Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 05:47 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times

Advertisements

Most of the hate is spewed online. In person, there is a real risk of getting your jaw jacked when pushing your views on another in a heated manner. I am pretty moderate/centrist, but my more liberal friends are far less forgiving of opposing views than my conservative friends. You would think it would be the opposite in theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 05:55 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Most of the hate is spewed online. In person, there is a real risk of getting your jaw jacked when pushing your views on another in a heated manner. I am pretty moderate/centrist, but my more liberal friends are far less forgiving of opposing views than my conservative friends. You would think it would be the opposite in theory.
I think it had to do with Trump being in power. The right winger could be all “yea yea, we are in power. Whatever.” While the left were pissed at Trump. I’m betting it swaps once Biden is in power.

I agree with most hate being online. Anonymous keyboard cowboys have balls of steal. The steal turns to molasses when face to face.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:04 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times
The OP's premise is totally wrong.

The Fragile States Index in 2020 ranks the US at 149. Has the OP not heard of places like Yemen and Somalia? The US is 94th by homicide rate.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:08 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,078,314 times
It is far easier to demonize those who have a different POV. One thinks they know more than the lessers.

And some groups have spent years and plenty of money teaching us that the other POV holder is inferior. Arrogance and ignorance outweigh common sense. Especially when the arrogant ignorant ones think they are the smart ones.

I have never witnessed anybody at a school board meeting asking for more civics and government instruction.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:09 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,418,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
Oh brother I guess you wanted to beat all those will say Trump to the punch.

There has been hate in this world since the first human was on it. In these modern times the world is connected within seconds. We know what everyone else is doing. Things get leaked, things get hacked. Political differences between the parties and with people in general. Religion. Social media. Entitlement. Power. The list is long.

It was already there, just simmering. But Trump did welcome it. He thinks when there's chaos. He can control people. That only works with the ignorant ones.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:16 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
A LOT of the disgusting hatred comes from bloated, sickly, unhealthy people
who live off junkfood.

I know that above sounds kinda odd. But if you don't think being very overweight or obese, and living off garbage-quality food, does not negatively impact how you treat people, I question your logic-process.

The nasty, cranky frownyfaces that I run into usually look very unhealthy and are
very overweight or obese.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:16 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
I'm sure it has something to do with many (such as myself) that feel the concepts of days gone by, which lent a manner of sensibility to this country have been relentlessly attacked and there are forces at work to completely eliminate them.

Such as the concept of working for a living, not living off of welfare and freebies thrown at one when they decide to step aside and not work. Also concepts such as "gay rights" coming on strong with their rights to have gender changes done on the tax payers dollars, as if being a "freak" is a good thing (NOT!).

Then there are the endless funds being taken to support the millions of illegals that have NO business gaining ANY benefits being here. In latter days they came up here to do their work, then went home still reaping the benefits of income earned while here. Now they think we're obligated to fund their children, child care, healthcare and housing.........NOT!

The list is endless but those are two very irritating examples of today's society movements that are a bunch of crap. The sick liberals all trying to destroy those things that this country has always been and thrived upon is an abomination. There you have it.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Americans are so easy to manipulate by what they read as most people aren't educated enough to use proper judgement. You go to other countries or meet people from Europe or Asia and most of them don't trust the government or what they read online. Also in Europe and Asia you don't see the news sensationalize certain stories as much. News in other countries can be boring because they deliver news rather than opinions like CNN and FoxNews deliver more opinion pieces.

And finally I think in America, identity is becoming too much in this country. In other country being gay or coming out isn't a big celebrated deal anymore. It seems Americans love to promote identity. I see a lot of people support BLM, but what does that mean really?

Old 12-25-2020, 06:18 PM

1,926 posts, read 557,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
So far it doesn’t sound like anyone has a valid answer. I’m just hearing “they suck and we know better so we hate them.” On both sides.

I’m still leaning toward Americans being glued to social media and highly divided opinionated “news” networks looking to stoke emotions for profits. That is the only difference I see between the US and other nations, many of which also have divided governments and political opinions. Yet in the US we are drowning in hate.
Xenophobia
Xenophobia (from Ancient Greek: ξένος, romanized: xénos, meaning "stranger" or "foreigner", and phóbos, meaning "fear"[1]) is the fear or hatred of that which is perceived to be foreign or strange.[2][3][4] It is an expression of perceived conflict between an ingroup and an outgroup and may manifest in suspicion by the one of the other's activities, a desire to eliminate their presence, and fear of losing national, ethnic or racial identity.

The concept of an ingroup or outgroup can occur within a country as well as without. Whether you accept the 'reasons' offered in this thread or not, it has become increasingly demanding by various groups on a variety of controversial subjects that 'you must agree with my views or you are ('fill in the blank') !! This insistence on lockstep thinking and actions has replaced 'to each his own, live and let live', and heaven forbid.....'compromise' in dealing with others.

You are perhaps being too lenient concerning the results of divided governments and political opinions of other countries. Some exhibit more hatred though we may be closing the gap quickly. At least we have not yet entered into genocide.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Many scandals have been uncovered
Prior to internet media news we did not know anything about it
Internet media has forced main stream media to explain
Ignorance was bliss
Now you know why Facebook is on the hot seat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies