the countries they do business in. They do general studies, individual ethnographic studies of the various subcultures within each country and very detailed studies of the rules of business culture and also consumer culture. They use this to produce guide books for each country. These are proprietary and are considered important enough that only high level employees have access to them and are not allowed to remove them from company premises. Everyone is expected to read a countries book from cover to cover before going to that country for the first time. I was told that their book on China is over a thousand pages so these are intensive studies.

While spending money to do gender studies in Pakistan may sound like a liberal arts boondoggle, we need to remember that Pakistan is one of the most important countries in terms of our security. It is full of people who want to blow us up. If a fortune 500 company wants to know every detail of the culture of the countries they do business in so they can prepare their executives to operate in those countries, it is safe to assume that US security agencies also want the same for the countries they "do business" in. And in those terms almost no country is bigger than Pakistan.

Notice that we aren't spending money on gender studies in Ecuador, or Thailand or the Congo. They didn't pick Pakistan out of a hat. It is a country that we want to know as much about as possible.
That does not justify manipulating votes by tying a funding bill (which included Pakistan $) to a stimulus bill.

Each should have been "stand alone" bills.

PS: I do realize marketing departments jobs are to ascertain how to get people to spend on their stuff, when they on their own, would not choose to do so. Another term for that is manipulation, btw. So their studies differ little from military intelligence operations in terms of what they would study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies