Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 01:49 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Ya got me, still does not negate what I stated about Huntsville.
Right. So next time do yourself a favor and ask which city has the most engineers per capita, not which state has the most engineers per capita.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 01:57 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Right. So next time do yourself a favor and ask which city has the most engineers per capita, not which state has the most engineers per capita.

You are right.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:16 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I grew up around NYC. In the 70's it was a dump. It is now probably 10 times nicer than it was back then.
I'm curious as to what makes it better now compared to in the '70s. Care to explain?

Old 12-27-2020, 02:21 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I used to think politics was an overrated factor in places with population decline. But living in California, I can't believe the nonsense the Dems pull, from taxes that entice people to move away, to urban policies that make homelessness worse. Even much praised Austin, Texas is seeing homelessness downtown because the dopey mayor opened the doors for them to setup tents right on Congress Ave.

I now can't help but think that a few GOP mayors or a California GOP governor, could really fix things. State and local Dems are owned by public sector unions and those unions do little other than push for tax increases to support member benefits. This also creates an insular relationship between those unions and the governors/mayors who won't support any creativity in public policy. This is why barely functioning Baltimore has struggled to build charter schools - it's not money, but the teachers union.

I voted for Biden, so I'm not some hard core GOPer. But experience seems to be showing that Dems can really ruin places at a local level, and I'm starting to think homelessness and crime in cities would be lower with GOP leadership in larger cities.
Here are three cities that have been run by the democrats forever. You decide:

Baltimore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHrnVI0EvHk

Philadelphia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YShDiDyYqMw

Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrlQOj7BcBM

Old 12-27-2020, 02:36 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
I used to think politics was an overrated factor in places with population decline. But living in California, I can't believe the nonsense the Dems pull, from taxes that entice people to move away, to urban policies that make homelessness worse. Even much praised Austin, Texas is seeing homelessness downtown because the dopey mayor opened the doors for them to setup tents right on Congress Ave.

I now can't help but think that a few GOP mayors or a California GOP governor, could really fix things. State and local Dems are owned by public sector unions and those unions do little other than push for tax increases to support member benefits. This also creates an insular relationship between those unions and the governors/mayors who won't support any creativity in public policy. This is why barely functioning Baltimore has struggled to build charter schools - it's not money, but the teachers union.

I voted for Biden, so I'm not some hard core GOPer. But experience seems to be showing that Dems can really ruin places at a local level, and I'm starting to think homelessness and crime in cities would be lower with GOP leadership in larger cities.
Austin became what it is because of the Chamber of Commerce, Business and Investment Community moved in and took over. The homeless are a consequence of accelerating housing and rental cost created by the rich paying well above top dollar and pushing housing costs well beyond what they can afford.

Your low skilled service workers could afford the rent before they came along.
Look at housing costs 40 years ago vs today.
Some may say the homeless should move.
No, Many of the homeless are native to the area. It is the rich and business class that are the invaders.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
We live in a single party nation. Republicans and Democrats are both heavily beholden to corporations and corporate interest, meaning the poor will not be getting any big breaks any time soon. Don't look to Trump, McConnel or Biden to save America's working poor, because they aren't going to do it.
Agreed.
I look to it getting worse because neither party has even made a serious glance at addressing it especially when they are in pockets of the corporations and banks.

The best we can do is show how evil these people are in the social media, internet and forums.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:54 PM

182 posts, read 94,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I live in California. Best economy in the nation with the most opportunity for creative businesses. No. 1 in manufacturing. The ridiculous cost of living and homelessness is a symptom of success, not failure. Too much demand and not enough supply. If some people and some businesses move out, I see it as a healthy market correction, not the end of the world.
I always laugh when I see "best economy" because it never takes in account cost of living, taxes, and wages. Progressives always talk about how California is the highest GDP, and forget to mention that red states with far better cost of living, no state income tax, and wages equal or just under fall into the number 2 and 4 spot.

Another thing about your fake parasitic economy is.... It survives on the constriction of the other lower 48. Your states strong arms environmental and workforce regulations forcing businesses from other states to either go out of business or offshore their manufacturing. Its hilarious how you boast about California being number one in manufacturing, since its entirely due to unequal regulation forcing work to China, and California geographical position being number one to recieve all those blood diamonds.

The U.S is waking up to this, and its only a matter of time till your stronghold on the U.S economy crumbles, along with your inflated ego, mortgage, and lifestyle. I'm sure all the drug addicted have nots will take care of your family as they rip them out of your house, without having any means to protect them.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
That's what Project Roomkey tried to do -- put homeless into empty motels and hotels.

See https://laist.com/2020/06/09/project...oronavirus.php

Here's the problem: many homeless prefer living on the streets. It's their chosen lifestyle. Even if you give them a free room, they won't move in. You can't force them. So now what? It's not a Dem or Rep issue.
So you are saying the hundreds of WORKING HOMELESS are homeless by choice?
There are many living out of their cars and working but the pay is peanuts and cannot afford the outrageous cost of housing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B_UZyT0nShI

Old 12-27-2020, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I'm curious as to what makes it better now compared to in the '70s. Care to explain?
Like ... everything. When I said it was a dump back then, that's exactly what I mean. There were some nice areas of Manhattan and elsewhere that were nice, but probably 60% of the city was a dump. Nowadays I might consider 10% of the city to be a dump.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Here are three cities that have been run by the democrats forever. You decide ...
And here are three other cities that have been run by the democrats forever. You decide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xly3YJImi2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ8ea5SjcCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fnzcTGYj_k
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies