Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 09:44 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
In America, one doesn't have to prove their innocence. We fought a Revolutionary War over things like that.
The incident was not a court case.

You may not have to prove the phone is yours, but in the interest of resolving the situation most peacefully it might be the best approach.

Show her it is your phone, then offer to dial her number and see if anyone answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 10:07 PM

227 posts, read 97,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

You may not have to prove the phone is yours, but in the interest of resolving the situation most peacefully it might be the best approach.

Show her it is your phone, then offer to dial her number and see if anyone answers.
No. The hell?

Best approach is telling her to keep it moving. I don't have to prove anything to some drunk stranger.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:08 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:

I would not do anything for a woman who was yelling to me that way. Telling me to take off my phone case. Yelling at me in a hotel lobby. Physically trying to grab me and my phone. And then to have a manager gang up and also demand that I do what they say. And this is a young teen. Embarrassing to say the very very least. Then she gets physical and scratches the dad. What? This person should not be indulged. She can not demand that others do as she needs. And she has no reason to think that the boy has her phone.
Damn right I would not allow my son to acquiesce in that situation. Especially if my son were black. Be polite but stand up for yourself. There is a long and sad Black American history that is top of mind for any parent of black teen and this is a teaching moment. And boy would I be angry as a paying guest.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:14 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
And neither is it a court case when law enforcement asks if you mind if they search your car. You going to bow down then too?

Quote:

It was no longer peaceful when she falsely accused someone and demanded they show proof of ownership.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:29 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Lol... I don't know. You sound like the people who refuse to wear masks bc it's your right to do so.

Regardless if it's you, this forum is filled with those types of people. We're going to see the same people agreeing with you here are the same ones who think it's an assault on their freedom and autonomy to just comply with what other people want them to do.
Omg not those pesky rights again!!!

Old 12-27-2020, 10:31 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
She had been missing her phone for 3 days. Why not just cut off service and get a new phone?

Old 12-27-2020, 10:37 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
She had been missing her phone for 3 days. Why not just cut off service and get a new phone?
Who knows? Who care? Just keep your hands and ire away from my child. My black child who is rightfully afraid that any altercation with a White woman could end up bad for him.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:19 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyum View Post
Who knows? Who care? Just keep your hands and ire away from my child. My black child who is rightfully afraid that any altercation with a White woman could end up bad for him.
Couldn't rep you again, yet.

Old 12-28-2020, 06:35 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Parents lie for their kids all the time, regardless if they are black or white. its pretty shameful but i and i am sure many people here have seen it. So taking the fathers word that it was his kids cell phone and him saying "you don't have to explain nothing to her" is just escalating a bad situation. If this happened to me(back too many years ago) my Father would have told me to show her the cell phone(2 sec to prove it was his) then told the lady to apologize for being wrong. If she refused to apologize at that point then there certainly would have been words. The advent of cell phone videos seems to make us all too quick to film it and escalate instead of trying to resolve. This is especially true when we "know" we are right and don't take even a second to see the situation from the other persons viewpoint.
He doesn't have to explain anything to her. An accused has a right to remain silent. And the burden of proof is on the accuser.

It appears the hotel manager, instead of investigating this, not only took her side without her showing proof, but held the man and his son against their liberty, having no authority to do so. There are no excuses, here.

Old 12-28-2020, 07:54 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You accuse me of having your phone based on.... well, nothing at all evidently, I wouldn't give you anything more than "No, it's not. Jog on...".
Well, that's what he did and she pressed the issue to the point of violence.

She's obviously nuts, no normal person behaves that way and at a certain point it's not about making a statement and more about making her leave you alone. Always defuse the situation if you can no matter how much her behavior angers you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies