Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 05:08 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Are you truly this misinformed AND lazy? Unable to even use google. Man you must have it rough. Here let me help you.

Nope, maybe you did not understand my question, with the response you provided?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
March 15th:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hous...ry?id=70681205

That one sat on the GOP senate leaders desk, and is still sitting there. Then the house passed the new one that Republicans demanded...and even then it looks like the president isnt on board. Despite his representative negotiating much of it.

LOL, are you really saying that what just passed the house, is that exact same thing as your March 15th bill?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 05:20 PM

26,786 posts, read 22,545,020 times
[quote=Ringo1;60016506]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post

According to Republicans - the answer to your questions is YES.

Well, SOME of them.
The last I've checked - Trump was a not a Democrat)))
( Neither is Josh Hawley of MO, who is pushing for that increased check. )

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sti...id-relief-bill

Those two republicans from Georgia ( whatever their names are) seem to be in favor of it as well.
So you need to start watching closely WHO DOES WHAT now, in spite of the party affiliation.

https://www.axios.com/ron-johnson-ha...aa833c37c.html

Old 12-29-2020, 05:43 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
How many dead people is acceptable for you with your idea? Because too many people will die. Just look at Arizona. It is horrible here. The only reason it isn't as bad as say California is the numbers. Arizona's entire state population is 3 million smaller than the county population of Los Angeles alone. Arizona has 22% case positivity to California's 12%. California is worse by scale, not by real numbers.
AZ is 16th in deaths/MM. Your deaths are basically no worse today than they were end of July.

On Oct 1 (bottom), you had 480 average daily cases, 620 hospitalizations, and 122 in ICU.

Now (peak), you have 6,200 avg daily cases (that's 13x), 4390 hospitalizations (7x), and 1007 in ICU (8x).

Now, you also have an astoundingly high % of ICU on ventilators (70% of ICU patients).

Your Hispanic population is almost 2x the US average. We've been told how much worse it is to be Hispanic and exposed to Covid.

Your 65+ is only slightly above, which is interesting as I thought AZ was a retiree haven.

As to the actual question you pose, my own "figure" would remain the same. Let's concentrate our efforts on 65+ in congregate living, folks with a medical diagnosis that puts them at risk. Let's tell everyone else to social distance and mask up indoors in public places, and let it rip. Because when you do that - protect the vulnerable, and let the others make adult personal choice - then that's the American Way.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:55 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
AZ is 16th in deaths/MM. Your deaths are basically no worse today than they were end of July.

On Oct 1 (bottom), you had 480 average daily cases, 620 hospitalizations, and 122 in ICU.

Now (peak), you have 6,200 avg daily cases (that's 13x), 4390 hospitalizations (7x), and 1007 in ICU (8x).

Now, you also have an astoundingly high % of ICU on ventilators (70% of ICU patients).

Your Hispanic population is almost 2x the US average. We've been told how much worse it is to be Hispanic and exposed to Covid.

Your 65+ is only slightly above, which is interesting as I thought AZ was a retiree haven.

As to the actual question you pose, my own "figure" would remain the same. Let's concentrate our efforts on 65+ in congregate living, folks with a medical diagnosis that puts them at risk. Let's tell everyone else to social distance and mask up indoors in public places, and let it rip. Because when you do that - protect the vulnerable, and let the others make adult personal choice - then that's the American Way.
Mortality and mobility increases with age, BMI, and certain blood types.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 12-29-2020, 05:57 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
so if we get the $2,000, here is what will happen. Biden promises to void out the Trump tax break we got a year or so ago. that gave people like me $2,000 in tax break. so Biden will null and void the $2,000 covid stimulus check we will get this week or next.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:01 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
How many dead people is acceptable for you with your idea? Because too many people will die. Just look at Arizona. It is horrible here. The only reason it isn't as bad as say California is the numbers. Arizona's entire state population is 3 million smaller than the county population of Los Angeles alone. Arizona has 22% case positivity to California's 12%. California is worse by scale, not by real numbers.
And how many destroyed lives are acceptable to you?

As of now, the government would have to cut me a check for $86,000 to make up for what I’ve lost. My family is hanging on, but barely. We need restrictions to end now. Not in another three months, another six months, 2022... right the heck now.

And there are millions of me out there. Far more than have died from Covid. I think YOU, and those like you, are the selfish ones at this point in time. The old folks and the Covid-petrified need to start doing their share and protect themselves for the good of millions of Americans.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:02 PM

6% of people have tested positive - and undoubtedly more than 2x as many have had the virus

5% of those people have been hospitalized
1.8% of those who have tested positive have died.

347,000 people have died. For 1 year, that will be a top 3 cause of death (I'll guess we hit 500K by end of March, but it will be less than that).

You could pick the easiest figure - anything under 600K (heart disease every year, year after year).

You could pick 675,000 - estimated US deaths from the Spanish flu.

You could pick 463,000, which would be the same infection rate as the Spanish flu, but only our current mortality rate.

You could pick 1,000,000, which in many ways is an incredibly grim number.

You could pick 2,160,000, which would be the same % of the US population as the Spanish flu.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
economists say (and argue ) that a good portion of all income is not reported, because of "off the books", "under the table" income (the argument is exactly how much of a "good portion"...economist say on the low side 17%, and as high as 52%, and generally compromise as 35%)
completely discounting what portion of this might be illegal aliens (or drugs, or gambling, or other illegal activities) - here comes the catch for those who have chosen for years to rely on off-books income ... you're not going to get now what you would have gotten if you followed the rules all along.

Old 12-29-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Right.
You do that ( admire yourself in the mirror.)

The rest of us will look elsewhere; namely - the news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbKeucVcUR4
a nearly 6 month old video to make your point? interesting.

What is the deadline on using old and outdated information in your world?

If it rained last Wednesday, do you wear a raincoat and carry an umbrella every Wednesday from now on?

Old 12-29-2020, 06:12 PM

30,430 posts, read 21,248,616 times
2000 is not gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies