Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 09:41 AM

726 posts, read 329,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I voted Trump twice.
What? Can I take back my up vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 09:45 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Disappointing, for once he was on solid ground.
Sad that he’s managed to fool you so well. He was never on solid ground here. It was another stunt solely to service his psychological failings.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
i dont think its over yet. i have been listening to the news this morning, and the House and Senate have to vote today on whether to agree to Trump's conditions. House is ok with it, Senate Repubs feel its a bad use of money. The Senate might be the one to put the kabosh on it all. But if the Repub Senate says no, then the next week, the GA runoff might suffer and people will be so mad at the Repubs, they wont vote for Loeffler and Perdue. its totally 3D chess at this point.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:52 AM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Would Congress even be thinking about voting today for the $2000 checks if Trump hadn't done what he did? Nope, they would have been content with the $600 and would have left it at that.

Why do people expect Trump to immediately sign the bill without knowing what was in it? It was a massive bill that takes time to go through, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump checked out.

Two bills were meshed, Stimulus and 2021 Appropriations.

The source of the $600 was Mnuchin who is on vaca in Mexico, right now. $600 was far less than what Nancy wanted and far more than what Mitch could sell to a faction of Republicans in the Senate. They compromised.

Over time, Trump has been all over the board as it relates to another stimulus. In early October, he made clear he would sign a standalone bill for $1200 per person. It did not happen. Had it, it might have increased his chances of winning the election. A faction of Republican in the Senate would not play ball. They may have cost Trump the best shot at a win.

As I understand it, under the latest, a family of 2 adults and 2 children could receive a $5200 tax free payment, likely far more cash than tens of millions of people have ever had at any point in time. They would receive it regardless if they have suffered any setback related to Covid, or not.

There are thousands of micro economies in the US and $5200 goes a lot further in some economies than others.
There is nothing that compels these funds to be used towards back rent and the intent is a continued moratorium of evictions and certain foreclosures which is an intentional time bomb.

Then there’s the arbitrary income cap, $75,000 for individuals and $150,000/ household who get $0.00.
It’s a cliff with no phase out. One guy had an AGI of $74,999.99 in 2019 gets a payday while his neighbor with an AGI of $ 75,00.01 does not.

At the end of the day, it’s all about a massive handout with the expectation the masses will spend it on stuff to stimulate the economy.
Please point out where you'd answered the two questions I had asked, in the post of mine that you'd quoted.

Old 12-28-2020, 09:56 AM

589 posts, read 300,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone1791 View Post
They won't see it because it's not true. There is plenty in the bill for taxpayers, especially unemployed taxpayers, small businesses, renters, you know -- people who are hurting during this global pandemic.
Sure it may help some but for some, the only thing they may get is the 600 and that's it for a 2.4 TRILLION bill. Not everyone qualifies for unemployment just because they are unemployed and most of the money for small businesses went to large corps and churches, which are run as a business. Finally, not sure how, we renters benefit since rent is still being paid.

Even IF small businesses actually got some help with this bill AND unemployment is extended, while they advertise it as going to help the Taxpayers the most, it's STILL a FRACTION of what the bill that is going to help Taxpayers. In other words, we get crumbs of crumbs while everyone else benefits of this massive bill. I don't know how anyone can cheer on for getting crumbs. Again, MOST of the bill doesn't help the Taxpayers, MOST of the money is going everywhere else but to Taxpayers.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:29 AM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scot892 View Post
Sure it may help some but for some, the only thing they may get is the 600 and that's it for a 2.4 TRILLION bill. Not everyone qualifies for unemployment just because they are unemployed and most of the money for small businesses went to large corps and churches, which are run as a business. Finally, not sure how, we renters benefit since rent is still being paid.

Even IF small businesses actually got some help with this bill AND unemployment is extended, while they advertise it as going to help the Taxpayers the most, it's STILL a FRACTION of what the bill that is going to help Taxpayers. In other words, we get crumbs of crumbs while everyone else benefits of this massive bill. I don't know how anyone can cheer on for getting crumbs. Again, MOST of the bill doesn't help the Taxpayers, MOST of the money is going everywhere else but to Taxpayers.
Yep. Democrats are making sure that even those who are here illegally will be receiving checks for more money than the $600 that American citizens will get this time. It's estimated that there's about 22 million illegals here and they will receive checks for $1800.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:29 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Trump did get the provision for the House to vote on the $2,000 checks, so if Pelosi fails, the Dems look like the bad guys who dished out $600 worth of crumbs, instead of $2,000 worth.

It will be interesting to see if Pelousy can pull it off.

I have not read all the details yet, did Trump get ANY Pork removed?

When Medicare and Social Security begins to fail in the next few years, we'll look back on all of this wreckless spending, with great anger

Our debt now exceeds the size of our annual GDP, which is a tipping point for lenders who buy our debt.

Our ability to control global instest rates is in peril, and when that goes, the house of cards implodes.

Soon, Medicare and Social Security, will need to be means tested. That will be the 1st sign they are failing.
Doubt it. Nobody has taken debt at all seriously since Bill Clinton. The Democrats don't even bother pretending it's a thing anymore while Republicans gobble up neocon garbage or Trump's fantasies about growing the economy so fast he'll outrun the debt. The last place people will look back and say, damn, we really should have held politicians feet to the fire starting way back with Dubya at the very latest. It's where they should look, but they won't.

Nothing I can do about that, so I do what I can control and live within my means and figure I'll only get about half what Social Security is currently paying out. Won't suck that much for me since I won't need that 15,000 a year to survive. I'll definitely miss it but I won't need it. Hopefully anyway. Lot can happen in 30 years before I get to retirement.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:53 AM

726 posts, read 329,010 times
Quote:
Yep. Democrats are making sure that even those who are here illegally will be receiving checks for more money than the $600 that American citizens will get this time. It's estimated that there's about 22 million illegals here and they will receive checks for $1800.

Incorrect.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:56 AM

589 posts, read 300,106 times
Quote:
Yep, that's pretty appalling. Talk about slap in the face to our laws and yet their supporters cheer on for the pittance that this bill will actually do to help us Taxpayers. Just unbelievable!

Old 12-28-2020, 11:05 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,348,063 times
Quote:
It's estimated that there's about 22 million illegals here and they will receive checks for $1800.
Family members of illegal immigrants will get checks-not the illegal immigrants themselves. Those family members must be either residents or citizens, meaning they are here legally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies