Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 08:09 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
You’re missing the point that there are far more people in my situation than there are those who have died from the virus. If all you’re concerned with is death, then you’re being short-sighted. But hey, I suppose you don’t care about the 30 million unemployed people whose lives are being ruined. They’re still alive, so they’re fine?

People will start returning to a more normal routine if they are allowed. Not all of them, but enough. Did you do any shopping prior to Christmas? The stores were packed. If those big retail stores can go about their business - to the point that you can’t even find a parking spot outside - then there is no reason other businesses can only have 10 people inside.

Tens of millions of people have had a family member go to the hospital? I think your numbers are a bit off there. People have come home from a medical appointment and wondered if they have Covid? Beg pardon, but so what? How does that ruin them?

You DID SOMETHING by writing to your representatives? That’s the best one yet. They don’t give a rat’s ass that you wrote to them. You didn’t do squat. I went out and found a job. A crap job that doesn’t pay what my old job did, but it’s work. Shall we compare what you did with what I did? You think if I just wrote to my senators that would fix things? What a joke.

That figure I came up with is a very conservative combination of lost income and savings spent. If you look at opportunity cost lost, it could potentially be much higher, with loss of investment earnings and interest. Having too many people like me left with no disposable income and reduced future spending is more of a problem than many, many of you realize.

Start thinking long term here. This will affect you at some point, whether you realize it, or not, and the longer we wait around before getting people back to work, the worse the fallout for ALL of us will be.
mkpunk didn't get to work summer camp through his school system since it was cancelled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 08:12 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
it was $11.99 here.........
$12/lb for prime rib is still inexpensive.

admittedly, this was a special at my large regional supermarket. Sorry yours didn't have one. Looking at Costco today, all their meat was back to January '20 prices. Folks have to remember, shutting down meat-packing plants for even 2 weeks, or limiting production for a month, has a big difference on supply and thus price shocks.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:15 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,016,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

admittedly, this was a special at my large regional supermarket. Sorry yours didn't have one. Looking at Costco today, all their meat was back to January '20 prices. Folks have to remember, shutting down meat-packing plants for even 2 weeks, or limiting production for a month, has a big difference on supply and thus price shocks.
no biggie.........I actually prefer turkey on the holidays..........

Old 12-29-2020, 08:20 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
I don't need to google anything beyond your choice of a 6 month old piece of evidence.

the first half of your answer is akin to saying "If it rained yesterday, and there's any chance of rain for the next 10 days, we should require everyone to carry umbrellas".

It's OK to disagree honestly on the issues. Just try to be honest about them.

The links I posted here were NOT 6 months old ( I'd be happy to know that it was done and over with already 6 months ago.)
They are of this month. And I know that the numbers of infected people still keep on climbing ( at least in the state I live in.)

So talking about "honesty" here.

And no, I didn't go shopping before Christmas - I don't like playing that "Russian roulette" you know, without the dire necessity.
Yes, some of us might be unaffected and some of us can be bedridden for months ( that's the part I am concerned the most, actually,) and some of us can end up dead.

So what do you want the gov. to do?
To pretend that nothing is happening?

Last edited by erasure; 12-29-2020 at 09:46 PM..

Old 12-30-2020, 04:53 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:

Sometimes it goes on sale dale for $5.99.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:05 AM

5,068 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The links I posted here were NOT 6 months old ( I'd be happy to know that it was done and over with already 6 months ago.)
They are of this month. And I know that the numbers of infected people still keep on climbing ( at least in the state I live in.)

So talking about "honesty" here.

And no, I didn't go shopping before Christmas - I don't like playing that "Russian roulette" you know, without the dire necessity.
Yes, some of us might be unaffected and some of us can be bedridden for months ( that's the part I am concerned the most, actually,) and some of us can end up dead.

So what do you want the gov. to do?
To pretend that nothing is happening?
I want them to let people and businesses make their own choices. It’s that simple. And I don’t want to hear about protecting the elderly anymore. There ARE ways they can be protected. Have their caregivers limit their own exposure as a condition of employment. Almost every store in our town has delivery. In PA, my MIL orders groceries over the phone (our internet is spotty), drives to the store, and they bring the food to her car. Doctors offices have figured out how to see patients and keep them apart from one another. And on and on.

Yes, some younger people will get sick. As has been noted over and over, for those under the age of 50, this virus is less deadly than the flu, particularly for children. School transmission is relatively rare. We have a vaccine that will soon be available to those who want it. No more excuses.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:06 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
6% of people have tested positive - and undoubtedly more than 2x as many have had the virus

5% of those people have been hospitalized
1.8% of those who have tested positive have died.

347,000 people have died. For 1 year, that will be a top 3 cause of death (I'll guess we hit 500K by end of March, but it will be less than that).

You could pick the easiest figure - anything under 600K (heart disease every year, year after year).

You could pick 675,000 - estimated US deaths from the Spanish flu.

You could pick 463,000, which would be the same infection rate as the Spanish flu, but only our current mortality rate.

You could pick 1,000,000, which in many ways is an incredibly grim number.

You could pick 2,160,000, which would be the same % of the US population as the Spanish flu.
Less than 10K have died from COVID-19. All the others had "other" illnesses that would have killed them anyway. If a person gets dies from a gunshot wound while robbing a store and also has COVID-19, they are counted as a "covid death". The numbers are fake.

Old 12-30-2020, 07:10 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
sadly it’s going to take 200M on the streets homeless and dying of starvation for this country to step up and hold these “leaders” accountable. Where are the protests over this outrage? Guess it’s too cold outside

We are in this situation because we have Allowed ourselves to be. It’s that simple

Old 12-30-2020, 07:13 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
it was $11.99 here.........
Being that a standard serving of meat is 4oz, that is affordable for anyone.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:09 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
the $600 checks are being sent out right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies